Sheltie Dave's Pics

hwatkins

His nickname at daycare is Thomas the Train. After Henry left, Liam decided he didn't like where one of the VOTs was staged, so he moved it two feet. The kid is a sled dog2.gif And he loves to dance to Dave Brubeck...

As large as they are, they weigh about 40 pounds LESS than a La Scala per unit. The Klipsch are just built like bricks!

Dave,

Well, looks like you and Liam are having a great time! Does Liam ever let you borrow his power screwdriver/drill? I know he lets you work on his VOTT's. 9.gif

Nice knotty pine paneling, too. Nobody makes it like that anymore.

Now, is your Heritage Museum in the pine paneled room? Great setting.

Yep Craig, I know I broke enough mirrors in my life to ensure that Liam would get some good looks. It is real rough picking him up at the day care - all the nice young college students working there come running out to meet the Brad Pitt looking father of Liam, and they ignore me15.gif

Dee, you guessed right. Beautiful golden honey knotty pine in the rec room Klipsch shrine, and putrid green pine in the downstairs kitchen. Right now the rec room is extremely pregnant, with over half a ton of speakers stashed along the wall. Taylor's eyes will bug out when he comes to pick up the 299D.

Liam seems to have decent tastes in speakers. He indicated he was not about to get off the Altecs until I gave him a set of speakers. It seems Liam is now probably the youngest owner of a set of A7s in the country...he needs to do a lot of work to get up to a set of Klipsch6.gif

Dave---Put non-hardening modeling clay inside the "lips" of the 811s, that will damp them alot. I see the horns are screwed to the original mounts, that damps them too. On late model 811s Altec didn't weld the vanes together but instead filled the gap with rubber. You can cut the welds with a sawzall and fill the kerfs with silicone. This really works and isn't some nutso audiophile tweak.

Adjust the crossover taps to your preference, don't worry about it.

The original A7s had a baffle that surrounded the 811s, look at the Altec info on the Sound Practices site, if it still exists.

If the speakers don't make enough bass augment them with a good sub. If they don't make enough highs augment them with a Fostex horn tweeter at 10khz. A7s ain't perfect but are very good by themselves and a can be the basis on an absolutely first-class speaker.

Nice looking kid.

----------------

On 2/24/2004 1:24:20 PM TBrennan wrote:

Dave---Put non-hardening modeling clay inside the "lips" of the 811s, that will damp them alot. I see the horns are screwed to the original mounts, that damps them too. On late model 811s Altec didn't weld the vanes together but instead filled the gap with rubber. You can cut the welds with a sawzall and fill the kerfs with silicone. This really works and isn't some nutso audiophile tweak.

Adjust the crossover taps to your preference, don't worry about it.

The original A7s had a baffle that surrounded the 811s, look at the Altec info on the Sound Practices site, if it still exists.

If the speakers don't make enough bass augment them with a good sub. If they don't make enough highs augment them with a Fostex horn tweeter at 10khz. A7s ain't perfect but are very good by themselves and a can be the basis on an absolutely first-class speaker.

Nice looking kid.
----------------

Tom,

I assume that your recommendations apply to 511-Bs also. But what is a "kerf"? To the touch, the seams in my 511s feel like silicone. Could that be stock? They sure look it.

Terry

Terry---Yes, some 511s had the rubber damping, pictured is a late model 511B with the rubber damping of the vanes, the smudgy arrow points to the rubber in a vane.

Older 511s were welded together there, if you cut through the weld the resultant channel is called a kerf. That's Boilermaker talk. :-)

Some fanatics cut the entire weld out all the way around the horn itself and then glue the 2 halves back together with silicone. I dunno about that.

post-6913-1381925250155_thumb.jpg

Indy, the hens haven't laid any eggs, and three of the Shetland ponies have jumped the fence when I played Barney's Greatest Hits. One was later found at the construction site two doors down trying to hang himself rather than being subjected to another Barney song.2.gif They scared all the squirrels out of the back yard real quick!

Tom, Henry and I are scratching our heads over the N800 crossover. There are four terminal posts, numbered 1,2,3,4 and currently the positive horn lead is soldered to #2. Too much top end14.gif Are #3 and #4 down two to three dB, or up dB on this network? Henry is the one with good ears of us two and he is out of town for the week....