False corners screwed into K horns?

Dean:

Not sure how much abuse the plywood gets, but there are textured wallpapers out there that can be painted. The wood needs to be sized (a thin white liquid that dries clear) and then the paper is applied. It can then be painted over using whatever colour of latex you want with the amount of gloss you want.

I don't know if it is practical or not, but it is a possibility.

Don

----------------

On 7/23/2004 9:12:02 AM richinlr wrote:

Unless the false corner is extended to some point BEYOND the enclosure, the low frequency cut-off is going to increase quite a bit (100 Hz is not unreasonable) due to the resulting effective mouth size and tight flare at that point (sound wave is still relatively high in pressure due to the lack of flare).

----------------

In the Dope from Hope, PWK suggests false corners that are 4'8" in total length. He uses 3/4" plywood braced by 2x4s and then another sheet of plywood on the back. i don't think making the false corners longer would be a bad thing though...

Corner loading a Khorn provides 1/8th space which means that the horn louth is 1/8th the size of the theoretical horn if free standing (i.e., 8 times as large).

When the Khorn is free-standing, it now has a mouth 8 times too small for the space even with the added side walls. Or the horn length can be figured as being 8 times too short, resulting in a much higher Fc for the horn.

That is why PWK figured on at least an extension beyond the mouth of a couple of feet each side.

The best purpose of using attached side panels to complete the horn would be in a wall position that lacks a corner. The side panel can then make up for the missing half of the corner to enlarge the "mouth" a bit.

For free-standing purposes, a false corner should be built and the Khorn placed in it.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 7/23/2004 5:24:59 PM richinlr wrote:

And that's why I really can't use K-horns in my room - no valid (read big) corners and I would really hate to have them and not be able to get full performance. Things like that drive me nuts...

----------------

Yes, an improperly placed Klipshchorn may only deliver 85% to 90% of it's potential. But that's 85% to 90% of heaven. I would never say no to a slice of heaven.12.gif

Well....

90-95% of full performance CERTAINLY gives a reason to seriously consider K-horns in my room. I could definitely enjoy that kind of 'slice of heaven'!

At this kind of percentage, there are enough other acoustical factors in any listening room to gain or loose at least 15%. Further reason to give this a serious look...

Ah, can't we all figure out a way to justify things...

So, esteemed forum members with K-horns, do you think that I could obtain reasonable performance with proper false corners in a 20 x 20 room with cathedral ceilings (peak of cathedral ceiling is 12 feet above floor)? 3.gif

----------------

On 7/24/2004 7:29:17 AM richinlr wrote:

So, esteemed forum members with K-horns, do you think that I could obtain reasonable performance with proper false corners in a 20 x 20 room with cathedral ceilings (peak of cathedral ceiling is 12 feet above floor)?
3.gif

----------------

Go for it. My Klipschorns haven't even been properly sealed into the corners and I'm stunned at the sound. 3.gif

Thanks for the info. This looks like something toward which I should aspire. Unfortunately I can't get serious right now because after my expenditure on some basic HT, my wife is now saying that decorating our house is the next thing on the agenda...

----------------

On 7/25/2004 10:56:27 AM richinlr wrote:

my wife is now saying that decorating our house is the next thing on the agenda...

----------------

You could explain to her that it is easier to decorate around existing Klipschorns in place than to change everything later and have her initial work wasted. At the least, don't let her buy any big corner cabinets.

----------------

On 7/25/2004 11:04:25 AM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

On 7/25/2004 10:56:27 AM richinlr wrote:

my wife is now saying that decorating our house is the next thing on the agenda...

----------------

You could explain to her that it is easier to decorate around existing Klipschorns in place than to change everything later and have her initial work wasted. At the least, don't let her buy any big corner cabinets.

----------------

Paul,

You have got a great mind. In terms of working the WAF, I hadn't ever imagined that angle. "Honey, if we get the Khorns, it will be a great courtesy to your sense for decorating and eye for composition, etc... We want to enjoy every part of your work and not have to rearrange things later to accomodate the Khorns." SmooootH! 11.gif12.gif

----------------

...I would suggest painting the false corners white. I have seen photos and the white ones always seem to semi dissappear or at least look less intrusive in white.

----------------

I would suggest exactly matching the current wall color, and then I think it really will almost disappear. Bare naked white stands out too much if the wall is only an off-white.

You want the bass horn to produce all the way down to "32.7", because that's where the lowest organ tones go and the lowest string bass notes come very close to it.

4 inches less than "recommended" length has the technical result of less than 1/2" difference in total overall expansion. That is 1/2 of the overall height x 2, or 37 square inches out of over 375 sq. inches of area that is "missing".

This difference is not hearable. Don't worry about it.

DM2.gif

• 3 weeks later...