SPEAKING OF LOUD

davmar

I just read the post from Griffinator and how loud Heritage speakers are. I while my arsehole neighbor was away finally turned up my La Scalas. It was unplugging things from the wall sockets! It knocked things off the walls of my neighbors apartment (BONUS)

Tell some stories of your LOUD speakers!

I went to a Peter Frampton concert last night.

Everyone was out of the house, and I decided to see how much the new Kiwami resistors could handle. The schematic called for 6 watt resistors, but I settled for 5 watt Kiwamis because of their high voltage rating. I had the new 6 watters QS&D sent me, but I got a good feeling while holding the Kiwamis in my hand. I soldered the new resistors in last week, and have been slowing dialing things up through the week -- waiting for them to overheat.

I lit things up last night for the first time since getting the Klipschorns.

I saw Frampton last summer at the Kettering Faze Pavillion, and I was about 15 rows back. I just cranked the attenuator until it sounded close, after the first song I went to the top. I'm convinced I'm as close as I will ever get to reproducing the live performance with the music I like. Never in my life could I have imagined my system doing what it was doing last night. "I'll Give you Money" sounded near identical to live, and the only thing I was missing was a touch of bottom end slam. I listened to the whole side of the CD like this -- with not a hint of restricted dynamics or earbleed. Simply phenomenal.

The modified QUADs and Klipschorns are a match made in heaven. If anyone ever runs across a killer deal on a set of QUAD II-forties, they are excellent. Just make sure they've had the mod kit installed to handle 117vac, along with the resistors to handle the higher voltages.

Man, you dudes dont know what LOUD is! Like, whem my friend TAd got his Cornwalls we decided to do some serious listening and not this pansy wipe stuff that you read about in the forums. So we got his Bryston 4B-ST and hooked it up to one pair of Cornwalls on two sets of cinderblocks he got from his garden display. Then we got some tennis balls and cut them in half and placed them round side up on the Cornwalls! They looked cool as hell and now had VERT DRIVERS!

Then we up and got my Cornwalls and placed THEM on their side on top of them there tennis balls!

NOW YOURE TALKIN!!!!!! Holy WALL O SOUND!

WE hooked up my PP EL-34 and ran them to the TOP TIER WALL O SOUND. We did some head scratching about the crossovers and considered runnin' the Bryston to the Woofs but hell, why mess with what GOD MADE? HELL Yeah!

So anywho, we ran my Cary into the Bryston and the EL-34 PP beast with some Y-Knot connectors. Then we hooked up his TJOEB player and set the output voltage to 4V so as not to screw around.

MAN O MAN. In popped the Molly Hatchet from 77!

I dont care who you are or what color you is or even if you are from Europe, this was SOUND FROM HEAVEN! GOD FEARING WALL SHAKING PLASTER DROPPING SOUND FROM THE MAN!!!!!

I felt a BUZZ in my eardrums that reminded me of the Judas Priest concert when I got a job as SECURITY in front of the JBL STACKS! Man, was I overpaid that night! I woulda worked for FREE!!!!

You audiodrones dont know what volume is as I screamed at buddy TAD to skip to TRACK 7 and he ran down to get me a beer instead! Have you ever heard "FLIRTIN WITH DISASTER" at 11?????

You aint lived.

kh

Well I have a multi channel setup as listed below. Wattage is 125 X 6, plus 400 X 1 (Center) plus two 15" subwoofers, one active and one passive with a dedicated (400W) amp. When you crank this thing up and all 7 mains and two subs are running - Wow!!! you can easily achieve 120db with absolutely no distortion and that is not even max. I do not get to crank it very often but when I do it never ceases to leave me with the jaw dropped syndrome. AC/DC Night Prowler off the Highway to Hell CD was amazing, especially the intro when Bon Scott draws his breathe in before the song begins. I mostly listen at low levels now, I need to keep the little bit of hearing that I have left after years of firearms and loud car systems over the years.

I just sold my rear La Scala's and the guy that bought them made me put it right to them. I took the NAD to +15 (all she had) with just the single DBX BX-3MKII feeding them not a wimper, no break up, no distortion, nothing. Just LOOUUDDDD as hell!

Guest Anonymous

I gat a lot of stories, but the guys who know me are SCARED to be with me when I get CRAZY11.gif You should have seen Craig Running up the stairs when he was over, and that was only -17, and the spl at 12 feet c setting slow was 109Db....That's when he told me I have damaged eardrums....yeah right2.gif Loud id FFFUUUUNNNN(sometimes)6.gif And this was before I had the 5 corn's hooked up, and without the svs b4-plus/crown k2

heh heh heh

just watch me NOW10.gif

Georg Friedrich Handel -

Sometimes it's not about what you're hearing, it's about what you're feeling. Back when I had my khorns I would occationally hook them up to a pair of bridged GFA555 amps (600 watts with a lot of current capability), put earplugs in my ears, and crank everything up until the little clipping LEDs on the amps where flickering rapidly, figuring any more would hurt something.

Earplugs kept ringing and headache away, but enormous sound output provided a very physical sensation - at loud enough levels with the right music (Bach organ works are great for this, as is a lot of stuff by Genesis) you get this cool sensation of feeling the music over your whole body. I'm not just talking about the bass impact thumping you in the chest, though that's certainly there, but this feeling like the music has a tactile tangibility that lightly tapping with small, sensous fingers over every exposed portion of your body.

----------------

On 2/20/2004 12:53:50 PM Piranha wrote:

We grew up in the 60 and 70's when rock music was rock music!
2.gif

----------------

... and for me add 30+ years of going to the drag races ... now there's something those bump-a-bump distorted bass land yacht drivin' wussies couldn't handle 6.gif ... I love that all over body tickle you get when they whap the throttle on a nitro motor & ur standing ~10 feet away! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've cranked my sys up for some friends and they bail when the Yammy gets to -20 ... I've made it to -6 ... so far ;)

peace, mitch