• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/24/2004 10:37:03 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 3/24/2004 3:59:34 PM Piranha wrote:

Gary,

Does this mean I may be done too once I get my Mark III's?
9.gif

----------------

You'll never get rid of them. Doesn't mean you can't add another system.
2.gif

----------------

That is what I said until your sly a$$ talked me out of them. Folks he may look dumb but..................

Allan,

I think of my audio hobby as analogous to people whose hobby is growing Bansai or gardening or woodworking or old cars or painting or...

(Please note that the following is an allegorical argument, as since the bankruptcy my system consists of a pair of Sennheiser HD600s... 10.gif )

Today I am happy with my system. It sounds good. It makes me happy. I like to listen to music on it. Tomorrow I hear about a new {cartridge/cd player/interconnect/crossover/amplifier/tweak}. I go to my dealer and ask to borrow one for a test. I bring it home and hook it up. My system sounds different. Not better, not worse, but different. When I listen to familiar songs, I experience them in a new and different way, as different aspects of the performance are now brought forward. Perhaps a bit of treble emphasis highlights the "fingers on the strings" sound that I hadn't heard before. Perhaps a tad less noise lets me hear some subtle interplay deep in the background that had escaped me before. Maybe a bit of bass bloat suddenly makes it clear to me exactly what the bass player on that song was trying to say. Maybe a bit less bass, a bit tighter, changes the balance between the sax and the bass guitar, and I sense the lead and follow a bit more clearly.

My system is different. The experience I have when listening to my system is different. I have a whole new universe of meaning to be uncovered in my library of music. And when I've gone through that library, and experienced it new again for yet another time, I'll hear about some new amp or preamp or cd player or cartridge, or I'll find an heirloom piece on EBay, and the whole adventure will start again...

I can no more imagine listening to the same components for the rest of my life than I could eat the same dinner every day for the rest of my life.

I guess one difference between me and most of the folks here is that my PRIMARY hobby is collecting and listening to jazz LPs and that my audio system is just something I use to enjoy the primary hobby. Don't get me wrong, I really, really love my system, but I have FAR FAR more time, money and heart invested in the records and music.

I only wish I was done. The real part I am missing is a bigger auditioning room. I need to get my two channel system out of the den somehow. Don't get me wrong, my HT system is huge, but just not the same. I would like to get both my 2 channel systems together to A/B them. Now that would be great. ALso nearly impossible. SO maybe I am done for awhile until I can work on the larger house. 9.gif

WHo knows, stranger things have happened. Strangely enough on the way to work this morning I was tinking about designing my new house by room. Measuring all my equipment and determing what size room I would need for each system. Oh well, one can at least dream.

Allan,

Well, now, see, there's the problem right there. Jazz LPs. Between LPS and CDs I have, uh, lots of stuff, and *AT LEAST* 3 or 4 of them are jazz. If that's what I was listening to all the time, I doubt I'd have any interest in fiddling around with my system, either. My wife would come downstairs and find me sitting on the couch with this glazed look on my face, little beads of sweat gleaming on my forehead, mumbling "RRRAAADDDIIIOOO HHHEEEAAADDD...." while drool dripped down my chin...

Having and sharing love between family, a significant other, friends and acquaintances adds real meaning to life for me. The passionate pursuit of new or old music also gives me a zest for life. Being able to bridge these two loves is true heaven on earth!

My desire for future equipment changes are very similar to Ray Garrisons statement; I can no more imagine listening to the same components for the rest of my life than I could eat the same dinner every day for the rest of my life.

----------------

On 3/25/2004 8:03:59 AM ShapeShifter wrote:

Having and sharing love between family, a significant other, friends and acquaintances adds real meaning to life for me. The passionate pursuit of new or old music also gives me a zest for life. Being able to bridge these two loves is true heaven on earth!

My desire for future equipment changes are very similar to Ray Garrison’s statement; “I can no more imagine listening to the same components for the rest of my life than I could eat the same dinner every day for the rest of my life.”

----------------

Hymmmmmm, I have been on Atkins for 1 1/2 years and I have pretty much had the same thing every day, I guess that means that I can live with the same system I have now, forever, after I get a new pre-amp, cd player, new tubes ...........3.gif

----------------

On 3/25/2004 8:25:11 AM cablacksmith wrote:

----------------

Hymmmmmm, I have been on Atkins for 1 1/2 years and I have pretty much had the same thing every day, I guess that means that I can live with the same system I have now, forever, after I get a new pre-amp, cd player, new tubes ...........
3.gif

----------------

Congratulations on your success with the Atkins Diet. I've been a non-smoker for eight months and counting.

Unfortunately, getting new or old tubes will become a lifelong quest.2.gif

----------------

On 3/25/2004 7:40:04 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

Allan,

Well, now, see, there's the problem right there. Jazz LPs. Between LPS and CDs I have, uh, lots of stuff, and
*AT LEAST*
3 or 4 of them are jazz. If that's what I was listening to all the time, I doubt I'd have any interest in fiddling around with my system, either. My wife would come downstairs and find me sitting on the couch with this glazed look on my face, little beads of sweat gleaming on my forehead, mumbling "RRRAAADDDIIIOOO HHHEEEAAADDD...." while drool dripped down my chin...
----------------

Ray,

When I was a very young man still in my teens I listened to pop music too! Then I grew up.

----------------

On 3/24/2004 10:56:25 PM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

On 3/24/2004 10:37:03 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 3/24/2004 3:59:34 PM Piranha wrote:

Gary,

Does this mean I may be done too once I get my Mark III's?
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

----------------

You'll never get rid of them. Doesn't mean you can't add another system.
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">
----------------

That is what I said until your sly a$$ talked me out of them. Folks he may look dumb but..................

----------------

I don't think his a$$ talked you out of them, more like his MONEY!9.gif

Tom