WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE BID EARLY???

Gilbert

DABumann, says..

"I bid early and I bid often. Why do i want to wait for 3 or 7 or 10 days to see if my bid is good?" DABumann....the reason you wait is obvious,...it doesn't matter whether you bid at the first day of the auction or last few minutes, you still have to wait till the end of the auction to find out if you've won.

DABumann says....

"And you know what, sometimes those early bids win." I say DUUUH! self explanitory.

DABumann says....

"If I'm selling something, I want lots of bidders who want my item, and will pay much more than it's worth." Precisely my point, I'm talking about what's good from a BUYERS perspective. And thanks again, for punctuating my point. BUYERS don't like throwing away money.

DABumann Says...."They don't want a good deal, they just want it!" DUUUUH! God help this boy.

DABumann Says....."I'd like to hear some facts that support that bidding at the end of the auction will get yourself a better deal than if you would have placed your bid early." GOD HELP THIS BOY!!!

Why do people get their undies in a bunch over this?

-- they want to get the best possible deal.

This is good if you are a buyer, bad if you are a seller.

I bid what it's worth to me as soon as I see it. If someone snipes it, so be it.

With proxy biding you will only pay what you need to pay in order to outbid the second highest bidder. This would be fair to both buyer and seller, IMHO.

The people that get all steamed up are trying to rip someone off. They would feel differently if the shoe was on the other foot.

geesh - some of us don't snipe and are going to be away from a computer near auction end. I know my top price, I'll set it - go have fun, work or whatever takes me away and see if I won when I return. In all cases I felt like I got a deal to my liking. Yes, I am responsible for having something go for higher than you are willing to pay.

I live with that guilt every day. Unlike you, I have no one else to blame....

----------------

On 2/12/2004 12:37:51 AM Tom Mobley wrote:

you.

did I mention that I'm going back through the archives to find all your old posts and compile them into a book?

----------------

Wow what a great idea!! Do you really think there is a market for a three page book?

9.gif

As to titles, instead of Fini for President, how about "Left of McCarthy" (I know - showing my age, let's see if any youngsters catch on).

As a seller, I say bid early and bid often which seems to be the norm lately. It's a lot less stressful on the seller.

As a buyer, sometimes I mark my interest early with the lowest bid possible then snipe. Or I just snipe.

For the life of me I can't understand three bids in a row early in the auction by the same person who's just trying to get his name temporarily in the lights. 99% of the time that bidder isn't going to win and all he did was succeed at driving up the price.

But hey, I've got an auction going now with that same scenario, and as a seller, I'm liking it. As long as I'm not buying, keep it up.

What kind of question is this?

Why do people buy Bose?

Why do they drive Yugo's?

Why do some pick their nose in the car?

Why dont women buy a fitting bra?

How many shoes can one really wear?

Why am I losing my hair?

Why does superglue never stick what you want?

Is there an end to this dumbass rant?

yes.

I too have never figured out why other people want to bid on the stuff I want.Don't these people have a life?I could buy stuff dirt cheap if they would just get a life.(sarcasm) Just bid the MAX you want to pay and if someone else gets it then THEY were willing to pay more,simple.I think that's the idea with auctions.I have won stuff and not won stuff,if someone wants to pay more than me,twice more maybe,they have every right to without being called names,even if they deserve to.

Many people cant sit around waiting to watch the end of one or more auctions. Especially if two or more similar items are available and ending near the same time. An early low bid, at the lowest price that an item has recently sold for, might win one of the auctions. If the low bid is your limit, there is no reason to offer more later. You might just as well bid for the item now. Sure, that early and low bid can drive up the price (as eBay automatically raises bids to your pre-set limit). But if you are busy and cant watch the end of one or several auctions, an early low bid strategy might just win.

I won a ill-fated precursor to Klipschs modern set of reference subs, the LF10, with its single active 10 driver, two passive ones and a 500-watt BASH amplifier, off uBid with a last minute, match the lowest price strategy. I won boxes of tubes with an early low bid strategy.

In a market with no orders, placing any kind of a bid helps create demand for that order. With the right market movement, the bid can get picked up. Imagine if no meets the reserve price. The bidder can email the seller and offer to buy at that price without an eBay auction. Or vice versa. I called up a seller in Miami and offered to buy his cherry red dinning set at the lowest bid, immediately, before the auction ended. He was in a rush and said yes. We also picked up his 36 Sony and matching entertainment center for a song.

2.gif

The way I look at it an item is worth what it's worth. I'm only going to pay so much. If someone runs it up so what. My wife and love when they do run up though, we sell way more than we buy. I once sold a Czechoslovakian made pop-up book by Voitech Kubasta for $98.00, I bought it at a yard sale for 25 cents, it was near mint. I saw a book by the same author/artist on the Roadshow and they valued it at $600. Recently sold 2 industry magazines for one for $9.95 and the other copy $51.00 because it had an article about a famous motorcycle builder, I got them for free. I've been called a bloodsucker for putting reserves on some items. If they don't want to pay it, so be it, don't bid.

Grateful

Here's a link to one like it:

http://www.library.unt.edu/rarebooks/exhibits/popup2/kubasta.htm

Here a while back I saw on Ebay a Fisher 400 receiver for sale and with six days left, I think it was four bidders had bid the Fisher up to $29.00 and I was thinking did these people really think they would win a fisher 400 in good shape for less than $50.00, I think some people have nothing better to do than just waste there time and play games, knowing that receiver will go for a couple of hundred at least if not a lot more, or maybe they are just dreaming and hopeing for a miracle.2.gif