MATRIX: REVOLUTIONS is out on DVD TODAY

picky

Picky... I am so envious of your work... You did such a GREAT job. Here is what you get to work with when you come over. 2.gif

This the kitchenette in the building where my theater is. Not pretty but functional. Needs tones of TLC. It needs YOU and your excellent eye for detail. 10.gif

I guess it's a lot better than what it used to be which was 1 of 3 bays in an old tracker barn.

Kitchen1.jpg

Kitchen2.jpg

Kitchen3.jpg

Kitchen4.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just want to make one thing VERY clear... Those pictures are NOT pics of the inside of my house. 11.gif

Again, those are images of the inside of what was a 3 bay tractor garage. I did not do ANY of the work you see there. Well.. I closed in one huge opening into my theater. but other than that, I didn't put the cabinets up, the sink in, nothing. I can do better work than that. 2.gif

I am getting the two remaining Matrix movies Monday.I really want to hear if all this hype about the deep voice in the third is all about on DVD.

Well with 2650W RMS on the sus in one system and 4040W RMS in the other(subs only) I better hear and feel someting shake. 1.gif

I gotta say...the voice thing is just that...HYPE!!!

this movie was kinda weak--albeit better than the 2nd one.

the sound track is also poorly done--a movie like this that can take full advantage to good channel steering and such, yet it doesn't.

Whoever did the modulation on this Disc should be shot--its terrible.

I'm sure this is so that they can release a DTS-ES BLAH BLAH special 4 disc collectable stuffed neo action figure version in the future, but man...come on....this disc's sound is awful.

I've heard more bass and excellent surround use from SPYGAME (which has a great soundtrack and is very well modulated..and DTS) than this movie.

I'm just peeved that the ONE series of films out of all films that NEEEDS BEGS SCREAMS!! for good sound.....doesn't have it.

My other major film complaint about needing good sound is about to be taken care of--2 disc DTS version of HEAT to be out soon...

I picked up this DVD today myself. Unfortunatly, I did not get a chance to watch it on my own system. However, since I was stuck at Tweeter pretty much all day and had a few hours to kill while waiting for them to install a sub and amp in my truck, I went and watched it on one of thier setups (as well as crank up that new Queensryche CD that I also bought - Rage For Order - Digitally Remastered - Excellent CD BTW - sounds awesome!).

The setup contained Sonus Faber Grand Piano mains, a Sonus Faber center and Sonus Faber surrounds (don't know what the models are), all driven by a B&K AVR-507 reciever, using a Denon DVD-2900 as a source, watched on a Sony 42 inch plasma display. The sub was one of the smaller Velodyne subs (don't remember the model), but packs a pretty good punch for a sub that small.

I thought the movie sounded very good on that setup (and also looked great on that Sony plasma display), with quite a bit of bass. The much talked about "machine voice" did sound good on there. From what I saw, I thought this was an excellent sounding movie. Sound like "RFinco" needs to look into trading in those Def Tech speakers ("Just ribbin' ya there 11.gif"). Seriously, at least on the system I heard it on thus far, I thought it was really good.

Half of the store was in there watching this thing along with me (and probably sold a few folks on that setup). Since the weather is going to be pretty much crap tommorrow, I'll have to watch this again on my own setup. Will be interesting to see how well it sound on there. Those Sonus Faber speakers has a pretty laid back sound, so I am willing to bet this moive will sound even more intense on my Klipsch setup!

I'm sure it sounds great on your system, moon, and the DVD's audio comes over pretty well on mine but I have to agree with a few of the points RF made. Some of it is done well. There are moments the bass is pretty loud but I don't think this is anywhere near a reference sound track and I feel the same way about all the other DVDs in this trilogy. The surrounds aren't used enough.

These so called "professional reviewers" that are giving the audio 5 out of 5 stars need to have their heads examined or better yet their sound systems. You want to hear real bass? Pick yourself up the DTS version of The Haunting and compare it to any DVD out there that people claim has outstanding lows and you'll find out what I mean. Also try Underworld. Theres just no comparison.

Take my word for it. If it's on the sound track my system will give it every chance to shine but this DVD is just lacking some kind of punch it deserves and I blame it, again, on the people that mixed it. As many of you know I use RF-7s for fronts and surrounds and dual SVS Ultras for bass so I think I can push most sound tracks pretty well.

I did like the movie. It's pretty entertaining and has great special effects. It's fun. In fact Im a big matrix fan so perhaps thats why Im so critical of the way it sounds versus what it COULD sound like. Of course that's just my ears opinion but look at the size of those babies! 2.gif And MOST important, Moon, you should keep the machine God as your avatar for a while. It suits you. He he he he 9.gif

----------------

On 4/11/2004 9:04:02 AM BBB wrote:

As many of you know I use RF-7s for fronts and surrounds and dual SVS Ultras for bass so I think
I can push most sound tracks pretty well.

----------------

I should say so. 10.gif I guess I'm just easy to please. So were my guests last night1.gif. They even wanted to watch some Moulan Rouge. Man that movie sounds good.

I watched it last night and I thought it sounded pretty good. But I have to agree with BBB it doesn't compare with The Haunting DTS version or for that matter Titan AE in DTS. I'm also running dual SVS subs, A PB2+ and a PC-Ultra. The Machine God did sound good.

EAR believe me, the Machine voice is simply thee most dynamic piece of audio you have ever witnessed...I kid you not.

I tried it on both my HT system and my Computer system. For Computer, the Promedia's did pretty well with the movie, but of course failed horribly on the Machine voice.

Of Course, in HT my Pioneer CS-R700's did not. They have dynamics too kill and the deep/loud voice of the machine shook the room and you felt every part of him in your body. My AMP EQ was redline-ing as well, I've never seen it go that far. MY Sunfire Signature got a nice workout from this movie, more so then the LOTR trilogy.

----------------

On 4/11/2004 1:06:04 PM wheelman wrote:

BBB is underworld pretty good? I heard it was I may buy that one. They got them already viewed ones on sale of them at my local renter.

----------------

Underworld has a good and hot sound track. And I mean Hot!!! So turn your volume down before you even get to the first chapter. Miss Beckinsale contributes a lot of the heat too.2.gif But you young guys will appreciate that aspect of the film more than I.9.gif

----------------

On 4/11/2004 1:36:10 PM BBB wrote:

----------------

On 4/11/2004 1:06:04 PM wheelman wrote:

BBB is underworld pretty good? I heard it was I may buy that one. They got them already viewed ones on sale of them at my local renter.

----------------

Underworld has a good and hot sound track. And I mean Hot!!! So turn your volume down before you even get to the first chapter. Miss Beckinsale contributes a lot of the heat too.
2.gif
But you young guys will appreciate that aspect of the film more than I.
9.gif

----------------

Beckinsale is one of the main reasons i wanted to watch it3.gif

My {HIC} liquor bottles {HIC} don't lie! {HIC} I didn't imagine it {HIC} when they moved {HIC} from all of the {HIC} bass energy! {HIC} 14.gif

But, seriously folks 9.gif there is always room for improvement in things. And with sound being so subjective and personal, I can understand that everyone does not agree with me such as RFinco. Heck, that's what makes this forum so great; difference of opinion. If everyone agreed, this would all be pretty boring. So, dissing RF's Definitives isn't really being very constructive, in my opinion.

I enjoyed the 'Revloutions' movie more than the 'Reloaded' movie. And I discovered that it's quite possible that the 'Reloaded' movie may actually have more bass energy than 'Revolutions'. I am going to have to watch it again and compare. As far as discussing the channel-steering issues and such, I think RFinco may be more educated in that area than I to be able to discuss it at that level, as I am more basic in that I simply know what I like when I hear it. And, this I liked.

m00n:

Thank you once again for all of the good words about my room and my design and construction abilities. I am very flattered by your comments. Thanks. 16.gif I'm really just a "weekend warrior" with a hammer like many of you fellow forums members. I was an art student through high school and an engineering student in college, so I do have that right-brain/left-brain thing going for me that helps me visualize my ideas fairly well. The basement (office, bath & theater) has been my first real construction project I have ever done on my own in my life, and at 52 I'm sitting here thinking, "What took me so long?" 9.gif It's been a lot of fun, and a pain in the arse at times, too. I did build a cedar deck in the back yard about 14 years ago, but I did have some help with that from a carpenter friend of mine. But this theater has primarily been just me, with some help from my adult son, Bill. I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel as the suspended ceiling is in and so is the low-voltage track lighting I've installed along the ceiling grid over the weekend. I'm starting to wonder what I will do with my time when this project finally comes to an end in a few weeks? OH YEAH! 6.gif WATCH MOVIES!!!!!9.gif

m00n, I would love to take a look at your building if I'm out in Oregon anytime soon. Email me a floorplan of the building. I'd love to "play around" with the room's features! Thanks again, my friend.

-Picky 2.gif

Oh its all good all....you can diss my gear all you want, I'm past the point of getting upset about it, I've had too many people over that know audio that have just fallen in love with my system to care anymore...I like it, and if you don't...thats cool. I would say you should hear it sometime in a theater set up before you judge however...

what I was TRYING to say...but started a rant, is that the recorded level of the Matrix series is rather low, and it DOES NOT take advantage of the technology that is out there. believe me, the Def techs have no problem reproduceing bass, its just that I've heard other movie tracks that were far more impressive than the Machine head part of this film. was it cool? Eh, it was OK. would I use it to show of my system? no.

what HAVE I used to show off my system?---well, the airplane crash in Fightclub is a very good sceene to start with...

My point was this: the matrix series let me down. The sound of this technological extravaganza let me down. Overall, I was wholely unimpressed.

Lord of the rings on the other hand...man....the sound in that series is INCREDIBLE!

I just thought that the matrix series could have been much better modulated and worked on at the sound board. it was not a "hot" recording by any means, and of all films that should be, it should be. Fightclub and Finding Nemo for example I can't even attempt to listen to louder than say... -15, Matrix I was at -6 and still going...

I would also say to the Audiophiles out there, if you are an audiophile and can look past the fact that it is THE MATRIX, the soundtrack on this is rather weak. the channel steering is only So-So, and the bass levels aren't really present, as they are in other great sci-fi films that are out there.

Man you guys can still be rude some times. I'd wager Rfinco's deftechs can produce more bass than my RF-5s, however the machine voice was jaw dropping on my system. I watched this with RF and my personal opinion is he needs MORE POWER: he has huge vaulted ceilings and I don't think his receiver has the juice to fill that room with sound. I have an SVS and a much smaller room so the machine head WAS pretty crazy in my room; other than that I agree that the sound is _average_, it would be the absolute last thing I pulled out to demo my system, after Finding Nemo, LOTR, Fight Club airplane scene, Episode II, etc.

----------------

On 4/12/2004 11:26:21 AM damonrpayne wrote:

Man you guys can still be rude some times. I'd wager Rfinco's deftechs can produce more bass than my RF-5s, however the machine voice was jaw dropping on my system. I watched this with RF and my personal opinion is he needs MORE POWER: he has huge vaulted ceilings and I don't think his receiver has the juice to fill that room with sound. I have an SVS and a much smaller room so the machine head WAS pretty crazy in my room; other than that I agree that the sound is _average_, it would be the absolute last thing I pulled out to demo my system, after Finding Nemo, LOTR, Fight Club airplane scene, Episode II, etc.

----------------

I do need more POWER!! I have a pretty large room( 20 x 25 15 ft ceilings--cool *** apt.) with huge ceilings as DamonR points out...right now I just can't afford a 3k amp though...but...it will be coming soon!

I will say that all the other films that DamonR points out I can EASILY Blast my neigborhood into oblivion if need be....The fight Club Airplane sceene drops pictures off the wall, rattles EVERYTHING in the kitchen...