Commercials Too Loud!! Anyone know about a volume regulator.

richierich

When I am watching TV and I switch channels the volume is different and I have to adjust the volume manually because one stations broadcast is louder than others. Also, if I switch to my Yamaha CDR-HD1300 CD Jukebox the volume has to be turned down. Does anyone know of a volume regulator that will regulate the volume of several different inputs both digital and analog? How do you guys handle this situation? Is turning down the volume manually the only way to effectively acheive the same amount of volume between stations?

I hate to be a wise *** but don't you have a remote control? I have the same issues with my Sat Dish Rcvr but that is why I keep the remote handy, a couple of presses of the button and the issue is taken care off.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

We don't know what equipment you have and whether you are using the TV's Volume or you Surround Sound Receiver's Voulme.

There is probably Dynamic Range Compression (may be called DRC, or many other things including "Night Mode") on your receiver that would keep that from happening. A lot of TVs have this function as well. I wouldn't recommend using it, though, because it alters the sound. I have found that you get kind of an echoey sound as well.

So, in other words, No, turning the volume down manually is not the only way, but it is the Best Way.

----------------

On 6/3/2004 7:04:28 AM richierich wrote:

When I am watching TV and I switch channels the volume is different and I have to adjust the volume manually because one stations broadcast is louder than others. Also, if I switch to my Yamaha CDR-HD1300 CD Jukebox the volume has to be turned down. Does anyone know of a volume regulator that will regulate the volume of several different inputs both digital and analog? How do you guys handle this situation? Is turning down the volume manually the only way to effectively acheive the same amount of volume between stations?

----------------

Hey ritchie,

Go to www.terk.com. They have a device that i guess kind of copies the smart sound concept of some tv sets. This might give you the results that you are looking for.

----------------

On 6/3/2004 7:04:28 AM richierich wrote:

----------------

I have been known to use some adapters and send the stereo out from my TV through an inexpensive 2-channel compressor (typically a dBx 1138 or similar) set to a hard limiting at right around -15dB (5 decibels below the nominal -10dbu output of the RCA jacks) - this takes care of most of that problem.

BTW, it is a common misconception that commercials are turned up at the TV station to reach you louder. They are usually recorded a lot better than programming on TV, so the dynamics are better and what you get is a perceived "Wow, did they crank that or what!?!" lol

Trust me, if they could turn it up and get a larger signal boost to more homes in their circle of covereage, they would do that too. Sad though, they might have a great signal and have your local cable providor, and not have it NSYNC with the equipment to get it to you too.

Actually, the dynamics are NOT better per se... they are actually far narrower than TV programming for those commercials that seem too loud. However, they are really not louder, because the FDA regulates the max dynamic range of the signals. What they do to make the commercials seem louder, is decrease the dynamic range by up-equalizing all frequencies closer to the limit. Thus, due to the summation by the brain, we perceive the commercial to be louder, even though the peak levels are the same... it's just that the average is much higher.

FDA regulates the max dynamic range of the signals.

Sorry.... but oh come on.. If you can find this fact I will retract my statement. I worked at three TV stations throughout college... In the master control room, voice over booths, production, mix downs, too. I have never heard nor seen anything like your statement. Maybe we wish they would, but I highly doubt this is true.

I have also been voice over talent, while your semi true... We EQ voice overs and content to "jump out" again, I have NEVER heard of a law of what you can and cannot do creative wise. Can you even imagine a law (Well your bank add had too much boost in the allowed 200 htz band... the penalty is..Death!! ) geeze give us a break!

Your other statement that commercials "are actually far narrower than TV programming for those commercials that seem too loud." is just false as well. Commercials are far superior dynamics wise than regular programming. If they were far narrower, dynamics wise, you would perceive them as dull and lifeless and feel / hear them like they were at lower levels too. Just the opposite of your argument.

Now regulate the amplification of the tower signal, yes they do. I think your "stretching it" some though.

At one of the stations I worked at, I actually helped an engineer (working on his Master's degree, as he wrote a paper for a college class he was taking. There is a max modulation for all audio, and most (but not all) commercials use massive compression to give the audible impression of being louder. They then have less dynamic range. The same is done in most studios for specific instruments when they are recorded, so they can be heard in the mix. Piano and bass the two most common. The compression helps (depends on point of view certainly) even out poor playing and how certain frequencies tend to sound like they drop out.

Regular programs have more dynamic range to sound more lifelike and natural. Record some programming onto equip. with good VU meters and you cn readily see the difference. Or pull the audio into a good wav editing program.

FCC regulations govern what can be done:

PART 73_RADIO BROADCAST SERVICES--Table of Contents

Subpart H_Rules Applicable to All Broadcast Stations

Sec. 73.1570 Modulation levels: AM, FM, TV and Class A TV aural.

This covers modulation levels for broadcast. The regs are pretty deep and hard to find all the detail. It is pretty well known that much contemporary music is mixed hot, with a lot of compression so that the song sounds 'louder' to those hearing it. 'Louder' sells more songs. The same goes for commercials.

Marvel

Marvel.... recorded music, and or voices...using compression.. of course true. To hit a button when the comercials are sent out was my argument. All of your arguments are valid and good reasons to use compression. (more of a dynamic range expander, compression, and limiter amoung other inside tricks.) My point was, in the sending out of that commercial to the airwaves, verses regular content, like a secret button to push to make the commercial louder... is absurd. Or that the government would regulate again a certain range as unacceptable. Why stop at commercials too? Can you imagine any great action movie.. **Warning** This content has been recorded to seem louder on your system at home than with normal broadcasts. Please be aware the monster in scene 3 has a loud roar!!!

I am sure this would be a high paying job too.. to physically press the commercial button at the appropriate time!!

Sorry to get off topic...

I have a volume regulator that I used to used through the tape loop

out put of tape into the unit, and out put of the unit back into the tape in

has an adjustable level on it to compress/limit volume.

I do not have the unit in front of me right now but will check when I get home from work.

I am willing to sell this for a very resonable price ( to be determined ).

I will post the details of the unit later on today or tommorrow morning.

FM transmitters use phase modulation which is sensitive to amplitude input. So with a typical movie sound track with huge gaps between sound information thing sound OK. Then the commercial hits with "0" dynamic range and continuous sound information driving the transmitter into the red hot mode (more power in the sidebands)and everything sounds loud even though the driving levels are legal. This also gives the transmitters about 3 db more range in the viewing area.

JJK

I read through the FCC pages.. For some reason it will not copy and paste here... I could not find anything to the point you make.

As far as your quote, "It is pretty well known that much contemporary music is mixed hot, with a lot of compression so that the song sounds 'louder' to those hearing it. 'Louder' sells more songs. The same goes for commercials."

Were on the same page exactly.