Fisher vs Scott tuner

jhawk92

Ok, here's a question for you tuner fans out there. I've been thinking about getting a tuner for my 2-ch system. I have been looking at the Scot 350B, to match up with my 299B. But how do Fisher tuners compare, specifically the FM-100C? I'm not looking to spend big bucks like the Scott 4310 or some of the Marantz units, but I would like a bit of advice. Thanks.

Fisher had a reputation for making excellent radios, second only to Mac and Marantz and some Fisher fans don't accept that Macs and Marantz were better.

Other than that I can't say except that my old Fisher 500B receiver has a very good radio but no better than that in my Denon receiver. I reckon I should consider myself lucky that the old thing works at all.

You should inquire at the vintage forum at www.audioasylum.com

Some very astute fellas hang out there.

I can't comment on the Fisher, but I have a Scott LT-110 which is a kit version of one of the Scott tuners. From research and checking in with Foster Blair, fjblair@comcast.net ,who sells and refurbishes Scott tuners, that for the money it was a very good deal. It may not be a Marantz 8B, but it pulls in the stations very well when it has been properly tuned. I use a 9' yagi antenna on the roof to pull in stations because I live in a slight hollow and reception in the basement is awful without it. With the yagi, I can pull in stations from 40-50 miles away that are crystal clear. It cost me about $150 for the tuner which is dirt cheap for a good tuner. I have seen Fisher tuners in Toronto for a lot more money, around $500 CDN. You can determine if you want to spend the extra.

Just me two cents worth.

Don

The Scott's I have heard seem excellent (although I can't say I looked at them critically). I am a fan of my fisher 400 tuner portion of my reciever. It's ability to handle weak signals continues to impress and I am a big fan of the stereo beam tuning assistance.

My buddie Dan has a Mitsubishi SS tuner from around '85.

The thing looks like a 100 watt SS amp with a tuner face.

IMO, it leaves the vintage tube tuners in the dust.

I had a cheaper newer Mitsubishi tuner, it did pretty damn good, really.

I realize some want the all tube compliment, but a good quality SS tuner is pretty much superior to a tube tuner.

Not to mention trying to dial in a old tube unit, with the intermediate transformers, the little chokes. It takes a little bench knowledge to do.

You can just throw the SS tuner away in this case.

JMHO.

My Scott LT-110B is sounding very good now that I have had it aligned. This next statement will probably sound crazy coming from me 2.gif I still prefer my Pioneer TX-9500-II for its ability to pull in weak stations much better then any tube tuner I have tried here so far. It is in the shop for a few mods and a alignment once it returns I will be able to judge the sound difference side by side.

Craig

----------------

On 7/6/2004 12:39:28 AM Piranha wrote:

Is that why the term Super Tuner originated?

----------------

You talking about the Pioneer head units for automobiles? Those are the only types I've seen "super tuner" written on. The one I bought for my car five years ago is a super tuner III, it has excellent reception. Pioneer always made good tuners and receivers.

TS

I have a Scott 350B tuner and use it with both my 222 and 299 integrateds. It sounds great, pulls in the stations and holds them all weekend long with no adjusting. I am just using a cheap dipole antenna.

I can't compare to other vintage tube tuners, but the 350B is pretty nice. One good feature is that it has indpendent output adjustments for each channel for balancing into the amp.

Hiya,

I have a Sansui TU-717 tuner unmodified that I got off Audigon recently for $300 mint,it's a wonderful tuner and I'm using it with a Fisher 400 (X) tube receiver that's a Bizzy Bee modified Fisher 400 tube receiver. I'm using the Sansui TU-717 with a APS 9B yagi type roof mounted antenna and when switching between the Fisher 400X tuner and the Sansui TU- 717 tuner the sound difference is very small,the sansui sounds a little sharper. I'm using the Sansui because it's more sensitive to weak stations than the Fisher and pulls in my narrow band public radio station better.

Before the Sansui TU 717 I was using a unmodified Kenwood KT 8005 and sold it to get the more sensitive Sansui.

I noticed today there is a very nice Sansui TU 717 for $275 on Audigon. Go to www.tunerinfo.com for more info on the Sansui.

Cheers,

Robert

All-

Thanks for all the replies and info. I got into the idea of getting a tuner after listening to my Dad's Fisher 400 over here for a while.

Don-

Thanks for sending along Foster's info. I sent him an email, so we'll see what he has to say.

Kudret-

Yes, I hear that the 310E is a pretty nice unit, second only to the 4310, but I think that may be more $$ than I am willing to spend.

Mark-

Thanks for support on the 350B. It's a pretty sharp looking unit and would certainly go well with my 299B. Do you have a hard time locating stations with that dial, or is it pretty easy? I thought it might be a bit harder than with a "linear" tuner like something on the Fishers or SS tuners.

Robert-

Thanks for the heads-up on the Sansui. Sounds like it's a pretty good unit too, and looks like it includes AM as well. The writeup over on tunerinfo.com is pretty good. I would also be interested in your thoughts on the 400X. The stock 400 sounds pretty good for sure, but wonder how it compares to Paul's "hot rod." I understand he is no longer doing those mods, concentrating on new gear.

J,

I haven't had the tuner aligned, but the stations come in on the dial where they are supposed to be. Not hard at all to tune with the dial because there is a tuning / signal strength indicator to show when a particular station is dialed in as best it can be.