I went. I saw. I drove. I bought.

Saturday afternoon and nothing happening--a beautiful day here on the Southern California coast. I was driving by the local Dodge dealership on the way to Home Depot and noticed the new Hemi-powered Dodge station wagon. I had to take a look. I have always been fond of big, powerful American cars and trucks--you wouldn't think so given my political views and musical tastes I guess! Anyway, I pulled in walked up to the new Dodge Magnum RT Hemi and my jaw hit the ground--this is the best looking new American car I have seen in long, LONG time. I asked for a test drive and away we went! The suspension is amazing--very taught and firm without being harsh at all (it's derived from the Mercedes E-Class). The 5-speed automatic transmission can be shifted manually in an updated version of the old "slap-stick" and the HEMI is awesome! I don't know what the 0-60 time is for this 4000 lb. wagon, but it has to be around six seconds flat.

So I wrote a deposit check and my dark grey Magnum RT HEMI will be here in early to mid July. I'm selling my 2001 3/4 ton Suburban for this one--I was a bit concerned about towing at first, but the Dodge will tow 3800 lbs.!

All of this for less than $30,000. Daimler-Chrysler has hit a home run with this one!

http://www.dodgeboy.net/news/srt8/images/656957391_9126_jpg.jpg' target=_blank>175867.1-lg.jpg029029-E.jpg

I have always liked the look of some of the Chrysler products, but with poor reliability and shoddy workmanship/lack of attention to detail and the horrible resale value I have stayed away. I am sure the same can be said for many GM products as well. It sure looks awesome though I hope it spends more time on the road than in the shop getting things fixed that were not done right in the first place.

----------------

On 5/18/2004 10:35:48 AM Frzninvt wrote:

I have always liked the look of some of the Chrysler products, but with poor reliability and shoddy workmanship/lack of attention to detail and the horrible resale value I have stayed away. I am sure the same can be said for many GM products as well. It sure looks awesome though I hope it spends more time on the road than in the shop getting things fixed that were not done right in the first place.
----------------

I think what you say was right in the 80's and through most of the 90's but over the last few years the build quality and reliability of all US made cars has improved a great deal--I think "the big 3" hold their own against any Euro maker these days in terms of reliability but still have some way to go when compared with Toytoa/Lexus for instance.

I owned a 1996 Tahoe and currently own a 2001 Suburban and between the two I drove nearly 280,000 trouble-free miles. ZERO breakdowns and ZERO unscheduled work/repair. My business partner drives BMWs (5 and 7 series) and they have really shoddy repair records.

Allan

I think I read somewhere that at this present time, your car is the safest on the road. I would like one but my wife does not like it for some reason.

Frozen, you are wrong about the Chrysler of today. Every Chrysler I have owned since the late 80's have searved me well into the 200K mile range with minimum maintance costs and breakdowns.

JM

Awesome ride! I am a big fan of the "large V-8, rear wheel drive, 4 door sporty cruiser" but it has been a while since one has been on the market -- with the last one being the '96-98 Impala SS.

You might could fit some Klipschorns in the back of that wagon.

The Hemi powered 300s look awsome! Too bad I'm not in the market.

You could also go with the ultimate sleeper, the Subaru Forester 2.5 turbo. Safest small SUV on the road, and it will do 0-60 in under 5 seconds. Listed at 230hp, but the 1/4 time points to closer to 300hp. Same engine as the WRX STi.

----------------

On 5/18/2004 12:10:59 PM kenratboy wrote:

Chrysler has been showering me with 300C stuff for months. I am drooling over it. They need to steal and install the Mercedes 4Matic system for the cars and we will have a $40k Audi killer
9.gif

----------------

I think what you say was right in the 80's and through most of the 90's but over the last few years the build quality and reliability of all US made cars has improved a great deal--I think "the big 3" hold their own against any Euro maker these days in terms of reliability but still have some way to go when compared with Toytoa/Lexus for instance.

----------------

Isn't that about the same time Mercedes bought Chrysler.

----------------

On 5/18/2004 12:14:57 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Four adults no probelm. Two adults and three kids maybe?

"<a
http://a904.g.akamai.net/7/904/506/v0011/images.autobytel.com/Web/Carpics/NCTD/05-magnum-interior-2.jpg">

----------------

That's what roof racks are for.11.gif2.gif

Nice car Allan, looks like it will handle your Airstream too, eh?

The Mercedes influence is being seen in the Chrysler cars. The interior of a Crossfire has a lot of similarities to Mercedes cars, which have their own similarities, common instruments, switches etc.

Motor Trend: Usually you dont want to be in a crossfire. Now you do. The new two-seat Crossfire is Chrysler's first modern sports car. The first result of synergy between DaimlerChrysler and Mercedes-Benz, the Crossfire is based on the Mercedes SLK platform, powered by the German 215-horse V-6 and built by Karmann in Germany. Style, however, is pure American...

The Scoop at Chrysler Group

Daimler Chrysler Press Releases

New 2005 Dodge Magnum Most Powerful Vehicle Under $30,000

Auburn Hills, Mich., Jan 5, 2004- Chrysler Group today announced U.S. pricing for its all-new 2005 Dodge Magnum. Dodge Magnum offers flexibility and versatility with proportions unlike any other vehicle in the market place.

Dodge Magnum RT provides unmatched performance with the 340 horsepower, 390 foot-pound HEMI V-8 engine mated to an electronically controlled five-speed automatic transmission with AutoStick®. All Dodge Magnum RT models feature 18-inch polished aluminum wheels, dual exhaust, large performance disc brakes, fog lamps, exterior chrome accents, leather seats, and Boston Acoustic Premium Sound System with six-speaker 288-watt digital amplifier. This vehicle also features 3,800 pound towing capability when properly equipped.

The 2005 Dodge Magnum RT will feature cylinder deactivation when it goes on sale in the spring of 2004. The Chrysler Group Multi Displacement System (MDS) seamlessly turns off the fuel consumption in four cylinders of the 5.7-liter HEMI engine when V-8 power is not needed. This provides a world class combination of performance and fuel economy.

All Dodge Magnum vehicles feature a short-long arm (SLA) front suspension system combined with a five-link independent rear suspension to provide excellent handling and a comfortable ride.

Dodge Magnum is built at the Company's Brampton, Ont. (Canada) manufacturing plant along with the all-new Chrysler 300 Series.

That's an awesome toy! Let's just hope there's reasonably priced fuel to put in it at least for a few more years. I don't think it will be too much longer before 20 hp becomes the standard for vehicles, and we'll just have to be thankful we're not walking 40 miles a day to get our chores done.

Hey Allan, I thought youz lefties only drove old Saabs and Volvos!

Gee, a klipsch man drivin' a big V8 hemi Dodge - there may be hope for you yet! Next thing we know, you'll be seen with a nice Bush/Cheney sticker on the rear window. 9.gif

Congrats - Nice wheels!

jdm---I'm probably a Hell of lot more Lefty than Allan (being a retired Trade Unionist and Union officer I was out everyday dealing where the rubber of Liberalism meets the Capitalist road) and I've usually driven big, V-8, American, Union-made cars. Well my latest is made in Ontario by CUAW workers but that's legit. They're Union workers and they sure as Hell ain't undercutting American wages.

I did own some small American cars. Had a real neat bright yellow 2001 Focus Street Edition. Car was a blast but I got tired of it. And I bought my daughter a new Focus too, bright red. You gotta watch Focii though; some are made in Michigan and some in Mexico.

I haven't bought a foreign-made car in over 15 years. I try to buy American whenever I can--I just hate the idea of helping support off-shore slave labor--I think we're selling ourselves down the river for the right to buy $49 DVD players and $12 pairs of pants. It's a really dangerous cycle--SURE we have cheap prices but with good-paying union jobs dwindling very few can afford to buy anything BUT these cheap Chinese slave-labor products. All of the folks who work for me are Union memebers and the rate of pay is between $17.40 and $24.60 per hour with full benefits. I negoitiate HARD with the Union every three years and will ask for some health-benefit changes this time around, but I sleep very well at night knowing that everyone who works for me is paid a fair wage for an honest day's work and has enough money in thier pocket to keep the economy churning.

As that great bumper-sticker I saw a few months ago stated:

"Where are we going? And why am I in this hand-basket?"