Where in The H!!@ do you people work.??

lx50373

I saw a poster on here who has 2 not one but two RSW"15's another's got RF75's on every ch!! Dont anybody on here have any other bills or what? Here i am with my SF-3's and KSW-12 trying to get into surround. need a new reciever and sur speakers and it's killing me. House payment, car payment, kids with their hands out oh and the wife well she has her own ideas....! Oh well just venting my envey! Maybe one day i'll hit the lottery!!!!

LOL!!! Welcome to our house pain. The kind of pain you can't get enough of.

Well I'm sure most all of us are or have been in the same boat as you. I still have the joy of raising my kids (6) house payment etc. When I get something or do something for my system I just plan on how long it will take, and how bad I want it. I set my goal on what I want to add and just use my stash cash for it. I started with the buying, selling, and upgrading of my audio equipment 30 years ago and it seems to accelerate every other year.

Man I was into quadraphonic sound in the mid 70's running this big massive Sansui quad amp, worfdale speakers, you know that kind of stuff. One day went into this little audio store and walked in the showroom, OMG what are those. Of course it was the full heritage line of Klipsch. I had only read about these in some of the stereo publications. This was 1979, and after spending an hour or so with them I was determined that I would own a pair one day.

I was looking for a job and ended up working for this audio store. It was funny since I had been in this store many times drooling over the big Klipsch. I found out that we could buy Klipsch 2 for one on special accommodation. As much as I would have like to by the khorns it just wasn't feasible. I lived in an upstairs apartment and you know how that can be. I ended up buying my La Scala's.

Since then and as always I have added, deleted and changed electronics so many times. But the one constant in all of this have been my La Scala's. They have been the foundation on which my system was born. Now with HT I just keep digging a bigger hole, same ol story. For the last year I have had a couple of itches. One was the building of my center speaker and the other is a nice 50watt pc tube amp just to run my La Scal's. One itch down one to go. At least for the time being.

Have fun start with what you have and before you know it you will feel the pain as we do.

scooter

9.gif

It's save'n pennies for me and limit myself to one piece per year. It may take five years to build what you want but you will be happy in the end.

This year's focus is a new font end, SACD/DVD-A, or just CD. I haven't decided yet and have 10 more months to save for it.

Last year was a new amp, which should be arriving any day.

Two years ago was pre/amp (from a reciever).

Next year will probably be a phono stage or TV depending how long I will put up with my 14 year old set, or how much longer it will put up with me.

Most of the stuff I have I bought used in excellent condition so it actually cost me alot less than the overall actual value of the system. However, I still have a generous amount of cash invested. I have another HT system in my bedroom and my little girl has her own system and they are not even listed. I got really good bargains on the stuff I have purchased.

Leaving the tv on one evening, I caught the Suze Orman show Money Matters. Here is a rule of hers: People, then money, then things. I thought that was pretty simple but oh how it can pin you down in one or two areas.

John Wesley, founder of Methodism, has a whole sermon on money. (http://gbgm-umc.org/umhistory/wesley/sermons/serm-050.stm) Oh well, I did not mean to sound like a parent, but whether it is dual 15" subs or a " C Class" MB, remember to enjoy life outside the four walls.

BTW, my system does not even come close to those listed, but I enjoy the sound.

Well I have pieced my system together over the years but basically I have a cheap house payment, no car payment, no wife, no kids and my dog is happy as long as I feed her and play with her every now and then 1.gif

I basically use my tax refund each year for audio/home/home theater improvements or I save up cash untill I can buy what I want.

Laters,

Don't worry about it...

I basically addressed this in another thread, but you have to remember MOST folks here are enthusiests. HT is their main hobby. You usually put forth your most efforts and most money in whatever your main hobby is (regardless if its building models, making train sets, rocketry, etc).

Anyway, I am one of those few I guess that don't really "fit in" here because HT isn't my main hobby. I still like to come around though, because there is a wealth of good info (and some snake oil as well) that can be learned from those whose main focus is HT.

My system is pretty laughable as well, but you know what? I don't care-I love it, and that is the ONLY person I want to impress-ME!

-Alan

----------------

On 2/6/2004 12:12:28 AM lx50373 wrote:

I saw a poster on here who has 2 not one but two RSW"15's another's got RF75's on every ch!! Dont anybody on here have any other bills or what? Here i am with my SF-3's and KSW-12 trying to get into surround. need a new reciever and sur speakers and it's killing me. House payment, car payment, kids with their hands out oh and the wife well she has her own ideas....! Oh well just venting my envey! Maybe one day i'll hit the lottery!!!!

----------------

Patience and look for specials/sales. I got kinda lucky on my current setup. My apt got broken into and they took my old Sony receiver + other components. With the insurance $$$ (I highly recommend renter insurance 2.gif ) I bought a Sony DE485 for $10 more than the settlement amt & I wanted to replace/upgrade my behemoth 3-way Fishers so I made a few recon trips to my local Ovation. I kept an open mind on which speakers to buy but was a bit partial to Klipsch due to their support of a local independent musician here in Indy ( Jennie DeVoe ) who is really good and I've been lucky to become friends with too. So, back to the ramblings ... my timing was perfect 'cuz Ovation was clearancing their Synergy's b4 BB became the outlet for them. $250 got me a pair of SF1s but I really wanted the RF3IIs. Again Lady Luck stepped in less than 3 months later ... I got a call from my Ovation salesman LMK that the RF3IIs were being clearanced. WoooHooooo. Using Ovation's trade-in/trade-up offer, I boxed up the SF1s & off to the store I went. Since the 5s & 7s are outta my price range I gave the 15s & 35s a listen (as wellas *other* brands) but my ears told me to get the 3IIs. The were also blowing out Yamaha HTR5550s @ 1/2 price + 10% ... hmmmmmm, Sony or Yamaha? Well, I got the Yammi, sold the Sony for $125 and now I'm a Klipsch-aholics! Going to the Ovation warehouse sale tomorrow to look for a sub or CD Jukebox or DVD or ???????> Did I mention the 42" Flat Plasma Display I won in a fill out our form type drawing (no entry fee) deal. I gotta pay about $170 total in income taxes (Fed, state & county) ... but it's a freakin' 42" Plasma!!!!!!!!! 10.gif

Enuff from me.

Peace, JDB_Rocks

It's painful to have to save and save but most of us are in the same boat.

I was going to upgrade last year because I got alot of money back from the IRS (my money!) until I realized I got so much back because my investments made squat in divdends and capital gains. I felt so guilty I just saved it. Saved up some more and couldn't quite make up my mind on what I wanted and exactly how much I wanted to spend so I saved that also. My rule is once it goes in the savings account I don't touch it for ANY reason short a dire emergency.

I'm in the process of saving once again and I'm getting real antsy. Ofcourse while waiting I keep changing my mind again on what I want.

8.gif

I'm a movie editor in NYC. I'm also single, which is a both a blessing and a curse when it comes to my 'hobbies'. Basically, I compartmentalize...whether hobbies or work, I throw myself into it to the point of obsession. When I'm editing a film, needless to say, that's all that's going on in my life for however long it takes to complete. I'm also a semi-pro musician, playing in a blues band (Moose and the Bulletproof Blues Band) around the tri-state area.

So I go through these phases when I want to upgrade or get new stuff...and once the funds are appropriated in between films and commercials, I make time for it. Like when I spent three days scouring all the classifieds on Earth to find a specific guitar at the right price (a Gibson ES-335 DOT in cherry red), or my '67 Fender Deluxe Reverb guitar amp. I've also rewired these items myself....something I don't recommend unless you have the will or patience (for me, the former rather than the latter).

The whole HT thing took up the better part of a month, as I changed out a lot of things that I had for about three years. I was the same way with firearms until I moved from CT to NY (no, I'm not a 'gun-nut, even though I was licensed to carry, it was only for the range), and had quite a collection of handguns and rifles until moving permanently to NYC back in '94.

So basically, I'm pretty obsessive about my 'hobbies'. My first love is film, but in between gigs I need to get away...and it's the same way with everything else.... leave one thing and dive into the next feet first. Again, being single has its merits when it comes to this. But when I'm dating someone, they sometimes have a hard time understanding my obsessiveness. I'm just glad I'm not into cars like I am with other things......or drugs for that matter. That's the comforting thing about all this...who has time for drugs? There's too many other things that I enjoy.

----------------

On 2/6/2004 11:08:11 AM FirebirdTN wrote:

I basically addressed this in another thread, but you have to remember MOST folks here are enthusiests. HT is their main hobby. -Alan

----------------

Not any more. My new hobbie is building up my wood working shop. Theater funds have gone by by. But when I get my shop built, I will be able to build nice things for my theater. See how that works?

9.gif

If you want the truth... I'm a software engineer. I was moonlighting for a while. Made some good extra duckies which helped pay for a lot of it. HOWEVER, I was not shy to use that plastic either. 14.gif

Credit cards, baby!!! Whoohooo!!!! (Not picking on ya, Moon, your post just happened to be last - I was going to mention this before I even read yours :).

There's a thread on the AVS Forum started by a guy who entitled it "I have $2000 burning a hole in my pocket..." Turns out it's a credit card with a $2k limit - hardly what I'd call "burning a hole in my pocket." The average American household is carrying $8500 in CC debt. How do they sleep at night?

----------------

On 2/6/2004 7:10:22 PM dougdrake wrote:

Credit cards, baby!!! Whoohooo!!!! (Not picking on ya, Moon, your post just happened to be last - I was going to mention this before I even read yours
:)

There's a thread on the AVS Forum started by a guy who entitled it "I have $2000 burning a hole in my pocket..." Turns out it's a credit card with a $2k limit - hardly what I'd call "burning a hole in my pocket." The average American household is carrying $8500 in CC debt. How do they sleep at night?

----------------

Oh belive me, I have learned my lesson. Credit cards are pure evil.4.gif

I'm a banker and my wife's an attorney. When my son was born 21 years ago, we were on food stamps and the WIC program. We worked our butts off to get where we are today. I'm 43 and it feels really good to have worked hard to reach most of our goals. I didn't purchase any gear between age 20 and age 42 except a cheapo cd player in the late 80s. Luckily I already had cornwalls.1.gif