What's Your Favorite Soundtrack

thebes

Slightly different from Wild bill's thread and something both the music and movie lovers down here can enjoy.

You know, hated the movie, loved the music; loved the movie; loved the music so you had to buy the cd.

I'll start the ball rolling with four:

Animal House

Frida

Kansas City

Masked and Anonymous (Bob Dylan's 2003 flic with four songs performed by him and a dozen other of his songs sung by others)

Good topic.

Dazed and Confused; really good classic rock selection

Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and ****** (both Guy Ritchie films); really eclectic track selection but a lot of fun to listen to

Blade Runner; a good score by Vangelis

The Lost in Translation soundtrack is pretty good too, got some good lo-fi rock and chillout tracks

Pulp Fiction- has some pretty cool songs

End of Days- has some good "one off" originals by bands I like

The Matrix- has some good beats

Queen of the Damned- wish it had more of the music from the movie.

All of the songs by Jonathan Davis were not included on the soundtrack

I really like Lock,Stock (already mentioned)

All 3 lord of the rings movies (more of a Score than a soundtrack I suppose)

I like the Highlander soundtrack by Queen.

The Musical Score from Brom Stoker's Dracula by Wojeck Kilar is good too

"The Crow" is probably my favorite.

I have to say "The Committments" (1992). It's one of my favorite movies, and has a fantastic soundtrack. If you haven't seen it, rent it immediately, as it is surely one of the best movies ever with a musical theme. It's about a group of out-of-work Dubliners who form a soul/R&B band. It's by the same director/writer who did "The Van" and "The Snapper." It is a "feel good" comedy that may remind you of "The Full Monty" (which also has a great soundtrack, by the way). It has been recently re-released with DD5.1 soundtrack. There are two soundtrack CDs (Vols. 1 and 2). A surprise on the CDs is that several numbers are sung by the actor who played the band's manager, who never sang in the movie.

LOTR 3 CD collection, Master & Commander, and thinking about getting the Desperado & ...Mexico soundtracks (if they exist)after watching those flicks over the weekend. I thought while watching them and going ga-ga over Salma Hayek that "You know, the music has been pretty darn good in both of these."

For me, the best melding of the flic and the music was Body Heat with music by John Barry.

The original sound track is a collector's item but there is a very good "cover" CD available at normal prices.

I'm a big fan of John Barry and did not know it at first. I'd like the music used in a movie and would hunt CD in the sound track bin.

E.g. James Bond films had music by John Barry. Lion in Winter . . . John Barry again. Dances with Wolves . . . John Barry yet again? Out of Africa . . . John Barry. Body Heat . . . John Barry. A pattern was forming.

There was even some very good music for an I-Max 3-D where a young lad looked at stereo opticons and compared them to present life. The credits showed, of course, John Barry.

Smile,

Gil

Vampyros Lesbos-Vampires' Sound Incorporation(without a doubt my favorite)

Baraka-Michael Stearns & Various

Chronos-Michael Stearns

Mulholland Drive-Angelo Badalamenti

Twin Peaks-Angelo Badalamenti

Blade Runner & Antarctica-Vangelis

Body Love-Klaus Schulze

Solaris-Cliff Martinez

It's pretty hard to beat Isaac Hayes's original Shaft recordings: it typifies the sound of a generation and, frankly, sounds really cool pushed through my old Klipsch Cornwalls. Of yeah, it "works well" for the wife -- which pleases me to no end!

"Long live Isaac Hayes."

"Yes! All hail Isaac Hayes!"

• 2 weeks later...