25 wpc SET amplifier by deHavilland

jazman

----------------

On 2/29/2004 5:38:34 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Okay, go back to your discussion...and play nice!

----------------

Too late for that, Jim, I already called Dean the nastiest name I could think of!

That's too bad about your amp. I hadn't seen that previous post of yours. What a bummer!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So why did you marry that withered up ol' sea hag, Paul?

Christ, she's uglier than a mud fence!

Must be the reason for all the bitterness.

That's OK, I'll do you a favor and ban myself.

I haven't really contributed much to the Forum lately, and no one really replies to my posts.

And BTW, I'm not a rat-fink. So don't worry about me snitchin' on you.

It's been fun, but it's time to move on........

Later!

In the 14th post of this thread you said:

"Some people don't recognize the distortion. It's kinda like some people don't notice if a piano is out of tune or if a windshield is dirty..."

I knew this post was going to turn the whole thread to sh!t, and sure enough -- the following near 40 posts haven't had a thing to do with amplifiers.

It's not like kicking a dead horse anymore, but more like trying to kick up a whole corral full.

Since 2nd order distortion is euphonic in nature, and makes the music sound good -- it can't really be compared to an out of tune piano or dirty windshield. Besides, we've all agreed in the past that in the right setting, with most music, and the amps not taken to far out -- they're fine. I'm sure everyone here knows when an amp is being pushed too far, and isn't sounding "good" anymore. Well, everyone except me -- yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

14th? You mean you counted?!

You'd be surprised at what people think sounds good. You're giving a lot more credit than is due if you think everyone turns the volume down when it sounds bad.

Innocent people can be ensnared by this nonsensical MAGIC talk. Is that what you want to happen?

Insufferable? Perhaps his parents slaped him around as a kid?

----------------

On 2/29/2004 7:38:31 PM paulparrot wrote:

14th? You mean you counted?!

You'd me surprised at what people think sounds good. You're giving a lot more credit than is due if you think everyone turns the volume down when it sounds bad.

Innocent people can be ensnared by this nonsensical MAGIC talk. Is that what you want to happen?

----------------

Well, if they don't have enough sense to turn it down, or think raw distortion sounds great -- so be it. Why should I care? It's not my speakers or ears. Now, if I'm giving too much credit, then maybe you aren't giving enough.

To me, it's all magical. Audio is cool, and there are so many paths to good sound -- and I should know, since I've tried most of them.

It's like I told Craig, I know what I like and what works for me, and I don't care if every forum member goes out and buys a 3 watt amp. If they did, I'm sure some would sell them, but others would surely keep them. The bottom line is that it doesn't impact my personal listening experience one iota.

I was listening to the new, wonderfully obnoxious Korn CD last night. I'm quite sure I was out of the milliwatt range -- and it was very magical indeed!

"Best sound of show" is noted, willing to bet Jazman heard something special. Translating the life-like presence of low-powered SET above 20 watts would be special indeed.

Our local audiophile society has been running a web poll the past few years, the overall results may offer some clue. To the listener appreciation of audio is a subjective human experience. Measurements can offer a degree of insight, but are no substitute for human judgement. However, anyone who renders an opinion on measurement alone makes for a rare bird, eventually to show up on the endangered list.

This is a really weird forum - talk of gay rights to marriage and everyone is a civil to each other as can be - despite some pretty fundamentalist positions showing up.

Talk about PP Vs SET - or in this case high power SET Vs low power SET and you are all ready to kill each other.

I think we have found true fundamentalism....

From now on I think we should ban any mention of an amplifier's power output.

and I still like Paul...and Kelly, but Dean is a fruitcake.

Dam, Max, now you have consigned Dean to twenty years of being shipped around the country at Christmastime2.gif I just wish everyone would contain their ill wishes to the person posting, and not let buckets of offal to wash upon others not deserving such!

Tell me I'm an idiot, a slob, a total waste of space on Earth, that is fine - I've been called worse. No need to drag the family in the mud15.gif