Redesign of Cornwall

HDBRbuilder

OK, all you Cornwall freaks....I am NOT going into any details at this time, but I have an idea for a Cornwall cabinet redesign that will knock your socks off. Hopefully, I will be able to build these up as a pair of working prototypes this summer...so...those of you who like to argue over whether the vertical-horned Cornwall is best or the horizontal-horned Cornwall is best just keep your eyes peeled! I won't give out any more info at this point because I think this idea may be patentable!

----------------

On 2/15/2004 6:10:43 PM TBrennan wrote:

Given the lack of interest that PWK had in controlled directivity.............

----------------

Excuse Me? PWK had a great deal of interest in controlled directivity! (Sorry Tom, You get a spank! You obviously haven't studied the Klipsch Audio Papers. PWK wrote whole documents & referenced other people's work on this subject published in IEEE & IRE Transactions on Audio).

In any event, I'm intriqued by this "new" Cornwall redesign. And seeing how Andy built an awful lot of 'em, then he's very much qualified IMO...not to knock Q-Man's idea, natch. Any new design that benefits the Cornwall's horns, woofer, and crossover, are worthy candidates. I for one can't wait!

Dean---Indeed. (Yeah, I know you're kidding on the square) But with exponential horns the beaming gets worse as frequency rises. PWK put this to work as a form of automatic EQ; the collapsing pattern as frequency rises gives a lift to the frequency response on axis, thus making up for the roll-off of the compression driver, at least on axis. The Altec 511 does a similar trick; it maintains directivity in the horizontal plane but allows it to collapse vertically, the result is improved highs on axis.

The saladbowl tractrix horns that Bruce Edgar makes lose control of directivity in both planes but Edgar doesn't care. Evidently PWK didn't really care either. He may have figured that corner placement, something he touted for all his speakers, would put the sound where he intended it to go and thus he needn't design horns with controlled directivity. Maybe Artto, whose evidently read PWK's papers, can enlighten us further.