Cornwalls For Sale

Gilbert

I'm considering selling a pair of my Cornwall's, and will offer 1st chance to a forum member. I say I'm considering selling, because I don't really want to sell them (unless the $ is right). The house I currently live in is getting full, 2 Khorns, 6 Cornwalls, 2 Forte's and a 15" Velodyne to be precise. Anyway, the house looks like speaker town and I need some space. The right price is $1100, and does not include shipping, but shipping will be the straight/actual cost, no message. So if your interested, it would be a good idea to obtain the Cornwall vault for shipping. Pick-up would be even better.

The speakers are Oiled Oak with a Lt.Brown w/black grill cloth, serial nos. 89118180 & 89118181. Their veneer's are almost twin-like, and the over all condition is 98.5%. They are gorgeous, guaranteed. The only flaw that I see is a bump at the top back corner of 1 of the speakers. About 1/5 the size of a dime, very minor. The risers are attached.

If your seriously interested, just reply. Either PM or email.

It is high, but it's not a rip-off price either. It's just like I said, I don't really want to part with them unless the $ is right. And if they go to ebay, guess what the reserve will be.

A "fair" price would be $850, which is what most pay for a near mint vintage pair. I paid $1100 for a pair once, but that included paying for the construction of a custom sheet metal vault/crate -- which I donated to the forum -- and is still used today to move Cornwalls back and forth across the country. Since your asking price is basically pushing into used Klipschorn territory -- you might consider just keeping them (since you really don't want to sell anyway).

I sold my walnut Cornwalls (or, was it my Walmart Corn Nuts?) for $1100, just a couple of months ago. As you may recall, I took stunning photographs, and wrote a beautiful description. I even used a bit o' HTM friggin' L to spice it up!

JMHO but I would echo Pirahna and Fini on this one, I think the price is not unreasonable--especially considering the condition. The oiled oak veneer is also less common than oiled walnut and some folks are willing to pay a premium for that. I personally prefer walnut, but light-colored wood may be more living-room friendly in some households.

Remember that these speakers cost about $1800 when they were new 15 years ago, and there is nothing out there that can touch them in that price range today. I think we may get a little jaded because so many great deals pass through the Forum.

Gilbert, how do you think Fortes (type I?) compare with Cornwalls? Which do you prefer and what are your music tastes? I've seen a lot of positive comments on Fortes on the Forum and there is a local pair I am considering going to check out.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Hi Tritops:

I'm like you in that I too prefer the WO variety of Heritage. But I didn't know they were less common than OO. I thought it was the other way around. But the finish on my OO Cornswalls appears distinctly darker than the typicall OO's I've seen on ebay, and at a friends house. They're kind of a dirty blond color, not overly light. All my other speakers are WO, which is another reason I'm leaning toward selling the OO Corn's. Surpisingly to me though, my wife prefers the OO's.

As for the listening difference between the Forte's and Cornwalls,.... for me, that's a tuff, very tuff call, but I do think Cornwalls sound better, but not by much. The area in which I think they edge out the Forte's is in the mid-rage, but like I said, it's a very tuff call for me. My hearing probably isn't as detailed as some of you guys on this forum. I love my Forte's, and they are w/o doubt a very decieving speaker. They sound much much bigger than they really are.

As for my music preference, I enjoy most all music (really), except Hip-Hop and RAP. I can listen to AC/DC one day, and then slip-in a Chopin concerto the next or crank-up a Rock-A-Billy CD. As far as new music I enjoy listening to Coldplay the most. As for classic, depending on my mood, I have a tendency to lean towards either of the Big-3...i.e. Tchaikovsky, Mozart or Beethoven. Oh, and Chopin, I love the piano and violin concerto's. However, at the core of my heart, is definitely Rock and Roll.

Hey Gilbert, looking to thin the Heritage heard so to speak or did you decide to get those Khorn's in Tulsa and need to make room? I would love to have them since they match the finish of my Khorn's perfectly and were made in '89 one year later than my Khorns. The logitics of getting them up here would be a nightmare to say the least. The nearest Forward Air terminal is over 3 hours away from me. Post some photos of them so the forum folks can see them! From what I recall on the photos that I saw when you were purchasing them they looked awesome!

Hi Gilbert,

Thanks for your detailed response. I think my statement about finishes may have been unclear. I was trying to say that the Walnut finishes are much more common than the Oak finishes on Heritage speakers. Someone who prefers Oak would possibly be willing to pay more than the "average" Cornwall prices as a result, especially considering that the condition of your speakers is anything but average!

Best in horns,

triceratops

----------------

On 5/3/2004 9:11:18 PM Piranha wrote:

I am looking for some used K-horns and would love to find a pair in the $1100 range.
9.gif

----------------

in todays market $1100 might get you one k-horn. i paid $1850 and $1900 for the 2 pair i own. LOL1.gif1.gif1.gif

----------------

On 5/4/2004 4:58:36 PM gullahisland wrote:

I got my '77 K-horns for $1,250. Just picked them up last Wednesday!
4.gif

----------------

on a scale of 1-10 what condition are they. 10 being mint