Linseed to LIGHTS OUT!

Lucky Leeroy

Very nicely done! That is some beautiful woodwork you just saved. Let's see, paid $500, worth now at least $1000, so thats $500 profit for 10 hours work. I'd say you were worth every bit of $50/hour- but of course you'll NEVER sell these. They, like my Cornwalls will outlast us!

Now I'm seriously considering NOT reveneering my Corns, except that the corners and edges are pretty seriously damaged. I'll send in a before photo for your examination.

applause applause

Great Job. Leeroy. I know not to use BLO on the Laquered finishes but what do folks use to "Clean Up" a laquered cornwall. I have a pair of cherry laquered cornwalls that I would like to freshen without refinishing.

Thoughts

Josh

Josh,

I use Murphy's wood soap (heavily diluted) on my laquered zebrawood corns with excellent results. It somewhat darkens the finish which is OK with me but some may not like that result. I also have heard conflicting views on doing this. It made my speakers look new again. Andy initially recommended I use wood soap when I first posted on the forum but advised against it a little while back. It does seem to work well for me. Try a little in an inconspicuous area first.

On the spontaneously combustible topic...yes...I've seen it happen several times. I'm a firefighter, and I've been to several fires that took place just after the owner of the home spent thousands having a contractor refinish their floors or other wood work.

Usually in homes that are being renovated and no one is living in them at the time. The contractors finish for the night, leave the house vacant, leave the rags in a pile, and several hours later we (the fire dept.) arrive with the house completely in flames.

Linseed oil? Mistake! Check into sikkens products if you are wanting to re-finish. Linseed oil used to be considerd to be a good product, 40 years ago, it never dries completly, sikkens cetol or tounge oil. I am a profesional painter, if it is linseed you used, I would remove it with mineral spirits, find a benjerman moore dealer and pick up a color chart on the sikkens cetol products, their natural is perfect and will last on your speakers longer then the drivers which are in them. Definetly check into this, dont just take my word. Rob

• 1 year later...

The reason that linseed oil (and many other natural plant oils) rags burn is that the oil oxidizes and creates heat. When oxidation is vigourous enough we tend to call it "fire". If you leave them in a pile the heat builds up. If you leave them flat the heat will dissipate into air and not cause a fire. But bucket of water is still the best. I remember having all natural teak furniture at home and my mom rubbing them down regularly with a mixture of linseed oil and turpentine. I just loved the smell of the house when she did that!

Note: this will not happen with rags full of motor oil!

Piranha,

You can use mineral spirits for the first coat, or first couple. The thinner first coat will penetrate a bit more.

I do the same when I use poly, so there is more saturation. It isn't necessary though.

Bruce

• 1 year later...