'61 Klipschorns

lshannon

The cabinets look nice, he should be asking more then he is. I would ask more for them if I built those cabinets. It is a good deal for someone.

I don't like that year of the Klipschorn. I think the newer ones sound better.

Check the labels, those are type D, decorator, finish RF, raw fir.

What he has there is basically a pair of theater models with a custom cabinet that sets over and hides the fir plywood boxes. Probably impossible to ever know for certain whether to custom cabinet was manufactured by Klipsch or a local cabinet maker. The side grill setup doesn't look familiar to me.

As far the drivers and crossovers go they're nearly identical to my 2/12/60 Lacquered Mahogany pair. Mine are 1511 and 1517. Mine have a cover over the backs of the woofer magnets, but I think it's a cosmetic deal. I'll bet a dollar that the motorboards have those little wood blocks in front of the slot, killing off the response below about 45Hz or so.

Nice stuff. Soundbug1 is Mark Voight, a very reputable ebay vendor. I wonder where he finds this stuff. He had that really nice pair of Belles a couple weeks ago and a nice set of LS last week. He has also moved a boatload of Scott tube gear on ebay.

These would fall in the $1500 to $2 grand range without the era drop cabinets. They have the Eames inspired lead nosing that was all the rage in the late '50s and very early '60s, so some cabinet maker probably was commissioned to build these by the original owner - someone with good tastes in speakers and cabinets!3.gif

----------------

On 4/19/2004 12:51:19 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Most people missed the lovely '71 Vertical Cornwalls that he had in Teak, with the glass tops. They lasted less than 2 hours before someone used the BIN feature and reeled them in for $1499. They were nice!

----------------

I couldn't pass them up, but how am i gonna get them to Cincinnati. any help from the east coasters. he said he was going to get me some shipping prices.

Ask the seller if there is a Forward Air depot near him. Their US headquarters is in Columbus, so that would be an easy drive for you. They are the least expensive shipper of big items. As many large items as the seller deals with, he's bound to have a crating firm he can recommend.

Those were sweet looking 61's. I to am not sure they were Klipsch cabinets or customs but they look outstanding. I agree with Q-MAN if I made them I would charge the moon for them. Actually if they were mine theyd be in my system. I'd love to have a pair of K-Horns, just not in the cards at the moment. Anyway they looked great.

Hello,

I'm the seller of those 1961 Klipschorns on Ebay. I'm glad they have received a lot of attention here. As to the cabinet covers, I spoke with Trey Cannon at Klipsch a few years back about them. He said that there was no way to tell if those were built by Klipsch BUT at that time Paul Klipsch (sadly missed) was doing a lot of custom work. The craftsmanship certainly suggests a workshop as fine as Klipsch built them. These are NOT homemade. To further the story on the pair, these were bought from the family of the man who originally bought them in 1961. The old doctor died in 1965 and the speakers, the Marantz model 9 pair and the Marantz model 7 sat unused until I bought them and NO I did not steal the stereo equipment. I gave nearly $10K for the system even though I knew the midrange drivers were bad.

I've had the speakers 2 years and have used them off and on. The ORIGINAL university drivers for the midrange speakers were sent to Bill Miller of Miller Sound in PA. He could not repair them because they were in a sealed enclosure. I asked around and found that the best replacement according to Klipsch forum guys. The tweeters are original and the woofers are original too. Remember that Paul was doing custom work at this time and he would have probably installed any component the customer requested (within reason). The reason I'm asking premium is because of condition, originality and the VERY nice components. This is truly a unique pair. While newer horns sell for less, the older horns are much rarer and the midrange sounds much less harsh. Someone said they didnt like the sound - personal taste. I've found that most people who hated Klipsch speakers found this pair to be very pleasing. Solid State amplification has NEVER been used on this pair. Low powered tube amps only.

Thanks for all the interest and for all the kind words about the pair and my reputation as an Ebay seller. I will soon be listing tons of vintage HH Scott tube items for all you tube lovers.

Mark Voigt

Thanks for stopping by, Mark. You got another boatload of Scott gear, or this some more of the last bunch?

Where did you find those Belles, Cornwalls and LaScalas? Are you selling off a private collection or is it stuff you just ran across? You've posted several really nice Klipsch items lately.

The 222C I bought from you was fixed up, now belongs to another member here.