NOSValves

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Craig,

First off - congrats - a very professional looking job!

Couple of questions:

1. How about a version for Europe - 230-250V AC? (I will be happy to test them out for you of course - just to make sure it all works!!)

2. I see it takes the gamut of tubes - which ones did you design them for initially? - the KT88's? (asked as you once asked me which tubes mine were originally designed for as that indicates which they would sound best with).

3. How big is the power supply on the amps?

4. When rolling power tubes (KT88's for EL34's for example) have you tried different driver tubes? Do you have recommendations for changing these out at the same time - or are the current set a match for anything?

Hmmm - rather more than a couple - and I havent got onto the building under licence in other parts of the world stuff yet. Well, if you are interested shoot me an email....

Talk about hearting a dude. My current 2 channel system relies on the incredible, soon to have Dean crossovers, 1979 Walnut Cornwalls. After your dissapointment on these not being good enough for your VRD's at the Indy showing, I'm not sure I want to put your walnut wanana bees beside my time proven Cornwalls. 9.gif

Better than Heresys, come on man you really need to get down here to Florida and hear my set up. I think the cold is getting to you. Check the air filtration in your basement and get some heat ready for this winter.

Gary, Jt1stcav, are you out there? We just got slammed. I think Gary needs to show them the light this weekend.

Bill, y'all get slammed every time you turn the tubes on with Cornwalls!2.gif They definitely have a commanding bass presence that takes me back to college days, when the loudest stereo in the dorm was the best stereo.11.gif With the Shorthorns being the genesis of the Cornwalls, PWK definitely got a rock n roll speaker right on the second go around.10.gif

----------------

On 6/10/2004 6:31:15 AM tillmbil wrote:

Talk about hearting a dude. My current 2 channel system relies on the incredible, soon to have Dean crossovers, 1979 Walnut Cornwalls. After your dissapointment on these not being good enough for your VRD's at the Indy showing, I'm not sure I want to put your walnut wanana bees beside my time proven Cornwalls.
9.gif

Better than Heresys, come on man you really need to get down here to Florida and hear my set up. I think the cold is getting to you. Check the air filtration in your basement and get some heat ready for this winter.

Gary, Jt1stcav, are you out there? We just got slammed. I think Gary needs to show them the light this weekend.
----------------

Bill,

Geezz man relax ! I'm a big Heritage guy (In more ways then one 2.gif) give me Lascala's, Bell's or Khorns. Nothing wrong with Cornwall's there just not my ultimate preference. Me loves horn loaded bass ! Heresy are fine speaker but hardly what I would prefer to show off the excellent bass production of my amps.

Craig

Max,

1) It could be done but would require a new power transformer. I really hadn't even given it a thought silly me !

2) The amps are optimised for KT88's and this is my personal favorite, second would be KT66 then 6L6 types I've personally never cared much for EL34's but they do work just fine.

3) Not sure what you mean by how big the power supply is ? The PS transformer is rated at 200+ MA and runs much cooler then the Dynaco Mark III PST, The B+ has 600 UF and a 10H 200 MA choke, The Bias supply has another 400uF. Lots of reserve all around.

4) It is possible to change to different driver tubes but I have yet to completely test these things out. I have done some testing, the circuit now uses a 12AX7 driver and 12AU7 phase splitter with adjustable AC balance. A 12BH7 and ECC99 phase splitter have both proven to work fine under limited testing. I also tried a few 12AX7 variants and they all seemed to work fine but again the tests were very limited. No change is require in the driver tubes to run any of the EL34 through KT90 tube pin out variants just bias changes. I also changed the bias control to a Multi turn to make bias adjustment much less of a hassle.

Craig

----------------

On 6/9/2004 9:01:06 PM Dflip wrote:

2nd attempt.

These look great, Craig. The walnut with tung oil gives it a really classy look.

$2500 US is equal to almost $3400 Cdn and $2700 is $3671.20 for those of us in the Great White North.

Those of you going to Indy, please forward along your reviews. I am sure those of us not fortunate enough to go will still enjoy the pictures and comments. Is Mark going to bring along his Cherry for a demonstration? Nowhere better than before so many Klipsch experts. I will await the comments after the weekend. I will be finishing the final comments on report cards and entering last minute assignments.

Have a great weekend.
----------------

Dflip,

Just imagine what it would of cost a few years ago the exchange rate is pretty low these days. Wasn't all that long ago it was near 50 cents on the dollar. Wish I could do something about it I sure love Canada !

Craig

"3) Not sure what you mean by how big the power supply is ?"

Just in watts really - handling of sudden demands on the amp and all that. Its the main bragging rights I got with my amp - 1 KW power supply, which I usually quote whilst puffing out my chest and looking important.

That and the weight of the damn thing!

Just imagine what it would of cost a few years ago the exchange rate is pretty low these days. Wasn't all that long ago it was near 50 cents on the dollar. Wish I could do something about it I sure love Canada !

-----------------

I think when I bought the LK-72 off you, the rate was 1.54 Cdn dollars for every US. That would put the amp at $3850 - 4154. Now that is an expensive amp. It is a better deal now.

I am just in the process of getting a new air conditioner. Mine died two nights ago, 17 years old and the compressor gave up the ghost. It will cost me about the price of one amp. Oh well

The amps look great and am waiting to hear the reviews.

Don

Hmm,

Methinks if one had an amp that did excellent bass reproduction, he would be inclined to show it off on a Heresy which so many claim has no bass. Some of us know it can do quite well in the bass area provided room acoustics are taken into account.

An AM-FM radio can drive a Klipschorn and reproduce excellent bass - just look at everyone using 1.5 watt amps to drive them. That isn't a test for high-powered amps; I mean a Heresy goes down to 63 and a La Scala hits 53, both at +- 3. Great bass reproduction should shine through on the Heresy and would be more impressive.

Bang! Bang!

I mean a Heresy goes down to 63 and a La Scala hits 53, both at +- 3. Great bass reproduction should shine through on the Heresy and would be more impressive.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anarchist;

Speakers reproducing music is not like CD upsampling.

Speakers cannot create music that they do not reproduce the hz for.

CD upsampling creates the 24 bit "word" and the frequency.

I do not have the data but listening tells me the slope of the fall off under 80 hz is much greater with Hereseys.

My subjectivity may be to the point of delusion; but I can conceptualize usable bass under 45 hz with LaScalas.

Industrial version may even be better.

audio,

good post. subjectivity is the most important word in audio.

i would like to see the slopes myself. i don't believe they fall off sharply at 80. of course, my listening experience is based on them in my house on my carpet over wood floor. i have hooked up a sub to 'see' the difference in bass and honestly it did not add very much. when a drummer hits the bass drum, (with sufficient volume)it is felt sharp and clear across the room with these Heresies. bass guitar is very impressive through these speakers.

i do have KSP400s in the other room. there is a clear difference with two 15 inch subs pounding the room but we are talking real low. the majority of the public wouldn't even realize these lower frequencies exist. i can play "See you in hell" by Grim Reaper, which has an incredible intro with the bass and drums pounding away and the Heresies handle it very well. they certainly aren't a stack of Marshalls but...

my point in reference to craigs post is achieving great bass through klipschorns is no remarkable achievement - no disrespect or criticalness intended craig; achieving great bass through speakers not known for it would be a much greater demonstration of his amps remarkability. we already know they are damn fine looking amps.

Kinda like stuffing a big block in a Pinto and watching the frame twist when you get on it?

I'd have to disagree with your theory. The Klipschorn would provide the truest sense of what the amps capabilities are. If you want to know how they'll sound with inferior (albeit less inferior than many others) speakers, then by all means bust out the model H.

BTW, I have heard crappy bass reproduction through Khorns. Getting the bass right takes quality upstream components. Even subtle differences in quality are easily apparent.

"However, IMO, "it ain't the watts, it's the Joules" that count for music (you are not welding) and you have (if I recall) about 50 Joules in there (J=1/2 (E^2)*Farads)."

Shoot! I have almost that much power in my chest waiting to zap me. Get a real power supply!6.gif9.gif

Rick

Mark,

Joules are more important than watts?

Something else that dont mean anything to me in this hobby.

According to the web page (http://www.tsakiridis-devices.com/Powerhouse.htm) it has 200 joules - 100 per channel.

I assume that is better than the 50 you assumed (get the feeling there are too many asumptions floating round??).

Come to that what does "Total capacity of 1000muf per channel (United Chemicon)" mean in audio terms? - Good, typical, average, less than I would have thought - good heavens how did he do that?.

All I know is that all the numbers are about double the previous numbers with my old Tsakiridis amps - which were not as good sonically as these....

Craig,

when you build a European version let me know and I will have a grand shoot out with the 2. Of course it is not really a fair comparison pricewise - mine is about half the price of yours....