Car shopping with a 17 yr old duaghter

NOSValves

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/31/2004 2:04:34 PM Johnny dB wrote:

PS. Craig, I think I helped pay for that new car of your daughters.

----------------

Actually I sold my prized and much loved 67 Camaro to afford to buy her this car without yanking money out of my savings or retirement accounts. If I had to depend on this amp rebuilding she would of been lucky to get a worn out Moped. I struggle just to cover my bills. This is all kidding aside on this one.

Craig

I'm a long ways off from having to by my daughter a car, she just turned four and my oldest son is only nine. I do remember my first car though, a 74 Ford LTD with a 351 modified engine in it. Paid $300 for it in high school from the proceeds of my after school job. In many ways I wish I would have kept it.

My second car was kept in the Ford/Lincoln family too - as an 18 year old I had a 74 Lincoln Continental Mark IV with a rebuilt "429" engine and transmission in it. I could pop the tires in that thing from a standing stop. Had to get rid of it because my wife couldn't drive it, too big. Bought a brand new Mazda 626 in 91 and drove it from California to Louisiana, it has 160,000 miles on it and I am still driving it here in Europe; drove to London a couple of weeks ago in it.

EE

Glad to hear your got daughter a car. Sounds like you bought a new one. I hope I can get an insurance deal when my son is ready to drive. He is 10 now. The price of a acr doesn't scare me it is the insurance.

Interesting topic. I was thinking about a vehicle for my son on the way to work. SOld my last vehicle to my father. 1990 Nissan 4x4 Pathfinder 3" lift, grill guard, custom exhaust. Thought I might buy it back for my son. My first vehicle was a 1973 Ford Bronco V8 302. 31/10.50x15 tires, it would go through anything. Kept me out of trouble becasue I spent most of my time off road.

----------------

On 4/1/2004 10:23:06 AM mdeneen wrote:

"mdeneen, were have you found a such car??even in france it s quite hard to find a renault dauphine...

it s a funny car try to stay on the road with it"

======

Doudou---you have to remember, I had that car (my first) in 1963. Then I bought a "newer" 1960 Renault which I proceded to hot-rod by installing the 1100cc Gordini motor, stripping the car down to less than 1200 pounds and it would do wheelstands! My best friend had the fancy Renault Caravelle with the removable hardtop. Quite a pair we were.

mdeneen

----------------

Sounds a little like my hot-rodded 1100cc Triumph Spitfire I had when I was 17. That baby could lay a 40ft patch without trying. Problem was it started shaking when you hit 65mph.

----------------

On 4/1/2004 10:37:24 AM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 4/1/2004 10:23:06 AM mdeneen wrote:

"mdeneen, were have you found a such car??even in france it s quite hard to find a renault dauphine...

it s a funny car try to stay on the road with it"

======

Doudou---you have to remember, I had that car (my first) in 1963. Then I bought a "newer" 1960 Renault which I proceded to hot-rod by installing the 1100cc Gordini motor, stripping the car down to less than 1200 pounds and it would do wheelstands! My best friend had the fancy Renault Caravelle with the removable hardtop. Quite a pair we were.

mdeneen

----------------

Sounds a little like my hot-rodded 1100cc Triumph Spitfire I had when I was 17. That baby could lay a 40ft patch without trying. Problem was it started shaking when you hit 65mph.

----------------

a la the Fiat (Fix it again Tony) and the Alfa Romeo.

My second car was a Fiat 131. What a POS. It spent more time in the shop than on the road. And good luck trying to find a mechanic that was willing to work on one.

I remember Strabo's Granada, and Mustang. I was riding with him the day the rear wheel came off the Mustang then later, after we got things fixed up and rolling again, the hood latch came loose and the hood folded over the windshield while driving down the highway. The Granada must have been a male car because it tried really hard to hump an Impala one day when the brakes failed...that was fun.

My first car was a 1975 Ford Elite that was purchased for $620 at Joe Grave Motors. The motor was basically shot, the tranny slipped, the body was so-so, the vinyl top had come off, but the interior was perfect. I installed loud pipes, trim rings and baby moons and proceeded to love that car...eventhough I pounded the poop out of it. I received my one and only speeding ticket in that car. A long, and fun story but lets just say I had the needle buried when the cop nailed me with the radar gun. The Elite would off road like crazy and went through snow as if it was designed to plow snow. This was also the first place where I started to enjoy music. The stereo in my Elite was preyy good...for a cheepo system. I rarely drove with the stereo off. I sold this car, when I went into the navy, to a coworker of my dads who was buying it for his kid. I told him everything, he drove it, took it home, and it seemed to finally breathe a sigh of relief...then it came flying apart. My dad caught a bit of heck for selling the car to his buddy because it was simply used up and constantly broke. Being a car guy I will never forget my first car. A very good day in my life indeed. I think the most important thing I learned with that car was how to speak to police and get away with a warning...lotsa opportunities to practice.

It must be nice to have parents that buy things for ya. Mine have bailed me out of jams a couple times, but my first car was an '81 Subaru Sedan (no, 2WD) that was $300 in '93. No heat, no defrost, ignition switch worked by a screwdriver (yes, I had the clean title). I don't know how many miles it had on it cuase the speedo was busted, too. It had an electric fan rigged up by the radiator that would short out about three or four times a week. I delivered pizzas in that ***** of car for two years before I "upgraded" to an 85 4WD wagon with no exhaust. They were good on gas, though.

Nothing like wet feet and no heat, working for tips.

My first car was an 1977 Buick Riviera With a 403 engine.

It had an eight track tape and cb radio. I thought that was the cats a** at the time. My brother totaled it when I was in college. It was replaced by a 1981 VW rabbit diesel.

Just bought my daughter a car as well. She is now driving a 82 BMW 320i with 170K on it. I bought it for $1500.00 I have all the service records ( all at the dealer) and it looks showroom ( its a california car so 0 rust) . Had to put a clutch in it and some new skids. But all in all a pretty good buy.

My first car was a 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 with a 358 "police intercepter" motor. I paid 250 bucks for it. To think I will now pay more for a pair of shoes for my wife is kind of sad!

josh

----------------

On 3/30/2004 11:53:10 PM Piranha wrote:

It has to be a lot less hassle than buying a car for a 17 year old boy? Tickets , insurance, wrecks, etc.

----------------

Three months after my little princess got her license she was stopped for 78mph in a 45mph zone. She stood tall and spoke up before the judge and we got the 6 pts reduced to 4. She paid $312. Now at 20, she has been clean for four years and has 0 points. My son, 18 yrs old is also clean. I think he learned a lesson as well. He was with the young lady when she was stopped and wants no part of that.

Craig, you're not alone. We just bought the young lady a car last week. Found a 1999 Mazda Protege in great condition and couldn't pass it up. She has managed a 3.85 GPA in college and will need transportation for a job this summer. We plan to surprise her. Then Ma & Pa will have hero status. At least for a while!