Smilin' Chi-town party - WOW

Audio Flynn

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a great time - Mapletree preamp - Craigs power amps, Quicksilvers, 3 Scotts, my McIntosh C22/MC240 - Rega TT - Craigs Sony SACD - Cornwalls, Veticals, Hereseys and Chorus were all present but the Zebra CW's were what was used with all this fine gear. All of the gear sounded great - I'll leave Smilin to comment first...2.gif

PS - Great group of guys and I think we all still have our hearing 11.gif

----------------

On 1/25/2004 11:12:24 PM DeanG wrote:

I'm kind of worried about them over there. I'm thinking they might have burnt the place down to the ground.

----------------

Where did they find ground??

----------------

On 1/25/2004 11:16:22 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 1/25/2004 11:14:12 PM MarkBK wrote:

BTW...I do have some pics - will post if all attendees are comfortable.

----------------

Screw the attendies. Post them pics!

----------------

THAT'S the forum spirit!! You tell 'em Gary!

forrest

(p.s. Gary, I was really imressed with your use of 'ain't' in another thread the other day! Great word, ain't it?)

----------------

On 1/25/2004 11:16:22 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 1/25/2004 11:14:12 PM MarkBK wrote:

BTW...I do have some pics - will post if all attendees are comfortable.

----------------

----------------

forrest

(p.s. Gary, I was really imressed with your use of 'ain't' in another thread the other day! Great word, ain't it?)

Smilin is a gracious and generous host for which I thank him. Nice bunch of fellas; easygoing and unpretentious.

Heard some very good sound and some very bad sound, I ain't saying what but it ain't the Cornwalls that were the problem. Some of the electronics and sources used were very nice and some were in the dentist drill catagory.

I bought a pair of old Hereseys from Smilin, hooked 'em up at home, they sound OK but I'm not sure thay're as good tonally as the little KRKs, I'll play with them more tomorrow.

----------------

On 1/25/2004 11:26:47 PM Woodog wrote:

----------------

forrest

----------------

Thanks Forrest (I think). Occasionally you just gotta speak your mind and there ain't no one on this forum that can tell me otherwise.11.gif

Wiating eagerly for more details. Hoping Craig's new amps aren't the dentist's drill.9.gif I'm sure they're not.

It's snowing like a b!tch right now. If I do get into work tomorrow, I expect a call from you Smilin, or Craig, or both!4.gif

Had a great time. Steve had a great supply of food, smokes and was a great host. Unfortunately my digital camara did not cooporate with me so I have no PICS8.gif Im sure by tomarrow there will be pics posted.

here is a quick birds eye view since I have to get to bed soon.

I got there at 11:00 am. Craig and Steve were having power problems in 3/4 of Steves house so we kept swapping amps in the front of Steves HT since it was the only place that had good power.

The first amp I heard was a Scott (did not catch the number) It sounded good, but I thought the bass decay was a bit fast compared to the midrange. I bet it would have sounded better on LAS or Khorns than Cornwalls.

Second we listened to Craigs homebuilt NOSValves VRD monoblocks. All I can say is VERY impressive http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=44046

Third we hooked up Steves newly aquired quicksilvers. They were disappointing at first, but then Craig figured out the problem and after a 10 min warmup they were driving the Cornwalls much better. They sounded good, had a very good bass slam for tube amps but sounded almost like SS amps IMO. But to be fair, they were as is when Steve purchased them and were possibley not in the best of shape as compared to the rest of the group, and probably need some work.

Third we listened to an absolutely pristine Mc240. I personally was glad to have the 240 there. As many of you know I am an old Macintosh guy but I drive Khrons so it was nice to have a reference to what a MC sounds like on Cornwalls. The solid bass slam and mellow midrange was good for me to use as a reference. Very nice.

Out of all the amps we heard, I enjoyed the NOSValves VRD the most. His amps had a very nice overall smoothness, good bass slam and bass sustain better than most tubes, almost a mcintosh type presence. Had a great midrange presentation and probably the best overall soundstage imaging of the group we heard.

Was great to meet more of the Chicago group. Nice group of guys. Kind of fun to put more faces and personality behind the writings here on the Forum.

Thanks Steve M for having us over. I had a great time.

I'll let somebody else do more fill ins now, I know this is brief and a lot of you want more details, but I got to get to bed....

JM

Dean---Volume was often very loud but I don't think the speakers were overdriven, some of the amps used may have been. In any case the sound quality ranged from excellent to problematic. In my opinion you understand.

That's OK, at it's worst the sound was better than the Lowthers I heard yesterday at the Chicago Horn Club meeting.

I was tripping over speakers, amps and other equipment that had tubes. The Santana vinyl was outstanding coming through the Zebra Cornwalls.

The bash was very educational to me because it gave me the opportunity to see what others are doing with their equipment.

Got a chance to meet Craig who worked on our Fisher KX-200 that was purchased (and put together by my wife back in the 60s) at Allied Radio in Chi Town.

I really enjoyed and learned a few things from the folk that were there and the host was the greatest.

Huhuru

10.gif

All I can say is my first 24 hours at Steves abode was a living hell 2.gif . I have no technical explaination for the horible issues we had in 2 areas of Steves house. It took his wife to figure it out ! Of coarse us Idiot men refuse to listen to here at first !! What a women but she would have to be to stay married to Steve 1.gif2.gif .

We heard some real nice equipment today and thank god Tom Lacoutre mentioned moving the system to the home theater area he really saved the day !! I kind of regret that we just never had a chance to roll in my original Mark III's. But there is only so much time.

MarkBK

Absolutely post all the picture you would like. Also could I get you to email me copies ?

Oh and let me tell everyone I met some of the most down to earth and true audio enthuasists today. What a great bunch of guys. I will also say that meeting Tom Brennan was a special treat ! This guy is a endless dictionary of Horn speakers. Something about Klipsters anbd horn lovers in general they are great people ! Steve is a absolute top notch host and his wife should get a friggin award for opening up there awesome home and making me feel at total ease.

Craig