Car shopping with a 17 yr old duaghter

NOSValves

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/30/2004 11:18:53 PM NOSValves wrote:

Talk about a horrifying experience !! What a way to spend a afternoon. Oh that ones cute of coarse it cost $3000 more then are budget ! I looked at cars until I was green in the face. Nit pick to no end. But in the end we finally found here a adorable little red Cavalier Z24 with a sun roof loaded to the gills and I only spent $800 more then I swore I would
2.gif
I'm a hero once again at least for a day or two
9.gif

Craig

but the main question..... how does the sound system sound?.... and when are you going to install the tube amp?

2.gif

and of course you need to install a car turntable..... because vinyl sounds so much better than cd's (even in the car)

196103.jpg

The needle of the Norelco Auto Mignon stays in the groove of our 45s, even when we drive over rough roads. But since there's no record changer, we must insert each record we want to play, then remove it when the song is over.

or this one....

columbia-open.jpg

(thanks paulparrot for the links!)

Craig,

Brough back some good memories of my first car-

A 1976 Chevy Nova with a "rip snortin'" 250 six cylinder motor. I bought it from my boss for $150.00 and drove it for two and a half years then sold it for $75.00.

All of my friends at the time had V8s so I had to do something to make it a tire smoker. No problem though-backed off on the rear brakes and it was good to go.

It was great working as an Auto Mechanic back then-with access to a Coats 10/10 tire machine and free tires it was nothing to go through 3-4 tires a weekend.You haven't heard tires howl till you mounted a set of Goodyear Vectors!

I can still smell the rubber burning.....

Jeff

My first car was an 83 cutlass sedan with the horrible 231 buick v6 grenade under the hood. I spent a grand total of $ 1300 cdn to get it on the road, and drove it for a few months until I saved up enough to buy headers and a rad so I could swap in a 77 chev 350.

The v6 threw a rod going to work one day, so I had to ride a bike for a week until I could swap the motor and transmission. After the swap, I loved that car! Working at Canadian Tire was great! A tire a week was normal for me, at least until I had a good talking to from the fuzz.

----------------

On 3/31/2004 12:14:41 AM jt1stcav wrote:

Ah, my first car...a '75 Ford Grenada with a gutless straight 6. Should've kept it; was so damn easy to work on (and I still have my dad's timing light. Bet your daughter doesn't know what that is...heh)!
9.gif

Hope she enjoys her "new" car.----------------

That was my first ugly green car too. Had the straight six with a junk Japco transmission. After replacing the tranny twice I decided it was time to move on.

Replaced it with a '73 Mustang with rebuilt 302 4bbl. High back bucket seats and console shift C-4. That thing sure was fun. Beat my friends 71 Monty with rebuilt 350. Unfortunately I smashed it. Somehow all the tread was warn off the rear tires (don't know how that happened) and I lost control of it in a snow storm (returning from a dentist appointment).

Sure wish I still had that thing.

----------------

On 3/31/2004 1:19:56 AM Piranha wrote:

----------------

On 3/31/2004 12:41:33 AM m00n wrote:

Right on NOS...

First car... 200.00. 74 Dodge Dart. Was so ugly that when my girlfriend and I were driving around, when she seen someone she knew, she would duck.

Wheel baring went out. Drove with it like that anyway. you could hear that car coming 5 miles away. Even took it 4 wheeling. Damn car took a beating.
----------------

m00n, did it have the on dash push button auto trans?

My first car was a 1962 Chevy II. And to think, I thought it was a P.O.S. at the time. Well, if it wasn't when my Dad bought it for me, it sure was after I stacked it into a tree. If I only knew then what I know now.
8.gif

----------------

Na.. It had the lever on the steering wheel. I do know what your taking about though. My dad had a car that had push button tranny conrols. I was a kid and I thought that was the coolest thing I had seen... Damn near "Jetsons' 2.gif

----------------

On 3/31/2004 12:57:56 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 3/31/2004 1:19:56 AM Piranha wrote:

----------------

On 3/31/2004 12:41:33 AM m00n wrote:

Right on NOS...

First car... 200.00. 74 Dodge Dart. Was so ugly that when my girlfriend and I were driving around, when she seen someone she knew, she would duck.

Wheel baring went out. Drove with it like that anyway. you could hear that car coming 5 miles away. Even took it 4 wheeling. Damn car took a beating.----------------

m00n, did it have the on dash push button auto trans?

My first car was a 1962 Chevy II. And to think, I thought it was a P.O.S. at the time. Well, if it wasn't when my Dad bought it for me, it sure was after I stacked it into a tree. If I only knew then what I know now.
8.gif

----------------

Na.. It had the lever on the steering wheel. I do know what your taking about though. My dad had a car that had push button tranny conrols. I was a kid and I thought that was the coolest thing I had seen... Damn near "Jetsons'
2.gif

----------------

Sure made doing tranny slammers easy. 2.gif

Wow! My first car was a '56 English Ford -- a Prefect. Hence the Douglas Adams name of one of his characters as Ford Prefect.

It might hit 50 mph going down a hill. A friend of the family drove it from California to Illinois, before it blew a hole in one fo the small cylinders. I bought it for $50 and we fixed the engine. I drove it all through high school.

Marvel

My 1st whip was a '72 Caddie Coupe DeVille.10.gif I bought it from a doctor who thought it was "dead". Gave him $400, changed the plugs and points, then drove it off his office parking lot. What a cool car! Power everything. The front seat would almost lay completely flat; so you could roll from the front seat to the back with ease. 6.gif Had a torquey 472ci that would lay a 20 foot patch w/ 6 people in the car. What a fun ride. I wish I still had it.

PS. Craig, I think I helped pay for that new car of your daughters.

Johnny,

When I was in college I bought a '72 Sedan DeVille from a doctor. That 472 kicked some serious 8 mpg a$$! You could sleep a family of 6 in the trunk!6.gif

Before it finally bit the dust, my friend used it to win a demolition derby.

That was a great car for college. Carried lots of folks and what Johnny said.6.gif

----------------

On 3/31/2004 2:04:34 PM Johnny dB wrote:

My 1st whip was a '72 Caddie Coupe DeVille.
10.gif
I bought it from a doctor who thought it was "dead". Gave him $400, changed the plugs and points, then drove it off his office parking lot. What a cool car! Power everything. The front seat would almost lay completely flat; so you could roll from the front seat to the back with ease.
6.gif
Had a torquey 472ci that would lay a 20 foot patch w/ 6 people in the car. What a fun ride. I wish I still had it.

PS. Craig, I think I helped pay for that new car of your daughters.

----------------

Friend of mine had a Caddie with the 472 too. Man, what a motor. Probably still the highest torque production gas motor ever sold at a published 525 ft-lbs. That was some serious tire spinning action.

A $75.00 dollar 1952 3/4 ton panel truck from a local florist shop. Brake lines blew on the way out of their driveway. Should have seen the look on the gas stations attendents face when I used the tire covered guard rail for a brake.16.gif

My Father and Mother both had some push button trannys. Mom had a 1962 Dodge with a 383 and 4 barrel and Dad drove a 1964 Chysler with a 383 and a two barrel. I got to use Mom's car alot! If I remember right it also was a putrid shade of brown and tan.14.gif

Tom/Gary-

That's good advice...buy that car then show it to them. I get to look forward to that in about 15 years also. Oh joy. My first car was a '78 Ford LTD. Used to be Dad's, and since he was going to sell it, I told him I'd buy it. $600 and it lasted me through college.

Massive 400 cu in V-8 engine that sucked up the gas; maybe 10-11mpg in the city, but I could get 17-18 on the highway back and forth to Kansas. Soooo glad they raised the speed limit on I-70 to 70-75mph the summer before I started school. Kansas at anything slower than 80 is unbearable. In fact, my knickname in college was "Skipper" because I was the only one around driving an Iowa-class battleship!

1965 Buick Skylark Convertible with almost 200K miles bought in 1972 for $150. 2 speed automatic. 310 "Wildcat" V8. Drum brakes all around that faded out if you were going down a hill more than 1/4 mile long. Burr Street in Fairfield is over a mile and steep, with a stop sign at the bottom. I used to have to put both feet on the brake peddle and push as hard as I could push, and the car would sort of lose momentum in a ponderous sort of way...