Who owns PP and why?

tubelover

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a push/pull tube amp (Antique Sound Lab AQ1003DT) simply because it sounded/(and still sounds ) damned good to me.

That said I see no reason to dismiss the possibility of a SET amp given the reviews of various well respected members who rave about that topology.

I have no idea why I own a push-pull tube amp. I should have bought a nice receiver.

I suppose it's because they have some of the down low whack of solid state, without the sometimes etched out top end. I think they image better too.

If you are thinking of terms as compared to SET, then the answer is simply related to dynamics. I think they sound livelier, bolder, and more controlled -- at least with my music and all that blah blah blah.

Hello:

Not enough knowledge of SET and not enough $$ to do so at this point.

Some say SET does not sound as good - a friend built his own and they sounded very good to me.

Probably there is something to the fact that SET is more of a mystery as far as knowledge, dynamic output, etc..

There is the fascination with more power going to the point of using 200 watt amps on Klipsch. OVERKILL

Win dodger

Built my own PP for my Khorns. Having them run only on SS previously (Carver) I now realize how good these sound with only 10 WPC, direct feed from an SACD. WOW -- great sounstage and nice bottom.

Haven't tried SET yet..........pretty happy with what I hear now.

----------------

On 6/21/2004 11:47:41 PM tubelover wrote:

I currently own Dynaco monoblocs

----------------

Which ones ? the Mark III's or II's

Any mods to speak of ? Post us a picture , i'd love to see them .

My dynaco mark III's were a wonderfull introduction into the tube world now it's time to venture into SET and compare with my own ears.

Neet thing is i'll be able to A/B test both PP & SET in the same room at the same time on seperate pairs of klipschorns . Should prove intresting

2.gif

CRAIG : I left those valve art's in so they can season a bit , other then that i still have the svetlana's that you sent.

I had a quad of GEC i bought off e-bay but they were weaker then the seller have told me so i pawned them off on someone else :)

Besides the kt-88's , i have a ton of 12BH7 and 12AU7 from bugle boys to mullards ( i find the old tung sol 12AU7A is a great tube ) , i'm still hunting for a half decent deal on a pair of mullard rectifiers but i can't stand the 125 or so usd price tag there fetching right now .

I own a SET, at least...I think I do. I don't know anymore, it's been since Nov. of last year and I still don't have the damn thing.7.gif

But I'm borrowing my bro's 2-3 watt Magnavox 6BQ5/EL84 SE power amp, and it's silky smooth, not that his Dared VP-16 6V6 PP isn't any slouch. If I had more time auditioning it, who knows what I would've prefered more.

It doesn't matter to me...PP or SE, they both sound better than SS to me, and I could easily live with either one!2.gif

I own PP too (well Ultra-linear) with 70 wpc. Sounds nice and that is why I own it.

Simple as that really - no brain surgery. Have never got to hear what people would regard as a good SET amp - but I do not regard the amp as a weakness of my system so it is not a burning need.

I have played with various SS amps - culminating in an Accuphase E211 - which has a very good reputation over here. For me the PP amps that I had before this one stomped all over it with JJ Electronics KT88's. As my newer amps stomp all over my older ones I cant see SS amplification in my future either.

----------------

On 6/22/2004 11:49:52 PM AK-4 wrote:

Yeah, but have you ever heard really GOOD solid state before?
:)

----------------

Ever buy any really GOOD solid state before ?

And by that i don't just mean ss that will drive klipsch speakers , check out some of the bigger krell or classe audio or levinson gear that can handle 84db speaker at 4ohms !!

You could buy yourself a decent car for the price of a few of these offerings . There is quality ss stuff out there that sounds great with klipsch but the GOOD GOOD stuff was and or is not designed for the loads seen by lets say khorns for example. They are more after providing power hungry B&W 's or a 4ohm load from the new maggies .

There true worth would be lost on a khorn .

I have mid-power PP (Dynaco mkIV), SS (McIntosh) and my current favorite DHT PP (2A3 JFL).

I would not deny EVER that SET has great sound.

I decided on a DHT PP only after auditioning various SET amps in my system and deciding they did not have quite enough power for me. The current DHT PP amp makes about 13 watts downwind and gives me all I need (even when listening to Rage Against the Machine at ear splitting volumes).

I suggest that anyone who wants to decide and post something about "the SET issue" actually listen to some SET amps in thier system and post the results/opinions based on that. Hopefully in a system amenable to SET amps (read VERY high efficiency) I tire of people chiming in about theoretical comparisons and SETs shortcomings without having done the groundwork.

regards, tony