West Coast meeting on May 22?

You are all invited to a little get-together at my house in Long Beach on May 22 at 5PM. Lots of good food and drink and MUSIC! There is one little thing I ought to mention before any of you think seriously about attending--this is a fundraiser for the John Kerry campaign. Everyone will receive campaign buttons, bumper stickers and lawn signs as parting gifts.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 5/13/2004 4:57:45 PM Allan Songer wrote:

--this is a fundraiser for the John Kerry campaign. Everyone will receive campaign buttons, bumper stickers and lawn signs as parting gifts.

----------------

ERRR, do I HAVE to give something AND TAKE HOME THE "parting gifts?" 14.gif I work at Boeing and I am just too close not to come but, that really isn't my normal crowd to hang with. I am into good music though!2.gif

----------------

On 5/13/2004 9:51:52 PM cablacksmith wrote:

----------------

--this is a fundraiser for the John Kerry campaign. Everyone will receive campaign buttons, bumper stickers and lawn signs as parting gifts.

----------------

ERRR, do I HAVE to give something AND TAKE HOME THE "parting gifts?"
14.gif
I work at Boeing and I am just too close not to come but, that really isn't my normal crowd to hang with. I am into good music though!
2.gif

----------------

Do you practice the blacksmithing trade for Boeing?

----------------

There is one little thing I ought to mention before any of you think seriously about attending--this is a fundraiser for the John Kerry campaign. Everyone will receive campaign buttons, bumper stickers and lawn signs as parting gifts.

----------------

Cool, stuff to make a bonfire with. 2.gif

Cool sounds fun, thanks for the invite. I have been wanting to hear MC-30's and Klispch for some time. Please email me the address. Thanks again for the hospitality! I am looking forward to meeting all you So Cal Klipsch hornies.

----------------

On 5/13/2004 8:32:07 PM AndyKubicki wrote:

What happened to our signatures???

----------------

Andy, are you really serious with this question, or perhaps you missed the many posts about this subject?

If you change your profile's signature, it strips the HTML coding and converts it all to old ASCII. Looks like the pits, huh?

Warning to those that still have HTML coding ... Don't touch or alter your sig in any way!!

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

James, Yep the same place..... or what is left of it. The only AC we are making here that is doing well is the C-17. A mighty fine aircraft if I may say so!

Fini, no, my day job is with tooling inspection. The blacksmithing is a hobby that has gone over the edge. I do it at home, shows, fairs and I teach advanced blacksmithing at a museum in San Diego once a month. If there was any money in it that I could make, I would do it in a heartbeat. The problem is that when you ask $150 for something that has taken you 8 hours to make most of the public reaction is that I can but that at Home Depot for $8.99! While the quality of the cheep item is 1/16th that of the hand made item, it is good enough for most people.

The good money in this game is to work for the real rich people who, even though they couldn't tell the difference, judge quality by the price. The more it costs, the better it must be! I gotta find some of those customers!!2.gif

----------------

On 5/14/2004 9:41:56 AM bclarke421 wrote:

I was thinking it must be a bear to reshoe a 707...

----------------

Ahh a common misconception! A BLACKSMITH is not a FARRIER! A blacksmith is one who works with hot iron and steel to produce objects of usefulness and beauty to be used in the home, farm, ranch and business. Sometimes artists are blacksmiths but not all blacksmiths are artists! Items we produce that you might be familiar with include but are not limited to: Hooks, pokes, rakes nails, jails, gates, fences, grills, fireplace sets, camping tripods, pot holders, pot racks, hangers, hammers, chisels, screwdrivers, wrenches, bolts, knives, axes, froes, anchors, chain, sign posts, tables, chairs, boot scrapers, handrails, banisters, STEREO COMPONET RACKS, and the list goes on. We MIGHT make the occasional horse shoe at a fair or event that the general public goes to because that is what they expect as they have been conditioned by western movies and TV shows that a blacksmith makes and installs horse shoes.

A farrier is an person (male or female) that has learned medicine, bone structure, stance, orthopedics and has the ability to fit shoes to horses, donkeys, mules and other livestock and they sometimes use hot metal to make shoes (but mostly are store bought and are cold fit now). So you see, the two trades do overlap as some blacksmiths do shoe horses etc and some farriers do hot iron work in addition to their day job, but for the most part they are different trades.

This is not meant to be insulting in any way to anyone. The blacksmith shoes horses misconception is widespread and engrained. I am only trying to shine a little light in to the dark recesses of ignorance (not knowing) and folklore.

2.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif