EICO vs. modern tube integrated

richieb

----------------

On 4/25/2004 11:44:52 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

Yeah, it'a a shame. Paul has really been on good behavior lately. Craig too. Now this. It's too far into spring to write it off to cabin fever. I wonder why these guys all decided to revert to the old, pre-shutdown behaviors. Re-reading the thread it looks it went to pieces after the "chicken bones" remark. Maybe there needs to be another vacation.....

Personally, I'm doing better with email exchanges now, turns out there's guys out there who have a lot to contribute but are so tired of the flame wars and attacks they don't want to post here anymore. Too bad.

----------------

Exactly what did I do here ? You people are flipping me out !! All I did was do a quick search and found nothing NO BIG DEAL. I have enjoyed totally being ignored by Jazzman and want it to stay that way. Do you guy's all forget the total floggings I have taken from him in the past ? Do you think I forget these things ? I NEVER EVER post to Jazzman first I NEVER EVER COME OUT ATTACKING JAZZMAN. I have asked him numorous times in the past to not post to me NOTHING HAS CHANGED I want to keep it that way. The last few months have been nice !

This was what I said and its exactly what I MEAN

Jazzman,

This is a true warning of total concern for you. As of the last few months you have avoided me and I have avoided you. This is turn has let us both to exist on this forum in complete harmony. You have broken the Ice here. I request once more that you refrain from posting to me in any way, shape or form and I in return will do the same for you.

enough said

Craig

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 4/26/2004 12:56:36 AM Ryan C. Inman wrote:

"A storm is headed your way just to warn you !! Pay backs are hell but you know lying and dishonesty always have a way of catching up with the quilty party.

Craig"

So, where is that storm you promised me? Is this how you deal with people you dislike? Making dead threats like this? Your threats are like a boomerang Craig, eventually they will come back around and smack you upside the head. Might knock some sense into you
2.gif
Going to Indy this year?
----------------

Just keeping records !!

I have had my Cayin TA 30 for almost 2 months now and it is my first tube integrated amp. Before I used 2 Monarchy Audio SM 70 pros that sounded very good but the TA 30 has a fuller, smoother sound to it and the bass is better also. With the SM 70 pros you could hear more details but the midrange and bass was a bit more subdued. With my KLF 20s the SM 70 pros sounded better than on my La Scalas but the TA 30 sounds better on both types of speakers.

In a year or two I will be ready to buy a tube preamp and amps which will take me to the next level in quality tube sound. I cannot comment on the vintage amp but if anyone lives near Austin, TX and wants to do a comparison between a vintage and new integrated amp then send me a email. There is one amp, Dh200 Hafler with 100 watts that my friend used with La Scalas that sounded very good to me. The sound was very good not as warm as a tube amp but close I see them on Ebay so I may have to buy one just to try it. One thing I will admit is I don't think I will be going back to SS amps anytime soon. Also I have been using the TA 30 running the LS in my home theater system and it has sounded great!

Xman

Gentlemen, let's starting acting like gentlemen(notice there has never been a ladies cat fight yet?!)

Paul and Allan don't get along. Paul also champions the crusade on the PP side when comparing notes alongside the SET brigade.

Edmund doesn't mix well with Paul, and really gets his fur wet around Craig. Craig, meanwhile, dukes it out with Ryan on many occasions. He and Kelly have recently had a mutual ceasefire.

There are many people on the forum with widely diverging views and life experiences. A good forum will allow these people to converse freely without the superfluous BS about 90% of the time. If we count threads, this is a good forum. The downside is the BS overtakes good threads like this one, and it turns into an attack and flame thread and generates the most volume.

Eico HF81s are a sweet integrated when dialed in. Right now they are going for $175 to $300, barn fresh needing a good bench freshening, on EBay. A visit to our tube doctors will run another $125 to $300, so you are looking at $300 to $600+ for a solid performing Eico that has been dialed in.

The Williamson circuit is an elegant design, but I found it a little lacking in the bass. Listening to some Blue Note jazz releases, I have found the 6L6 based Macs and the EL34 based Dynaco ST70 to give me a sound closer to what I like. Not a ping on the Eico, just getting closer to how I want my music to sound. The Eico topology with the 6BQ5 oputputs didn't drive my car.

In the $400 to $600 range, you can pick and choose the topology you want, and the output tubes that may get you closer to the sound you desire. The good deal is you can listen to various loaner SS amp designs and find what characteristics you want from SS, and that may help on the tube side. There are people who have blown through thirty amps on this site, trying to hit that sound, and there are people who have found that sound and have been settled for thirty years.

You're right, Larry. In-person, people seem to be able to be pretty civil, whether they've emerged from behind the computer screen, or the steering wheel.

On the other hand, I've heard Klipsch is converting the anechoic chamber into a padded cell for the event. Be prepared!!

Bass performance of the Eico improves noticably if fresh EZ81 are rolled in. I picked up some RFTs and they seem to give the old baby a new life. But I agree, there are quite a few options around in that price range.

Wolfram

----------------

On 4/26/2004 2:16:36 AM Tom Mobley wrote:

Craig, what I wrote was that you had been on best behavior lately. What's wrong with that?

----------------

nothing I guess? It just looked like you were inferring that I had something to do with the bull in this thread. I guess I misread you sorry !

Craig

What's amazing to me is how kind and generous almost everyone I've ever met or spoken to or privately emailed with from this forum is. Sometimes when people get behind the keyboard, their personality completely changes.

This is a general statement. Please do not take this personally anyone. I bet we'd all get along just fine in Indy regardless of who shows up.