I.. see... RAINBOWS!!!!!!!!

chuckears

----------------

On 4/2/2004 1:50:54 PM jhawk92 wrote:

Chuck-

Sniff out a good condition used CRT projector and you won't have to deal with the rainbows, and be well ahead in your bank account because of it. That's the route I'm going as I don't have a ton of cash for a projector (finishing the basement) and a used $2000-2500 CRT machine will certainly outperform a similarly priced digital unit. You'd have to spend a big chunk of money on a new digital unit to get a really good picture, and you may still have the rainbows.

My CRT, when new, was well over $10K, so that's a nice price break and I should get about 9000-10,000 hours on the tubes, so when those are done, hopefully digital will have made some good strides and maybe even beat CRT. Hopefully everything will be up and running by early June.
----------------

Yes CRT's are great and will give you the best blacks and pictures BUT they are not for everyone. They require tweaking and covergence on a regular basis, they are much bigger/heavier/harder to mount, require more light control, no DVI or other digital inputs without an outboard scaler ($$$) or HTPC, and in genral are not as user friendly as a digital projector. It is also getting harder to find qualified LOCAL repair people and parts for some of the older CRT units.

So in summary CRT can offer the best picture at a great price if you are a tweaker/videophile...NOT for the person who wants ease of use and installation in a set in on a coffee table/shelf, connect up a DVD player, aim it at a wall, and forget about it situation. Nothing against CRT's but you do need to give both sides to the story 1.gif

Laters,

Jeff

Off topic, (sorry about that) your title brought Louis Armstrong to mind.....What a wonderful man.

What a Wonderful World Lyrics - Louis Armstrong

I see trees of green, red roses too

I see them bloom for me and you

And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white

The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night

And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky

Are also on the faces of people going by

I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do

They're really saying I love you.

I hear babies crying, I watch them grow

They'll learn much more than I'll never know

And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000003N4G/qid=1080935683/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-5561933-5439837

shadimar,

Thanks for the comparisons: most of the local shops have only one projector per room, with different screens and sources... the selling point for the Runco's by the local dealer are the OOB calibrated grey-scale and PQ.

speed3,

Yes, that is exactly what I see, as well. I'm glad it is a confirmed phenomenon, but not too jazzed by being one of the (un-)lucky few who see them.

jhawk,

Yes, the best image I've seen with a home projector was a CRT; but like shadimar implied, I'm not sure I'm prepared to spend a lot for something that requires the level of maintanence that a CRT requires. I'm willing to deal with the occasional geometry work my $2500 Mits RPTV requires, but would balk at going through the same with a front projector.

Sadly, I think the reason I am starting to seriously look at these things is coming to DVD May 25... I can't imagine seeing the tower of Barad-Dur collapsing on anything less than a grand scale (not to mention a cavalry charge comprising 6000 riders of Rohan, and the few thousand Men of the West surrounded by Sauron's army in front of the Black Gate...) 9.gif

----------------

Sadly, I think the reason I am starting to seriously look at these things is coming to DVD May 25... I can't imagine seeing the tower of Barad-Dur collapsing on anything less than a grand scale (not to mention a cavalry charge comprising 6000 riders of Rohan, and the few thousand Men of the West surrounded by Sauron's army in front of the Black Gate...)
9.gif
----------------

Yup and don't forget the Orginal Star Wars Trilogy will be released in September!!! That is my target date to get everything finished!

Laters,

Jeff

[quote}Rats... I had read that the new DLP projectors had gotten so good, the "rainbow" effect that many viewers have reported being susceptible to was no longer an issue.

Hi Go have a look at the new Infocus Screenplay 7205

It is a HD2+ projector with a 5x 7 segment color wheel

and dimple fix The new wheel modulates the light better

Here is a link for you MSRP is $8999

http://www.infocushome.com/amer/eng/products/screenplay/sp7205.asp

eq/Chuck-

Yes, good points on the "cons" of CRT. I'm giving it a go though, so will be interested when everything comes together in about 2 months.

And as far as the "Original" Star Wars trilogy, well, that's debateable, since it is actually the Special Edition, not the original theatrical version. But I think I'll probably pick it up.

i know i dont have an expensive TV, but i notice god awful rainbow effects on mine. i adjusted the pitcure with sharpness and what not to a picture setting similar to the THX thing (which i know isn't good to calibrate) and it helped a little. maybe its because my DVD player is sitting on a carpeted floor, or maybe its becaust the tv was only $450 a year ago, but i blame it on sharp because i found a forum where sharp users complained to hell and back about it.

----------------

On 4/5/2004 11:35:08 PM Just1n20 wrote:

i know i dont have an expensive TV, but i notice god awful rainbow effects on mine. i adjusted the pitcure with sharpness and what not to a picture setting similar to the THX thing (which i know isn't good to calibrate) and it helped a little. maybe its because my DVD player is sitting on a carpeted floor, or maybe its becaust the tv was only $450 a year ago, but i blame it on sharp because i found a forum where sharp users complained to hell and back about it.

----------------

we are discussing a phenomenon that only occurs w/DLP products.

avman.

I will add my 2 cents to this discussion.

In looking at the original DLP projectors I, too, saw this effect. (The ones I saw were ceiling mount projectors, and I did not like them either.)

I own the second generation Samsung DLP HDTV. It is not a projector, but still DLP, and I do NOT notice this effect. I have had a few people ask about it, even 1 or 2 that have said they have seen it before, but not on mine. I am not sure if the newer chips corrected this or what, but I do not see it now either.

What I do have is a fantastic picture in 61" in a box that weighs barely 100+ lbs and only goes back 17" deep too. So a big screen that you could place even on a table or build into a cabinet like I did.

With the very expenisve plasmas...which I may add have pixels that seem to fade or burn in issues...(I saw a 20K plasma... thats a CAR for a lot of people.... That had burned out pixels, just a few... but trust me once you see them, you ALWAYS see them!!!) I asked the high end guy is this common? He said they all have a few here or there... And not wanting a CRT on the ceiling in the family room. I still believe this Samsung DLP HDTV was, and is, a home run!!

==========================================================

Picky picky... I love the set up, but no Center channel on that one. hahahahahaha Avant Garde is wonderful too. Where would the monsterous sub go, center and rear speakers for 5.1 sound at least?

I still wonder if people will build "music rooms" like they do HT rooms like Artto did, just to be able to close your eyes and really get lost in the music. Or even better have a place so people can play a performance for you on a stage too?