Dome of Silence?

mungkiman

There is this hardware store in Petaluma (Masselli's) that specializes in buying-out hardware stores. They have acres of hardware scattered about. A few years ago I did see a large stash of "Domes of Silence" (I remember because I love the name) in original 50's-60's packaging. I'm certain they still have them. PM or email your address, and next time I'm down that way (should be within the next couple of weeks) I will pick up what you need and get them off to you.

----------------

On 2/9/2004 12:20:56 PM sheltie dave wrote:

While you are there, can you pick up a floating "Cone of Silence" as well. Once in a while, my wife gets on a roll, my eyes start to roll back in my head, and it would be nice to have a, well, ....
----------------

Ok guys, what the hill is it? I think that I could use one for my wife also.

Terry

Yes those metal sliders were put on at factory so they could slide speaker around,,,,if you have smooth floor you need to take them off and use grippers from wal-mart.Andy was first to recomend these i tried them and wow,,,the grippers make the speaker hook up much better and my LaScalas never sounded better,,,,you guys should really try this....Rick

I looked at patent. It is just for a caster to be put on the bottom of a piece of funature. It might have been high tech 100 years ago.

At one time, there was a type of radio navigation system for aviation wich relied on crossed antenna patterns of signals. Long story. When you were "on the beam" you'd hear a constant tone. A referrence to this is found in the music of South Pacific.

However, when the plane was directly over the transmitter, there was a "cone of silence."

This later was used as a gag in "Get Smart" as the cone of silence.

Does this do anything for audio? No, I don't think so.

Gil

----------------

On 2/13/2004 10:59:15 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

I looked at patent. It is just for a caster to be put on the bottom of a piece of funature. It might have been high tech 100 years ago.

At one time, there was a type of radio navigation system for aviation wich relied on crossed antenna patterns of signals. Long story. When you were "on the beam" you'd hear a constant tone. A referrence to this is found in the music of South Pacific.

However, when the plane was directly over the transmitter, there was a "cone of silence."

This later was used as a gag in "Get Smart" as the cone of silence.

Does this do anything for audio? No, I don't think so.

Gil

----------------

Of course it means something to audio Gil.I was flying one time directly over this transmitter and.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................one of the most amazing stories I ever told. So that's what turned around the entire audio industry.