Vertical Cornwall Center Channel Finally Mounted!!

eq_shadimar

Okies guys and gals. I have finally finished welding, painting, building, and attaching the brackets for mounting my '65 Vertical Cornwall over my 65" Mits 65869 widescreen TV. I just finished 10 min ago so I have not updated my web page yet but here are the pictures.

Speaker and brackets from the right side (no TV):

cornwalltv3.jpg

Speaker and brackets from the left side (no TV):

cornwalltv4.jpg

Front shot (closeup with TV):

cornwalltv1.jpg

Front shot (from the couch with TV):

cornwalltv2.jpg

As you can see I still need to do some cleanup and stuff but there it is!! HornEd will be proud!! Hope you guys like the pictures.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Laters,

Excellent idea providing strong support at the ideal angle, but the steel angle end-supports tend to take away from the wood veneers beauty.

How many people did it take to finally set that puppy in place?

Has anybody seen or designed a similar support for such a massive speaker that allows the veneer to be admired?

I'm curious, where's the mate to your center channel, you know, the other Cornwall, where is it?

Wow guys thanks for all the nice comments!!! I will try to answer some of the questions. First the main reason I upgraded to a Cornwall center was mainly for 5.1 multi-channel music. The Heresy was fine for movies and tv but really lacked the pipes to keep up with the other four Cornwall's when listening to DVD-A's and SACD's. I think I would have been perfectly happy with the Heresy if I was only watching movies and listening to 2-Channel sound. So there ya go the crazy motivation for this project!!

Okies on the holding the brackets to the pipe. The pipes are standard 1" galvanized pipe that I got cut and threaded at Home Depot. They are mounted in standard flanges that are attached to the equipment racks. These pipes are very stong!! I had a Heresy HIP-II mounted prior to the Cornwall. Since it was a II model the back was not removable. To hang the Heresy I simply took 4 clamps that would normally hold the 1" pipe to the wall and just screwed to the back of the speaker with wood screws. Well with the Vert Cornwall I had two main issues to overcome. The first was that the back was removable. Taking the back off showed that the rails that held the back were only stapled to the speaker sides. The second issue is that the Cornwall is a more rare speaker and I didn't really want to do anything to destroy the orginality of the piece. If I want to beef up the interior and build a different back etc... it could have been possible to mount this speaker the same way I mounted the Heresy. This would have looked really neat because there would not have been any visable support. If I had I newer MDF Cornwall II I would have tried this method first. In the end the desire to keep the speaker completly orginal won out. After thinking of many different options the steel frame seemed the way to go. I measured the speaker and then added 1/4" all the way around to accomodate foam padding in the front, bottoms, and top and bolts in the rear. The frames are made out of 1.5" X 1/8" steel angle iron. They are very sturdy!! So I cut and welded the frames and ground the welds smooth and painted them a flat black (I may have to redo the paint job at a later date when it is not as cold). I used closed foam sticky back weather stripping for the padding. The steel frames are attached to the pipes using the wall brackets described above. The end result is a structure that is very sturdy. I cannot move or shake the frames at all and I am not worried about it falling on the TV.

To secure the speaker I measured and leveled one frame in the proper position and left the other end loose so it could slide. Two of us then lifted the speaker into the single frame and held it there while a third slide and secured the ohter frame in place. The actual mounting process really only took about 5 minutes.

The Cornwall was a single one that I purchased on Ebay so I have no idea where it's mate is. Trust me I did not break up a pair to do this project.

Phew well I hope that anwers most of the questions!! Again thatnks for the comments and if you wnat to know anything else let me know!

Laters,

----------------

On 2/15/2004 7:25:27 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

HOW DOES IT SOUND??? HEHEHE (I know awesome..I just want you to tell every one else too!!!!)
3.gif
----------------

Hehe well okay it sounds AWESOME of course!! I need to balance it (sound level wise) a bit more but this is only minor tweaking. Having 5 Cornwalls for multi-channel sound really ROCKS!!!

Laters,

eq-

Great job. I'm thinking along the same lines as you...identical front trio for music. My Academy does great for movies, but doesn't keep up with the Chorus IIs for 5-ch music. So once I finish the basement, I'll be going with another Chorus II. Not sure if it will be horizontal or vertical, still have some designing to do. But I'm looking forward to the experience. Five Cornwalls should be pretty spectacular. I'm pretty close with Chorus II/Forte II.

Guest Anonymous

Ya man 5 corn's are frigin fantastic, and I can keep them all set to large to get the full bass out of them cause my sub is SUB HUMAN. heh heh heh, I just have a little problem, I am trying to find space for the extra vert corn!

Very nice setup. I just finished listening to two SACD's I just got and I was blown away by these recordings. If you haven't already, make sure you listen to Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and The Who's Tommy. (If that is in your music taste)