Car shopping with a 17 yr old duaghter

NOSValves

Talk about a horrifying experience !! What a way to spend a afternoon. Oh that ones cute of coarse it cost $3000 more then are budget ! I looked at cars until I was green in the face. Nit pick to no end. But in the end we finally found here a adorable little red Cavalier Z24 with a sun roof loaded to the gills and I only spent $800 more then I swore I would 2.gif I'm a hero once again at least for a day or two 9.gif

Craig

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, my first car...a '75 Ford Grenada with a gutless straight 6. Should've kept it; was so damn easy to work on (and I still have my dad's timing light. Bet your daughter doesn't know what that is...heh)!9.gif

Hope she enjoys her "new" car.

Right on NOS...

First car... 200.00. 74 Dodge Dart. Was so ugly that when my girlfriend and I were driving around, when she seen someone she knew, she would duck.

Wheel baring went out. Drove with it like that anyway. you could hear that car coming 5 miles away. Even took it 4 wheeling. Damn car took a beating.

----------------

On 3/31/2004 12:41:33 AM m00n wrote:

Right on NOS...

First car... 200.00. 74 Dodge Dart. Was so ugly that when my girlfriend and I were driving around, when she seen someone she knew, she would duck.

Wheel baring went out. Drove with it like that anyway. you could hear that car coming 5 miles away. Even took it 4 wheeling. Damn car took a beating.
----------------

m00n, did it have the on dash push button auto trans?

My first car was a 1962 Chevy II. And to think, I thought it was a P.O.S. at the time. Well, if it wasn't when my Dad bought it for me, it sure was after I stacked it into a tree. If I only knew then what I know now. 8.gif

All being well I have 15 years before I have to face this Craig. Congrats on getting out with your credit intact.

My first car was a 1972 Mini (I dont think you have those in the US). Imagine the smallest car it is possible to put 4 adults in - and then half the size. The engine was a mighty 850 cc's (about 51 Cu inches) with a massive 35 BHP under your right foot.

Of course the prices in the UK for used cars is rather higher than it is in the US. That mighty beast cost some $700.

It had a stereo in it (2 channel relevence at last) with about the same power as the engine.

My first vehicle was a 1975 GMC High Sierra full time 4X4, with a huge front grill my father had custom made at a foundry. It housed a 8000lb pull Warn winch. This thing would go over or through anything, however the gas was a killer I may have been lucky to see 10-12 MPG. I think the 4 bolt main 350 V8 with a 4bbl was too small for that truck. I really wanted to drop a 454 in it. Damn that truck was fun though. 9.gif

"My first car was a 1972 Mini (I dont think you have those in the US). Imagine the smallest car it is possible to put 4 adults in - and then half the size. The engine was a mighty 850 cc's (about 51 Cu inches) with a massive 35 BHP under your right foot."

In High school I had a buddy that had one. Smallest darn car I ever saw. We still managed to get 5 H.S. kids in it though, it was a "little cramped"3.gif

My first car was a '66 V.W. square back. I took that thing everywhere including off road. It was a wonderfull first car, easy to work on, cheep on gas and enough room for you and your girlfrend to "strech out" at the drive in2.gif

----------------

On 3/31/2004 12:43:09 AM mdeneen wrote:

1959 Renault Dauphine - - including hand crank - which was indispensible.

mdeneen
----------------

DUDE! This was my SECOND car (first was a '59 Pontiac Bonneville). It used to vapor lock at least a dozen every summer, usually on the way home from a long day at the beach. I drove the snot out of it for two years--I think I paid $450 for it and sold it for $500. And you're right, the hand crank came in handy more than once.

My daughters first car was a nearly cherry 1991 (?) Chrysler LeBaron convertable turbo given to her by Grandpa. Two years later my wife and I bought her a new Volkswagon Jetta turbo. When I die, I want to come back as one of our generations kids.

My first car was a 1965(?) Dodge Dart with the famous Slant Six engine given to me by my older brother. Some say the SS was one of the best engines ever made.

Chris

Well I figured she is a very good kid with the exception of her mouth ( which I have no Idea where she picked that up from 2.gif ) this car has low miles and should last her thru at least a good portion of college.

OH and as far as insurance goes she won't be the insured driver of this car. I have a really great insurance agent that lists her as the driver of one of my trucks and list my wofe as the driver of this car. Its only raising my rates $20 a month over what they already were. No big deal there.

Colin why the Jinx job ????