F$%KING Snipers!!

gullahisland

The attached picture is of 4 MWM's stacked up in my shop.

Not Khorns at all, just large folded bass horns. Part of the MSSM industrial system. The original 4-way system had two of these MWM's, a 10" midbass horn, a quad K-55 driver midrange horn, and a tweeter array.

I'm thinking of building the 4 MWM's in my new room when I build it!

I would still like to know how to put pictures in here with the text instead of attaching them. I know how to put links in here, just not pictures.

Greg

post-11090-1381925392165_thumb.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to labor the obvious, but you can't get sniped if you bid more than the sniper bids. If you bid less, there's no reason to feel bad--presumably you bid what the item was worth to you.

There's no reason to rethink the value of something because another bidder is willing to spend more--that's what gets people into trouble in auctions. I think it is best to decide what your maximum is at the outset and stick with it. If you lose, there's always something else around the corner!

Best in horns,

triceratops

Gullah,

Another place to look in the Bay Area is on Craigs list (www.craigslist.org) they also have a Sacramento/Stockton listing as well. I see K horns pop up there quite a bit.

I am also a sniper. It truly is the only way to go - unless you want to buy with BIN. As has been said here - you decide what you want to pay and then set the snipe. If you get it great if not you dont find yourself in a bidding war. The other benefit is that if you find a better pair of speakers you can just cancel the snipe - no harm no foul!

josh

Back in my college days, and singing in a local top-40 band, I remember this bar had 4 mwm's with a stage floor built above them about 4 inches above the speakers. Full sides with the 10" mid horn the high horn and the skinny tweeter array were flown with very thick chains in a room with say 15 foot ceilings?

Most live music for the most part in a PA system goes to maybe 50Htz... When synths came out, we had a great keyboard player and in the 80's heavy synth era when Van Halens JUMP synth part blasted out, it was just a room shaking experience I'll tell ya. Let's just say we found some lower notes blasting out loud n clear!! While I will never be Diamond Dave....The song still rocked and felt so good rumbling below me..LOL.

A bit of info about the MCM 1900 system. First of all, Greg's units are SPLIT MWM units, meaning they are the equivalent of TWO MWM units, not four units. MWM units are the woofer units (the "W" stands for woofer). The standard MWM was fired by two K-43 15" woofers. The split units are fired by one K-43. The subsquawker wooden horn unit fired by a cone driver originally made by Cetec is called the MSSM (the "SS" stands for sub-squawker). The squawker unit that has the fiberglass mid-horn lens, with the four-way manifold for mounting four K55V units is called the MSM(the "S" stands for squawker). And the tweeter unit that has five tweeters in it is called the MTM ("T" stands for tweeter). Together, these units comprise one channel of a MCM 1900 system.

The original MCM 1900 system was only a three-way system in its infancy, but within a year or so the MSSM was added to make it a four-way system. Split MWM units came about due to the difficulty of handling these full-size MWM units by road crews, so they created the split version to ease handling. But most of these MWM woofer units placed in permanent service in movie theaters and such were not of the split version.

Today the MWM woofer unit lives on as the sole surviving unit of the original MCM 1900 system remaining in manufacture. It is currently the woofer unit used in the MCM Grande system.

Gullah,

I understand your frustration -- I've been there. It's what prompted me to approach auctions the way I do now.

Bid what you're willing to pay for an item when you first see it, then walk away and check the auction when it closes. If someone wants to bid more than you want to pay, good for him, he can have it. If no one else wants it as much as you do, congratulations, it's yours.

Other people have other ideas that work for them. Maybe they use the snipers because they like to get something for $95 that they were willing to pay $100 for. Me, I don't care. If it's worth a hundred bucks to me, it's worth a hundred bucks!

Good luck on your quest. You've got some good people up there in NorCal that seem happy to help you out. I'm sure you'll find what you're after.

confirmed sniper here - technique works great - unless there are last minute line glichtes; works even better on uBid where there are a few items to bid, you don't have to beat the highest bid, just the lowest winning bid when there are several units of the same item for sale!

The K-horns were delivered today. They are in really great shape. The ebay seller really didn't describe them well enough (they are in much better shape than he mentioned)and they have sequential serial numbers. I went through my entire CD collection and it made me feel as if I had never heard the music before.I really thought my 89 Fortes sounded good until I heard these K-horns!! They are incredible!!!

gullahisland, try calling the ebay guy--he told me he would have another set of K-horns available really soon.He is a very nice person to deal with, he even helped me carry them into my house and set them up.

post-15041-1381925392411_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 4/13/2004 4:15:26 PM heretic wrote:

Gullah,

I understand your frustration -- I've been there. It's what prompted me to approach auctions the way I do now.

Bid what you're willing to pay for an item when you first see it, then walk away and check the auction when it closes. If someone wants to bid more than you want to pay, good for him, he can have it. If no one else wants it as much as you do, congratulations, it's yours.

Other people have other ideas that work for them. Maybe they use the snipers because they like to get something for $95 that they were willing to pay $100 for. Me, I don't care. If it's worth a hundred bucks to me, it's worth a hundred bucks!

Good luck on your quest. You've got some good people up there in NorCal that seem happy to help you out. I'm sure you'll find what you're after.

----------------

Heretic,

What you described as your way of doing auctions is exactly what sniping allows. You decide what you want to pay - enter the snipe- and walk away! The difference is that you dont give people the opportunity to see what you are willing to pay! The other difference is that if you snipe a hundred on something and then find the same thing in the local ppaper or at a garage sale you buy it and cancel the snipe - no harm no foul!

Josh

Thanks guys,

I'm cooling down and feeling better today. I guess the reality here is that McDeath outbid me and was willing to spend more than me. Quite frankly, even if I had bid $2,151 (the winning bid) odds are good that McDeath was willing to spend more than me.

Meanwhile, I've got a lead on another pair of K-horns. I may have to drive a bit to get them, but it may be worth the drive. Besides, I'm already commited to picking up another pair of speakers (Martin Logan CLSIIz's) in the same area. I've already paid for the ML's, but I'm probably going to just turn around and sell them to help fund my K-horn purchase.

Which leads me to an interesting proposal...Anybody want to TRADE their K-horns for the Martin Logans??9.gif

I didn't think so.15.gif Guess they'll be fodder for Ebay or AudiogoN!

On the plus side, I only paid $1,250 for them and I suspect that they'll fetch something in the $1,800-2,200 range.