Cornwall and McIntosh

richieb

Tinkering with the idea of trying a Mac with my new newly acquired '76 Cornwalls. Love the Corns with my integrated tube Cayin TA-30. Have never heard Cornwalls with SS gear, so my question for you Mac/Cornwalls users is which direction to go, McIntosh 5100 or 6100 S/S integrated or

Mac 230 tube integrated. Will the 5100 or 6100 be too harsh with Cornwalls or is the Mac a good enough design to work around this. Mostly listen to jazz, blues, some light rock/country. Any input is appreciated.

Rich

The McIntosh MA230 is the single WORST sounding piece of McIntosh gear I have EVER heard. Period. It combines a decent 7591 tube amp (similar to the MC-225) with a TERRIBLE solid state preamp (similar to the horrendous C24 preamp). DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE--YOU WILL NOT LIKE IT!

Later McIntosh solid state gear is excellent and there are a few guys here who have run Mc SS gear with Conrwalls with excellent results.

Why not consider a pair of MC-30's? They can be had pretty cheap (compared to other MAC tube gear) and are the best sounding amp McIntosh ever made (just ask the man who owns a pair). If you like the "dark" (I HATE THAT TERM--lets call it "lush" and "full of life" shall we?) McIntosh sound, consider a later SS MAC preamp (C28?)--they are WAY cheaper than the tube stuff.

I've been running MC30s and a C22 for YEARS with my Cornwalls and might well NEVER change . . .

I used to run a pair of '79 Corns with a Mac MC250. It sounded pretty darn good. Then after hooking the Corns up to the 4 ohm taps, it got even better! That was the most "tube-like" SS amp I ever heard, mainly due to the output transformers.

If you decide to go with a Mac SS integrated, make sure it has those output transformers. Those are the key to getting that great tube sound to your Corns. 2.gif

P8100061_then1.jpg

My brothers and I have paired our dad's '79 Cornwalls with McIntosh amps (MC7200, MC2100, and MC250)...it's a perfect combination; a no-brainer if you will. And if you decide on any McIntosh tube amp like the MC225, MC240, or the MC30 monoblocks, etc., I think you will certainly be amazed at just how good the Cornwalls will sound! Give any McIntosh a try, SS or tubes. I know you'll be completely satisfied!

Chops is correct in his assessment that the patanted McIntosh Autoformers is the key to a much more tube-like sound quality that's much smoother IMO than the direct-coupled Macs like my previous MC7200. This Mac still outshined any previous SS amp I had used, but I think the Autoformers are your best bet with your Cornwalls.

post-11084-1381925415577_thumb.jpg

However, I would not recommend any of the Mac amps without the output transformers like that MC7200. That thing absolutely sucked with the Cornwalls. It was vary harsh and thin sounding. The MC250 and MC2100 amps were much, much better sounding. I would even venture to say they were a perfect match, or any of the vintage Mac gear for that matter.

Yeah, chops.....the autoformers is where it's at. The 250, 2100, 2505, 2105 are certainly the ticket with the Heritage, if one wants solid state.

But lo, Allan's recommendation of the MC-30 is certainly being heeded here....as I am now half way to a pair of these beauties. I've spent more than a few hours reading Allan's posts on those - and how to tube them. I am totally convinced these will be bliss with the Belles, a perfect fit for that system. I find the SS models very much at home in the Cornwall theater - so much so, that the Mac SS in the 2 channel system will be moving into the theater, as that setup will eventually have 250's all around.

Now if Allan has the patience to let me play 20 questions on how to tube these, I'll be in good shape12.gif

----------------

On 4/22/2004 9:37:57 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Why not consider a pair of MC-30's? They can be had pretty cheap (compared to other MAC tube gear) and are the best sounding amp McIntosh ever made (just ask the man who owns a pair). If you like the "dark" (I HATE THAT TERM--lets call it "lush" and "full of life" shall we?) McIntosh sound, consider a later SS MAC preamp (C28?)--they are WAY cheaper than the tube stuff.

I've been running MC30s and a C22 for YEARS with my Cornwalls and might well NEVER change . . .----------------

I keep hoping someone I know that has a pair of them MC-30's will develop some small problem that require attention so I can hear them sweet babies. I sure wish McIntosh didn't build them darn things so good 2.gif

Craig

I cannot comment on a McIntosh/Cornwall combo, but with my Khorns I found the previously owned C29/MC 2105 simply too bright. Both are terrific amps, but perhaps not with Klipsch Heritage speakers IMO.

I certainly agree when it comes to the MC30s, though! I had mine serviced recently and even with KT66 replicas (no funds for the real stuff) I am very satisfied with the way they sound 9.gif ...the same applies to the MX110 after retubing. I believe that this unit IS underrated by some people, but hasten to add that I belonged to this group as well until I rolled those tubes.

So I'd say if McIntosh, get decent tube units.

Wolfram

Solid state Mcintosh & Cornwalls are an excellent combo in my humble opinion. Goes together like peanut butter & jelly. I ran a Mac MC 7150 autoformer amp-1991-94 vintage & Mac C 38 preamp-1999 vintage, Mac MCD 7009 cd player,

Pioneer Elite PD 65 cd player, Mac

MR 77 tuner & 1977 Cornwalls. I bought the 1977 Cornwalls from a gentleman in San Antonio-Andrew Weiss, got them off of Ebay in 2000. I live 2-1/2 hours south in

Corpus Christi. Picking the speakers up at Andy's house was an

epiphany & revelation. Andy was a tube man & a super guy, very friendly to a total stranger he was letting into his house. I had never heard a tube amp before. The Cornwalls were in his 2nd system- EAR 859 integrated SET amp-13 watts x 2, EAD transport & DAC & 1977 birch Cornwalls stained in a light cherry in very good condition. I was blown away by the sonics of tubes. Andy's main system at the time was a Audio Research VT 100 mk II amp-100 watts x 2, no preamp, Wadia 861 cd

player direct in to the AR amp & a pair of very expensive Proac tower speakers-don't remember the model

right now. Andy also had expensive

power cords, rca interconnects & speaker wire in both systems. I was like a kid in a candy store asking Andy questions about his both his systems. I told Andy I had only read about the caliber of equipment he owned. Andy fired up his main system for me to listen to after we had listened to his 2nd system with the Cornwalls. I was impressed with both systems. I ran the Mac/Cornwall combo for 2 years and picked up a 2nd pair of 1983 walnut Cornwalls from a guy in Sugarland-Houston suburb in 2001. I ran the Mac/double Cornwall combo until I bought

Welborne Labs SET 2A3 Moondogs in July 2002. I then had a tube system with the 1977 Cornwalls &

Mac ss system with the 1983 Cornwalls. I bought a Llano Phoenix CAS 300/VA2 mosfet/tube hybrid amp in May 2003 (amp is built in Lubbock, Texas-I lived in Lubbock-Buddy Holly country from 1988-1994 while working for Amoco. Production Co. in the oil & gas industry). Owning a Texas made amp

appealed to me & I got a very good deal on a used 2 month old LLano Phoenix off of Audiogon. Turns out

that the seller (Mark) & I had lived in Lubbock during the same time period. Mark was a psychologist at Texas Tech University. Mark had met Randy White-owner & designer of Llano Design Group while living in Lubbock. Mark had owned a Llano mosfet, then a Llano Trinity- mosfet/tube hybrid & then Llano

Phoenix mosfet/tube hybrid amp. The LLano Phoenix is a class A-2 gain stage-separate enclosures for the CAS 300 current section-mosfet output & VA2 voltage section-uses 6SN7/12SN7/6SL7 tubes. 300 watts x 2 @8 ohms & 600 watts x 2 @4 ohms.

The LLano Phoenix has the same sonic attributes as the Mcintosh but better in my opinion. The Mcintosh is very smooth & musical.

The Llano Phoenix is also very smooth & musical but better in my opinion. It has deeper, stronger bass, excellent midrange & more treble extension. It has more detail. The Mcintosh sonics sounds slightly veiled or homogenized in comparison with the Llano Phoenix.

They are both very good amps & I like both. I hooked the Mac back up 2 weeks ago and have enjoyed listening to it. I love & missed the Mac's big blue power meters. I

just bought a used Dehavilland Verve 6SN7 preamp off of Audiogon

from a guy in the San Francisco area. Ted-the original owner customized the preamp. He had larger knobs machined at a machine shop for the Verve preamp & then had the knobs & front plate goldplated at a plating shop. The Verve preamp is very purty in my opinion-picture is up on his ad at Audiogon. It will ship out today via Fedex 3 day Express air & arrive early next week. I am going

to use the Verve with the Llano Phoenix amp & 1983 Cornwalls. Will

use the Mcintosh in a 3rd system with spare gear & my venerable double New Advents from the late

70's-early 80's. Cornwalls sound excellent with Mcintosh, Welborne Labs 2A3 SET Moondogs & Llano Phoenix mosfet/tube hybrid amp in my humble opinion. Your mileage may vary. Ramblings & opinion from an opinionated Texan.

Regards, Mike

Hey Erik. The Moondogs are still

barking in excellent harmony. They prefer playing at night so they can howl at the moon. Thanks again for working your magic on them. I picked up a matched pair of 1947 RCA Blackplates from Tubeworld several months ago. I like their sonics.

I was up in your part of the country & in East Texas from March 3-19. My brother, sister & I own 21.6 acres of timber land & my mom's sister Aunt Reba owns 21.6

acres. The land is my grandparents old farm. The land is located

between Rusk & Jacksonville or around 45 miles south of Tyler. I got bids from 3 timber companies to harvest the pine-14" & larger at the stump & hardwood 16" & larger at the stump. Went with the high bid- Renfro Land & Timber Co. out of Zavala, Texas. I drove up to Katy on Wed. night March 3 and spent the night with my brother & sister in law. Drove up to East Texas on Thursday-3hour & 45 minute drive from Katy. I met the Forester for Renfro-Tim Haney Friday morning at our land. He walked me around the property boundaries that he had marked with red tape. My siblings & I had no idea what the property lines were. Aunt Reba is 81 and was not totally sure if she remembered the property lines. I stayed up there while they were cutting timber during the week & went back to Katy on the weekends. I stayed in

Tyler. I worked my butt off marking the property lines. I bought 45-6 foot t-posts, they

weigh 1.25 lbs a post. A 16 lb t-post driver, an 18" machete & a bunch of cans of fluorescent pink & orange spray paint. T-posts are used for stringing a barbed wire fence. I had a head & chest cold before I went up there. Alot

of the land is hilly with multiple streams & snakes-copperheads, rattlesnakes & water mocasins. And briar vine-thorny vine that will eat your lunch if you walk into it. The machete was for obliterating the fricking briar vine whenever I ran across it.

I had to pack mule the t-posts, 16 lb driver, machete, spray paint. The manual labor would normally have kicked my butt & it did. With a head & chest cold, it double kicked my butt. I spray painted the t-posts a pink/orange combo so it would stand out. It was a labor of love. I now know the property lines. And if my brother, sister or Aunt Reba go up to East Texas, they will be able to visually see

the property lines.

I met the Head Football Coach for Cinco Ranch High School at my brother's shop. He was getting some Cinco Ranch caps done. My brother had done 2 prototypes of caps with different colors of maroon embroidery. One cap was Aggie maroon with silver/ gray trim & the other cap was a different color maroon with black trim. He went with the Aggie maroon & silver cap. I can't remember the coach's name. I asked

if he knew you and told him how we were Klipsch speaker owners and participated at a Klipsch 2 channel Forum website. I told him how you had helped me & others out. That you had repaired my Moondog amps. He said you were a good guy & I totally agreed. I proceeded to bore him talking about tube stereo equipment & Klipsch speakers. The Dehavilland

Verve preamp that I am getting is an all octal tube compliment, tube rectified, class A-zero negative feedback. It uses 1 6SN7 tube, 2 6AH4 tubes-cathode follower & a 5U4G rectifier tube. I am getting

a Tungsol 6SN7, 2 General Electric 6AH4 GT's & 1 Sylvania 5U4 GB rectifier. These tubes were bought in Jan. 2004 & have very low hours on them. The Verve preamp is sitting in San Antonio Fedex facility right now. I am anxiously

waiting for my new toy. I know you are enjoying your Klipschhorns. I would like to own a pair of Khorns

but do not have the proper prerequisite corners. False corners would be a no go due to the room layout. Well I need to crash & go to bed. Talk to ya' later.

Regards, Mike

"Back in the day..." the Mac 6100 and the Cornwalls were a popular combination and often sold together as part of a package. Mine sounds quite good with the Shorthorns (although the turn on thump can be rather alarming) and the loudness/presence control isn't terribly useful. I'd stay away from the 5100, and the MA-230 has developed a bad reputation which I don't think is completely deserved.

Besides, it's a McIntosh. How far wrong could you go?2.gif

• 2 years later...