How often do you adjust your speaker levels?

m00n

just curious if this happens to you guys? Seems as though everytime I go in and read my speaker levels with my SPL, I find that I always end up tweeking them just a bit. Do you guys find this to be the same? if so I'm wondering why they seem to get off? Could changes in room temprature have an affect?

yep, about everytime my wife is gone and i want to watch something at theater and above levels, i adjust.

funny how things like the balance b/t fronts or surrounds need adjusting.

maybe one time all are fine, next time, the right is 2-3 clicks high....

i think it has to do with where you sit, your pillows on your couch, and if your cat happens to be in the room at the time of measurement.

i noticed when checkin some of the higher freqs for my mains that when the cat walked thru the room, i would see 5-9 dB drops/peaks occur.11.gif

My wife could give you a whole comedy routine about me and my test records, test tones, spl meter and microphones. In fact she regularly tries to embarass me in front of friends and family with her funny little impersonation of me doing my little audio-dork thing. She seems to think it's weird. Can you believe that? 9.gif But I digress...

I don't really tweek that often. Mostly whenever anything changes in the system or room. Like if I move a picture.9.gif

----------------

On 5/2/2004 11:31:25 PM m00n wrote:

Good to know it's not just me.
4.gif

----------------

No, not just you - but no one has addressed the "why" question yet. What changes? Cables burning in, speaker use, SPL meter variation... I know my ears aren't perfect and I change things from time to time based on ear-readings (something sounds better to me one day than the next), but what's up with varations with even with meter readings?

I guess it doesn't matter much - I would tinker with it anyway. 2.gif

I have had to adjust the HT system as a whole three times after initial set up.

First - It definitely seems like the Denon took on a different character after about 45 days (burn in?).

Second - When I replaced the Sub with the SVS.

Third - about 60 days after SVS was in had to redo to accomandate the burned in sub (yes - it definitely changed - I just don't know if it was after 3 days or 60).

Due to the nature of some recorded stuff I may have to make indiviual changes to the center or sub, but all returns to the last levels as a general rule for a substantial portion of what is viewed/heard. It is well into its second year since the last adjustment. I am having a bit more of a problem with the two channel set up and a tad goofier room.

There are too many variables for speaker level not to change a little bit. I like the line voltage supplied by my power company to be fully up to 120 volts when I set levels. I also like the equipment warmed up for at least 30 minutes.

I used to tweak constantly, but have decided that there is little point in the constant tweaking. I now run my surrounds about 1 db hot and the center .5 db hot.

Bill

Again, you are not alone. I usually set everything with the meter and keep those setting written down (as a type of default). I am also playing with it constantly with ultimate tweeks as to what sounds the best to my ears (on a given day).

Carl.

Yes I tweak every couple weeks or more and usually I have to adjust something. It perfects check it a week later and changing it again. Wife thinks I am nuts, with the spl, and measuring tape to make sure they are equal distances and stuff. Making sure my wires are tight all the time, checking during the movie to be sure it is running the right format. Finally got all my wires tight and clean, and now the tv needs to moved for a tv repair, I am sure he will be gentle too7.gif . Looks like another two months of checking wires and spl again!6.gif