OT - Lunch time observations

j-malotky

I was out at lunch today by myself and while I was waiting for my order, I was doing some people watching....

As I watched, I noticed most of the people in the surrounding booths looked pissed off and overall grumppy. I could tell by there hand gestures and facial expressions that they were dumping there concerns upon there lunch companions.

Then I noticed a little boy, I would guess 9 months to 1 year old sitting in his high chair staring in awe at the ceiling fan twirling away and doing a little happy dance. Watching him made me smile. At some point his concentration broke from the fan and he saw me smiling, in which we grinned back and pointed to his new best friend the ceiling fan.

I just think it is sad how we get so grumppy as we get older worrying about our stupid small term projects and complaining about our misfit bosses. Complaining and dwelling on it does not make them go away so why do we do it?

Don't get me wrong, I still will bust my *** to fix the issues I can, but I for one am going to try hard not to dwell on the crap around me anymore, especially the things I have no control over. Life is too shart for that.

Just thought I would share my though for the day... Thanks for your few mins of time.

JM

I love those epiphany kind of moments that come from the simplest observations of the world around you, they can sometimes hit home and really help you shape your perspective....in honor of your thought of the day, I'm going to stare at my assistant and worry about nothing the balance of the afternoon...thanks for sharing JM!!

3.gif3.gif3.gif

----------------

On 2/4/2004 4:29:08 PM arthurs wrote:

I'm going to stare at my assistant and worry about nothing the balance of the afternoon.

----------------

Send me a picture, I want to stare at her too.2.gif9.gif

J/M, I know what you're talking about. The biggest thing I got out of pre marrage counceling was that I need to stop and smell the flowers more often. That was some 7 years ago. Don't know if much has changed though.4.gif

Lady working in an office tower goes down to the cafe common area for her lunch break, she buys a kit-kat and a coke then finds a place to sit down.

After a few sips of her pop and some people watching she reachs down beside her and grabs a piece of kit-kat, few moments later the guy beside her takes a piece and eats it.

Kind of miffed the lady takes another piece then the guy eats the last one.

Anger takes over common sense so before leaveing the lady reachs over grabs the guys muffin and takes a big bite out of it.

Once returning to the office and calming down a bit, the lady opens up her purse to get out a cell phone or something olny to find " HER " kit-kat in the purse !!!!

Could you imagine being that guy ????????

She has yet to this day returned to that cafe common area for her lunch break .

We got a new president at the college where I work. Two new VPs as well. New HR director. They said communication was going to improve. It hasn't yet. Lots of people getting fired though! People are grumpy and complain a lot.

But life goes on. Our department gets along great and we pretty much have a good time. Life IS too short (this one anyway)!

Some folks I know just can't understand how our family can live with a 13 inch tv, no cable, no sat. I still don't have time for all I want to do.

BTW, I sit and watch my own ceiling fans.

Marvel

I'm in agreement that one should not get so wound up that you become a grumbling, unpleasant lunch companion. Yeah, I like to sit in Jimmy's place and read. There are such conversations nearby.

Also, one has to wonder whether people are failing to follow the bromide of: "Don't sweat the small stuff." Followed by: "It's all small stuff."

OTOH, much of grousing is a type of group therapy for legitimate annoyances. It is not always small stuff in their view.

The boss may be abusive. Money is always a concern to the individual because it is to a mortgage company. Personal relations with members of the opposite sex go to whether one is going to have any offspring and the circumstances of upbringing.

In view of that, some group therapy in the cirucumstances of cheeseburgers is quite beneficial to those engaged in it. Maybe just not to the guy in the next booth.

Gil

"Some folks I know just can't understand how our family can live with a 13 inch tv, no cable, no sat. I still don't have time for all I want to do."

You own a TV?

Every now and then I get the urge to buy one.

If I sit down and grab a book, the urge quickly passes.

Randal does not own a TV either, I wonder if its something genetic?

I went to Starbucks yesterday around 10AM, figured to have a couple cups of joe and read the New York Times for free. The place was full of these white-collar types working on laptops and yakking loudly on cellphones. I swear I think some of these people think it's cool to try and look busy and purposeful, what putzes.

Some jerkoff was having a meeting with his staff, about 7 people with a few tables pulled together. This balloon-head was lording it over these people and talking loudly so we'd all know he was Somebody. I was really tempted to walk over and tell him to pipe down but I didn't. I'm so mellow now in my retirement; I mean I got it made, why should I get upset over some would be big-shot, some desk-jockey Lord of The Nerds, **** 'em.

what a great post: People take everything way too seriously lately. One time, in the 4th quarter while I was working at a rather large finance company that specialized in Healthcare equipment leasing I was in the GM's office with the the Global ops. manager. Everyone in this big "mahogony everything" office was ready to pull their hair out, and everyone was yelling at each other about something, when my friend says "hey...its just medical equipment..."

They all stopped what they were doing and paused long enough to consider throwing my truth-telling friend out the 4th story window. At this same office, a floor below a salesman, who had ALREADY sold, 103 million dollars worth of financial product that year at 2% commission, was making a 30 year old woman who made 35,000 dollars a year cry because she wasn't moving fast enough--it was 10:30 at night at the time.

Like I said...too seriously. Thank god for ceiling fans....

Dennis,

Once in a while, we get rid of our tv. Even when I worked as a tv newsphotographer, we would at least chuck the thing into the closet for a few months. I read more than anything. We knew we were onto something when we would come out in the morning and find encylcopedias open on the floor. The kids had stayed up late just browsing.

Maybe it is the homeschool thing. I'm sure Randal would agree there.

Marvel

I hardly ever watch TV (unless it's NFL season)

Unfortunately, I have defaulted to using it as a bit of an "electronic babysitter" for my 5-year-old.

I still don't have cable, or sat. He watches PBS shows - I don't even let him watch Saturday Morning cartoons for all the advertising assaults they level on his young mind.

I don't miss it - although I must admit, discussion groups like this one are my television.

----------------

On 2/6/2004 12:44:06 AM Griffinator wrote:

I hardly ever watch TV (unless it's NFL season)

I still don't have cable, or sat. He watches PBS shows - I don't even let him watch Saturday Morning cartoons for all the advertising assaults they level on his young mind.

----------------

I hardly watch much TV myself. Between the skiing I do during the winter (and just simply rather be outdoors during the warmer weather), surfing the forums, and playing games on the computer, I find myself hardly watching TV. I often turn it on real quick to see if there is anything interesting I may want to save to my digital recorder though. The only reason I got satellite is because I do enjoy watching channels such as Discovery, TLC, and Animal Planet, which I cannot get off the air. I hardly, if ever, watch any of the major networks, except maybe for the local news or for "The Price is Right" if I am home during the week.