Smilin' Chi-town party - WOW

Audio Flynn

What a great time I had in Chicago! Smilin is an unbelievably gracious host. And one heck of a nice guy. He bent over backwards to make sure the day went perfect.

I had the pleasure of meeting a wonderful group of people who like me, really love their audio.

I'll go ahead and post more thoughts tomorrow. I just walked in the door. My flight back to the West coast was delayed for nearly two hours out of O'Hare. I am totally exhausted after being up for two days straight.

By the way Smilin, maybe you can overnight me one of those pizza's someday. That stuff was KILLER!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a great time, though short lived. I arrived about 10:00 stayed till 12:00, had to take one of my boys to his soccer games.

Set Steve up with my extra TT the Rega P3, spun a few to make sure all was good, by that time I had to go. Wish I could have stayed longer.

I really can't comment on the equipment and sound wasn't there long enough to get my bearings on what I was hearing.

Great bunch of guys, down to earth real people. Glad to see we don't attract stuffed shirts. Thanks Steve for your hospitality, and Craig your a nut.

Tom

Pics will post tonight - schedule permitting.

Once again I'd like to thank Steve and his very understanding family for hosting a bunch of audio freaks. Steve was EXTREMELY gracious and I cannot say thank you enough for the care shown to all our needs.

As to the sound - I did not arrive until 1:00 so I missed the AC antics, missed meeting some of the members (maybe next time guys2.gif)and missed a bit of Craigs new amps, but heard enough to agree with John - for the short time I had to listen - what I heard was impressive. Build quality was excellent. Craigs got some great cosmetic ideas for those also concerned with that aspect.

The front end was a stock new MapleTree preamp Craig had brought along.

Next up was the Quicksilvers. After some delays in BIAS setting, we got down to some listening tests. The amps had a SS sound to my ear too - a bit cold and analytical. Being as they were played straight out of the box and that Craig took them to work his magic - I think the final verdic is yet to be delivered. Craig should be able to update in a month or so.

This was followed by my MC240 and I will reserve comments for other to make as I have a bias toward this amp.

This was followed by the swap out of the MapleTree with my C22 and agian wil leave to others to comment in depth, with one note. There was a perceived increase in warmth and depth of field to my ear. Given that the MapleTree had only a few hours on it, I'm not surprised at the contrast.

As the volume did get out of hand at times, I felt there was more edge to the high end when the MapleTree was pushed. This was less noticable and more comfortable listening levels.

Dan L brought along the Mobile Fidelity Ultra Vinyl disk of Sargent Peppers which we also used to test the Rega. This was done first on the full MC system then on the Scott Integrated (the last amp we listened to Sunday). On the MC the high end sounded slightly harsh to my ear while listening to side one. On the other hand, CD's played on Craigs SONY 333 sounded superb. Could be cartridge? Could be stock MC phono section???

A variety of CD's were listened to - great sound - imaging, dynamics,etc.

Next up - and the last piece we all heard - was the integrated SCOTT that Craig had restored for Smilin'. Listened to side 2 of Sargent Pepper vinyl -sounded quite nice. This was followed by more CD's. (One problem was the lack of consistent source - too many CD's not quite as structured as I think it could have been. Music sometimes played too loud.) However, we did hear the Chicago CD over several of these amp changes and the sound on the SCOTT was superb. VERY nice sounding integrated. Great imaging, accuracy of instrument placement in the soundstage, etc. All in all, hats off to Craig for one excellent rebuild!!! Smilin' should really be SMILIN' when he's using that Scott!2.gif10.gif

----------------

On 1/26/2004 1:47:58 PM MarkBK wrote:

This was followed by my MC240 and I will reserve comments for other to make as I have a bias toward this amp.

----------------

Thanks for the report, Mark. I think it's great when you're partial to your equipment. That's what you own and, assuming some thought went into the original decision to purchase it, you should like it.

It was a very nice gathering. I now regret I spent most of the day at the office rather than in this good company.

As mentioned, Steve (and wife) were very gracious hosts. Steve picked me up at the train station.

When I arrived, the Mac 240 - C22 was playing. It is getting me to pay more attention to Mac and tubes. Very, very impressive. Then again, it seem to used at a reasonable level!

Then there was the switch to the Scott. The volume got cranked quite a bit. I had to hide in the stairwell for that. Maybe it is my 'old' ears. It was too much for me. I can't say with any certainty this was anything else than my ears, but something was being driven hard. Again, it could be me. "If it's too loud, you're too old." Yes, it sounded better at the back of the room.

There was an RS analog meter on hand. I must agree it is easier to read than the digital version, which I'm familar with.

At 1 meter, the readings were up at 98 dB 100 dB on the fast and only a bit lower on the slow.

There was a playing of Sgt. Pepper on vinyl (MFSL). Steve was in heaven. Me, I dunno. It reminded me very much of college. I also like the Sgt. Pepper CD on K-Horns with small power SS amps. I'll add that anyone has to hear a lot of material on a lot equipment before they reach any conclusions. I'm trying to be diplomatic here.

Steve has a bunch of vertical mid CWs. Interesting to see and hear them.

Tom B. gave me a ride home. He has very sophisticated taste in music, and is a great guy.

We should do this sort of thing more often. To some extent we live on small islands with our own equipment wondering how others are doing. It was pleasant to visit someone else's island and see the other canibals.

Best,

Gil

Gil - I was heading for home about the time Steve was off to the train station. I was hoping to meet you again. Feels like it has been a long time since Indy.

Steve M is planning on heading up to the Milwaukee get together this Saturday the 31st at my house. Maybe a few of you Chicago guys would want to car pool up here and meet some of the Milwaukee Forum members in person.

Besides having Khorns - I always have a good selection of Beer. Fresh Venison Sausage (since I am a deer hunter) and Beer brats which are always worth a drive IMHO1.gif

JM

It occurs to me that the outing to Steve's basement should not focused on Sgt. Pepper.

Rather, The Magical Mystery Tour. It would have been fitting.

Steve, again, many thanks for your hospitality.

If I may say so to others, Smilen broke into the forum as a bit of wild man. Err. That is still accurate. But a kind, fuzzy, 120 dB, prince of the earth.

Gil

Gil,

If smilin likes 100+ db music, he needs to get those Khorns he's been talking about. Did you forget your ear plugs? You knew it was going to be LOUD! They seem like a loud crowd. They must have kept you in stitches though. I can imagine the antics with that group.

Rick

I know from experience that a set of Cornwalls and Scott integrated will take you to a very good sounding 95db before things start to compress and fall apart -- at 100db they are very unhappy. After all, it's only 17 wpc, and the Cornwalls need some work to be at their best. Caulk galore and additional bracing are not optional if you like to push the envelope a little.

I'm betting the B&K stuff is what pinned Tom's ears back. Not because it's not good stuff, but because Steve was probably dumping more into the Cornwalls then they sound good with.

I think one of the great advantages of the K-horn is having the squawker isolated from the bass bin. I think the lens of the Cornwall starts to shake and shimmy while sharing all that thump and pump of the 15 incher. That motorboard is a terrible place. I've wondered if it's the actual movement of the lens that mucks things up. I mean, 1mm back and forth at the throat becomes a foot at the listening position.

I think the Quicksilvers were probably sent with weak tubes.

I'm sure Craig's amps sounded the best of the lot. His MK IIIs are equally impressive.

Dean I agree.

I hear wierd stuff. When i push too hard on the CHorus IIs

Spiking

more bracing

cabinet damping

I really want to put felt backed granite counter top scrap pieces from where they cut out the sink on top for damping.

IMHO

Forte, Corn, and Chorus lose music flow due to cabinet distortion.

Belles. LA Scalas and K horns are built more robust.

A subjective point but i have heard this.

Hard to describe though...

MDF the right direction? I personally dont agree as I would much rather have quality void free ply than mdf, ESPECIALLY with horns. Just my take on it. Mass loading with Granite? You ever hear a speaker with totally deadend walls? ie cavity for filling with lead shot?

Sounds like a fun time. Sometimes listening at 11 does not bring great sound or more involvment. There is a tendency at gatherings like this to turn it up too much in my view. With beer flowing and chatter it's fun. When trying to hear things, it's not always a recipe for good results.

kh

"We'll fix up the basement."

...and that special place by the stairwell for you.1.gif

Kelly, I'm not talking about turning them into inert "dead" boxes. I'm talking about taking a decent cabinet and giving it a little help. The benefit is some well needed stability for the lenses attached to the motorboard.

MDF may not be the preferred material for the woodworker who has to mess with it, but the high density and additional mass gets the energy going into the room off the drivers, instead of being absorbed and then expelled by the cabinet. Need to find a nice middle ground here -- a box shaking itself and everything in it -- isn't exactly the best path either.

You have to turn it up to drown out the chatter.

----------------

On 1/26/2004 10:37:07 PM j-malotky wrote:

Gil - I was heading for home about the time Steve was off to the train station. I was hoping to meet you again. Feels like it has been a long time since Indy.

Steve M is planning on heading up to the Milwaukee get together this Saturday the 31st at my house. Maybe a few of you Chicago guys would want to car pool up here and meet some of the Milwaukee Forum members in person.

Besides having Khorns - I always have a good selection of Beer. Fresh Venison Sausage (since I am a deer hunter) and Beer brats which are always worth a drive IMHO
1.gif

JM
----------------

John,

I wish I could make it to Milwaukee. It's a bit too far from CA two weekends in a row. Maybe next time.

The beers, venison sausage, and beer brats sound great! I must admit, I am very jealous about all the great food choices you guys have in that area.

It was great meeting all you guys. I am sure looking forward to Indy.

Take care,