Philly Cheesesteaks

TBrennan

A couple of weeks ago I was in Philly and had a cheesesteak at Genos and found the sandwich rather disappointing, kinda blah. I didn't try Pats across the street. I had provolone and without, my daughter had wiz and with which was tastier.

Last night a buddy and I were out cruising and talking Italian food and I almost talked him in going to Philly right then and there for a steak, hittin' I-80 and off, but he faltered.

So next week I think I'm goin to drive to Philly for another cheesesteak, give it another try.

So any of you PA guys out there, where should I go?

Oh... stop it!

I spent some time in philly about 15 years ago. The best philly cheese steak sandwiches were the little trailer hut things you see along side the road. I have never found a place anywhere that could match what you find back in Philly.

Please stop this thread now. My mouth can't take the watering.11.gif

Oh how I miss them.4.gif

The best steak in Philly is at Tony Lukes which is located at the corner of Front and Oregon in S. Philly. The place doesn't look like much from the outside, but the steaks don't get any better. I spent my first 25years in Philly and consider myself THE authority on such matters. While you're there, please be so kind as to pick me up a couple and send them down here to Florida for me. I've spent 10 yrs down here now and am still unsuccessful in locating a good cheesesteak. I'm a little tired of conch fritters. Anyway, If you go,enjoy.

P.S. Pat's has better cheesesteaks, Gino's has better cheese fries!

Spoken like a true taste tester,,, LOL

I used to laugh at the famous Hebrew National hot dogs n Brats made famous in NYC and Chicago by street vendors. Written up in magazines as a "must" tourist thing to eat too..LOL.

Only problem was, they were not made in those cities... They were made here in Indy since the late 60's or so. So much for world famous NYC or Chicago dogs!! LOL.

m00n and Jon--

Regarding Philly cheesesteaks in Portland, Oregon--I wasn't that impressed w/ the restaurant "Philadelphia's" when I stopped there a couple years ago. Although I think they had just opened, and they do get extra points for stocking Tastycake Cakes and Pies!

In Portland check out "Tributes" up in Nob Hill (it used to be called "Richie B's" but Richie and the owner apparently had a falling out). In my opinion Tributes has the steak roll down real well for a west coast shop (and steak lovers know the roll has got to be right).

I did spend most of the first 40 years of my life in the Philly area. Went to public school in the western 'burbs and then Temple and Penn in Philly later on. I ate a metric ton of steaks, a lot of it from lunch trucks and late night haunts like Larry's "Home of the Belly-filler!" I won't jump into the Pat's vs whomever fray, but I will say that if any of you Philly guys are ever out in the western suburbs (out near Valley Forge) check out the steaks at John's in Frazer. I ate there after they first opened in about '68 or '69 and for quite a few years afterward. That place was always great and I think it is still going!

Best in horns and cheesesteaks,

triceratops

They call them "steak and cheese" in Boston!

Darn Tom, a Philly Cheese Steak blah? Your killing me today! I lived outside Philadelphia for the first 18 years of my life and still return home at least twice a year. The first thing my wife and I usually do is have a Cheese Steak. It seems that every little joint in this country offers a Philly Steak but it ain't ever the same. Never even close!

Pat's is always good but there must be several hundred great little places from Trenton to Philadelphia to Wilmington. There's also a good little place down in Atlantic City. The White house or something like that. It's pretty famous. I've been to Tony Lukes and you can't go wrong there. I'll second that recommendation. I don't know about this wiz stuff, (doubt I ever had it) and you might want to scrap the provolone. That's good on a hogie but NY white is best on a cheese steak. MHO of course. I'll make a few calls and get a list for you. How Subway does any business in that area is quite amazing.

Now I'm hungry for one of the darn things and I won't get back to Philly till the beginning of May.

Thanks a lot!

BTW, I know you're a history buff and this might interest you. My grand parents farm house, (outside Philly) was a hospital during the Revolutionary War. It was also used as a half way house as part of the Under Ground Railroad. It's right between Valley Forge and the area where Washington crossed the Deleware.

The 1st time I was in Philly, I went looking for a good Cheese Steak. I found a popular stand in a market and when it was my turn, I ordered a CS and asked if they could make it with Swiss cheese. This was an innocent request and one I had made without hesitation when ordering CSs anywhere else but from the way the cashier looked at me, you'd of thought I had just slapped the woman's grandmother! Everybody around me sorta took a step back and I suddenly felt like a stink bug in a perfume factory. "We don't have Swiss!" was the lady's reply. I mumbled something like "regular's fine...", got my CS and scurried away. Once I had found a spot where I could sit in relative anonymity the shame began to ebb away and as I began to eat my Philly CS (which I sure someone had spit on), I thought to myself... "I've had better".

Thanks for the replies fellas.

While I'm out that way I might as well delve into New Jersey and find that place that place where they deep-fry hot-dogs until they split open. Sounds good.

Some think that if anyplace threatens Chicago as the hot-dog capitol of the country New Jersey does. Interesting.

When I boil a pot of hot dogs on the stove, they eventually split open...does that count?

Actually, the best cheese steak sandwiches I ever had was while I was employed at Walt Disney World...our employee cafateria made excellent Philly cheese steak sandwiches on any type cheese you wanted. I always had chedder with lots of grilled onions smothered on it. So I never had an authentic cheese steak while visiting Philly; I guess I can't pass judgement, but the sandwich at WDW satisfied me!3.gif

While I was in Middletown Pennsylvania, I was introduced to what the "locals" called a Philly Cheesesteak and I have never found anything else like it (except for the ones I make in my own kitchen). Starts out with raw thin sliced steak, onions, and bell peppers heaped in a pile on the grill. The pound and a half or so of that mixture is cooked until done then pizza sauce (at least a full cup) is added and simmered a bit longer. This pile is then scooped up and placed on a very large roll and cheese is added to the top. I don't know what kind of cheese since it is impossible to taste it with all the other ingredients. The end result likely weighs close to two pounds by this time and is served as an overflowing heap on a large plate. Finishing one is a challenge that I attempted on frequent occasions. Wish I could attempt it right now, but Middletown Pa is a long drive from Arkansas. One of the places was called 2 Guys Pizza, but places on every block made them the same way.

Bob