belle vs. lascala.... what are the differences????

KungFuNat

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TB,

Yes, I am in Minnesota and there really is nothing nice I can say about Dec, Jan, Feb here, except that it makes you appreciate Spring and Florida. Tonight's temp will be 20 below zero actual, 55 below wind chill. :-( Even my friends who cross country ski cannot deal with these temps.

I don't ice fish any more, since I got into Fly Fishing 25 years ago. I will be Tarpon Fishing in Florida next month.

I just copied your avatar, blew it up, and it is a fish... Always looked like a horse running at me with 2 legs now I feel stupid I did not put 1+1 together..LOL.. Oh Well.

Nothing like fishing in FL. I took my father in law who sits out with the misquitos in the hot of summer here... On a 1/2 day deep fishing in the Ocean on a private rented 35 foot Sea Ray Boat. We had a blast reeling in grouper, red snapper, and king mackeral. Realising he catches 90% of the time fish about 4-12 inches.... It was amazing to see him catch 25"+++ King Mackerals and have to fight, not for just fun, but fight to reel him in to get him. That, was a lot of fun!!

----------------

On 1/29/2004 4:44:45 PM NatGun wrote:

so basically they are almost identical sounding... no differences in loudness either??

----------------

Well, the Heritage specs on Klipsch.com rate LaScala at 104db and the Belle at 103db. One forum member told me that they used to both be 104db. I'm pretty sure I couldn't discern that difference.

2.gif

Well i do think they sound different....I did A-B them before i bought my Scalas and the Belle did not make the cut.If you listen to female singers at all the Belle will seem harsh i think.Now im not saying the Belle is bad but i thnk the Scala and K-horn Mid Horn does better job...Just my 3 cents,,,lol Rick

I must be a loner on this and remember my A/B was 25+ years ago. This was done in conjunction with my job running the bar/lounge while in college. We had both Belles and LaScalas (this was back when heritage wasn't heritage and a dealer probably had stock). Unfortunately this was not a 'home' sized room and may not be fair. But what I heard in the larger club environment:

The sound clearly was 'coming from' the Belles - in other words I had trouble knowing where the Scalas were with my eyes closed.

There was a distinctly different sound at distance to the LFs - the scala seemed to fill the area better.

The mids were better from the Scala from a greater distance (say behind the bar about 35 feet away).

Of course I auditioned from behind the bar - After all I was the one that would be listening all the time2.gif Also - these were very MINOR differences - hell, it could have been affected by a slightly stuffy nose. It was a very tough decision - eventually price and a concern for spilt beer pushed me toward LaScalas

I have both sitting in the den right now, and can switch back and forth. With identical everything, the Scalas win by a RCH in sound. There is no contest as far as the WAF - I sold the Scalas two weeks after I purchased the Belles.

The Scalas look industrial - and that is how and what they were designed for. The Belles look like they were designed for WAF - and they were!

Both make me want to sing along to Carmen, and I ain't no opera singer. If you get either, you will have friends calling you up to ask if they can come over to listen to your stereo. I invited eight people over to the last weekend of the NFL playoffs, and seventeen showed up. One guy has offered to trade his $10 k Lowthers straight up, but I already have what I love!

Bottom line - you can't lose. If looks plays any part in the equation, hit the Belles. If money is tight, the Scalas are great. Future value...the Belles will appreciate more.

WAF = wife approval factor

RCH = military abbreviation for red ---- hair, no disrespect meant

The average human hair follicle is about 10 microns in diameter, barely visible to the naked eye. As you go from black to brown to blond to red, the diameter tends to get smaller, as the hair becomes more fine.

Machinists love to speak in terms of RCHs, so three RCHs would be about 25 microns difference. Though my wife is blond, I still have a weakness for redheads, and Colleen has been known to grab me by an available ear when I start to get frisky when a pretty redhead walks by.

Hands down the BELLE is and was the nicest looking speaker ever to roll out of the klipsch factoy .

K-horns are big blobs of wood ( scare factor alone makes them cool ).

LaScalas look like a grade 10 shop project ( but sound f--king great )

Belles are as nice to look at as listen to.

I've owned em all, and curently left with 4 k-horns and a pair of scalas, but i'm on the hunt for some belles once more .

In black would be great, i'll even take a single ?

My master home theater plan is to frame a 12' 16x9 screen ( fired apon by a 9"crt ) with a pair of black k-horns up front a black belle as a center and then lascala's taking up the rear.

Of cource the scalas will be converted with wide despertion 511b horns first.