Why do some amps go up for sale frequently

Some people do little research of there own and get talked into buying something ( from otheres that know even less ) that just can't or won't do the job there after .

The amp is just one component in the chain , if it is a poor match for the rest then your sure to be disappointed . Thats not to say it's the amps fault .

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 7/20/2004 12:00:32 PM LOADEDTUNES wrote:

Some people do little research of there own and get talked into buying something ( from otheres that know even less ) that just can't or won't do the job there after .

The amp is just one component in the chain , if it is a poor match for the rest then your sure to be disappointed . Thats not to say it's the amps fault .

----------------

Hello:

In some cases I fully agree. Like ordering Heritage Line Klipsch - who knows what the exact sound will be in your home.

Not to incite, but a number of SET amps are bought like some sub-woofers over the Internet upon recommendation or just hearing about them/reading 12 pages + on some Forums (meant as light humour only) and decide the sub or the SET isn't all that is what they want.

Additionally, as a more mobile society, people will sell rather than move things and buy new when relocation is complete.

And a huge point here: which would you rather own - a mass produced unit or a very personalized unit like the Peach or his other unit where you can speak with the manufacturer before, during and after buying? Compared to a company that will not even provide a parts list, service manual, etc.?

What I noted about SET is true for PP as you factor in eBay, AudioGon any form of purchase other than at a dealer where you listen to it and may still hate it when you get it into your own home.

I also failed to note the desire for the best PC or Laptop plus Internet Access, Security and any other programs ans also Cell/photophones and monthly costs.

One has only so much disposable income before having to make choices that may include selling one thing to get something else you like.

dodger

----------------

On 7/20/2004 7:13:52 AM sheltie dave wrote:

Edster, in 1 1/2 year of waiting, there has been one set of Moondogs that was at the right price for me, and I just missed. It is very hard spending close to $1500 - $1600 for a set of amps that will not be used 90% of the time in my case. There are some things you just don't know until you can sit down and have a good listen. Dean found that out with Khorns, for example.
9.gif

Edmund, please feel free to carry on the discussion without referencing me in the third person. Sometimes it can come across as demeaning. We disagree on whether the 2A3 SET has some serious constraints, which I deduce to be a major factor in why a good percentage of folks selling theirs decide to move on to other amplification. The four SET amps whose owners I conversed with cited this as a consideration or a major factor in their decision to change. Three moved up in SET power, one was going the expensive HT route. We know you love your SET Moondogs - outside of Paul, you really don't need to take umbrage at a referenced comment.

FWIW, there are three sets of Moondogs FS in the ST. Louis area right now. They are all asking too much money, but that is part of the game until you get serious with selling, and actually advertise the sale, rather than talk about it! There are a set of Mac MC75 monoblocks, a Mac MC240, some Mac SS, a Linn marble base TT, and three sets of Lowther speakers. The fires should have plenty of fuel now.----------------

doggies.JPG

sheltie dave,

Foremost, I don't believe I have spent any time addressing you. Is there something I missed? Next, I really see no point to the discussion other than your apparent need to vent your frustrations with achieving a purchase at your price, or the inability to understanding why some individuals prefer low powered SET amps. Maybe there ARE reasons Moondog prices maintain a certain price level you have not fathomed. Maybe not. Please provide the listing information of the three pairs up for sale as I may know people who may be interested in purchasing them.

In any case, I see nothing significant attached to the sale of a pair of Moondogs, or Wrights, or the legendary So Forths, that is any different than the sale of any other amp. The covert agenda is such a joke. Get over it. That you, or others wish to spend hours posturing against SET amps, enjoy yourself. Drive whatever gets you off. Other individuals have driving preferences that are different than yours. My driving preference is pictured above.

Klipsch out.

PS. If someone wishes information or advice on SET amps, I'll be happy to assist and share whatever knowledge or experience I have.

post-7998-13819257175576_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 7/20/2004 3:28:32 PM neo33 wrote:

Edmund, I have a complaint regarding your post. Your picture is too damn big and it didn't fit my poor little screen.
----------------

Sorry Neo,

I did not have the time or software to properly resize size it. Until then you'll have to use the scroll bar.

Klipsch out.

Hello:

I trust that I am not included in any thought of a conspiracy against SET Amplifiers. If so I resent the implication. I was going to purchase a pair until medical situation changed that.

But I will say that I have made sure to include all in my responses. I feel that Dave made his preference known without degrading any Brand or SET - he also noted pieces of McIntosh equipment - PP. We each choose what we like, is within our budget.

A point I made either in a PM to someone or a past post is that there are cyclical points on the Forum - at one time Scott was THE brand - it is not mentioned much now, but SET is.

Personally, as I have written in the past, unless I pay for another's system and electricity I have no right to critcize, given hearing curves, room size, acoustics, furnishings, sources and source material along with types of music and desired or needed or perceived needed volume levels.

To me all that matters is does it sound good to the owner who is the prime listener. PP, SET, Tubed, Solid State, Hybrid, Headphone, the owner makes the choice decision based on whatever they feel comfortable in basing their choice. That's all that should matter to anyone beyond the owner and any immediate vocal family members - Spouses - Husband or Wife.

I have espoused that opinion and the factors affecting the perceived quality of the sound. The definite factors and the subjective wants in a system are the parameters we should take in to account when listening to any system not owned by ourselves. If asked about the quality of sound by the owner or anyone else, it should definitely be noted that it is our subjective opinion we are giving.

dodger

I have seen several pieces of wright gear come up for sale on audiogon lately and when they do they sell fast. I missed 4 pieces before I got a preamp and if I like it i'll also try his phono stage. I searched audioasylum and it seems he has a good reputation for building quality gear without being overpriced but i'll seen find out.

Seti

----------------

On 7/20/2004 3:55:28 PM dodger wrote:

Hello:

I trust that I am not included in any thought of a conspiracy against SET Amplifiers. If so I resent the implication. I was going to purchase a pair until medical situation changed that.

But I will say that I have made sure to include all in my responses. I feel that Dave made his preference known without degrading any Brand or SET. We each choose what we like, is within our budget.

A point I made either in a PM to someone or a past post is that there are cyclical points on the Forum - at one time Scott was THE brand - it is not mentioned much, but SET is.

Personally, as I have written in the past, unless I pay for another's system and electricity I have no right to critcize, given hearing curves, room size, acoustics, furnishings, sources and source material along with types of music and desired or needed or perceived needed volume levels.

To me all that matters is does it sound good to the owner who is the prime listener. PP, SET, Tubed, Solid State, Hybrid, Headphone, the owner makes the choice decision based on whatever they feel comfortable in basing their choice. That's all that should matter to anyone beyond the owner and any immediate vocal family members - Spouses - Husband or Wife.

I have espoused that opinion and the factors affecting the perceived quality of the sound. The definite factors and the subjective wants in a system are the parameters we should take in to account when listening to any system not own by ourselves. If asked about the quality of sound it should definitely be nted that it is our subjective opinion.

dodger
----------------

dodger,

May I ask what you're reading, or what you're reading into that sparked your post? Is there something I wrote that has offended or confused you?

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 7/20/2004 3:28:32 PM neo33 wrote:

Edmund, I have a complaint regarding your post. Your picture is too damn big and it didn't fit my poor little screen.

Edit: BTW, nice Doggies!
----------------

Neo,

How is the presesnt image?

Klipsch out.

Hi Jazman:

As I stated in a PM to you I wanted to be sure that it does not come to SET vs anything else.

Perhaps I was wrong in noting the objective and subjective and inserting myself. But as I had posted twice I wanted to be sure that all was noted in what I stated.

No confusion or irritation. All is well.

dodger

EDIT:

Gee, three (3) posts, all number fifty (50) - by three (3) different people.

dodger

"Personally, as I have written in the past, unless I pay for another's system and electricity I have no right to critcize, given hearing curves, room size, acoustics, furnishings, sources and source material along with types of music and desired or needed or perceived needed volume levels."

Actually you have every right to criticize anything you want. You are entitled to an opinion and to voice it in a manner that is non-confrotational and not a slur of the individual involved.

That is my opinion on your opinion of other's opinion of your opinion!2.gif

Rick

----------------

On 7/20/2004 4:55:25 PM 3dzapper wrote:

"Personally, as I have written in the past, unless I pay for another's system and electricity I have no right to critcize, given hearing curves, room size, acoustics, furnishings, sources and source material along with types of music and desired or needed or perceived needed volume levels."

Actually you have every right to criticize anything you want. You are entitled to an opinion and to voice it in a manner that is non-confrotational and not a slur of the individual involved.

That is my opinion on your opinion of other's opinion of your opinion!
2.gif

Rick

----------------

After a critical reading of 3dzapper's opinion, I opine that I am ROTFLMAO.

Thanks, Rick.3.gif

dodger

Jazman, thanks for posting that picture. I was just going to get on and ask someone to do that.

It's funny, but seeing that picture has promoted a deep desire in me to upgrade to a pair of Moondogs.... even though I'm a current PP fan. So that's what the upgrade thing is all about, I can't fight it, I see, I hear, I want! I think it's primeval (if that's the right term).11.gif

The only reason why some of these SET monoblocks go up for sale is that the owners finally see the light when they see my BEZ 300B SET stereo amp and they all of a sudden feel the need to trade up!9.gif

I don't find too many used BEZ components on AudiogoN or eBay...hmmmm, wonder why?2.gif

DSCF1539_71.jpg

post-11084-13819257178246_thumb.jpg

I don't find too many used BEZ components on AudiogoN or eBay...hmmmm, wonder why?2.gif

I don't think he has made enough amps to flood the market yet. At one every eight months I think I have a better chance of seeing molasses flow in January in Toronto.9.gif

I am glad to see you finally received your amps and are enjoying them. 1.gif

LOL...thanks, Dflip. Actually, I think Edmund Lam (see "zagger1" on eBay for his auctions) cranks out more than we think (my 8 month waiting period was a different situation than what his other customers go through...usually 2 months is the most regarding shipping via economy surface from Hong Kong).

But you're right; I doubt he's built enough components yet to flood the market. And he's probably had a few customers that have sold their BEZ gear somewhere down the road at one time or another.

----------------

On 7/20/2004 9:58:27 PM edwinr wrote:

Jazman, thanks for posting that picture. I was just going to get on and ask someone to do that.

It's funny, but seeing that picture has promoted a deep desire in me to upgrade to a pair of Moondogs.... even though I'm a current PP fan. So that's what the upgrade thing is all about, I can't fight it, I see, I hear, I want! I think it's primeval (if that's the right term).
11.gif
----------------

edwinr,

I'm glad you appreciated the photo. If sheltie dave would quit BSing and send the contact information for the three pairs of Moondogs that are up for sale, you'd have an opportunity to find out what's up first hand. I have one friend, and maybe two, who would love to have the contact information also. There's also the possibility he doesn't really know of three pairs up for sale in his area, and it was all just hot air. Let's wait and see.

A well built pair of 2A3 Moondogs, even with stock parts, without the Ultimate upgrade package, on efficient horns, especially Khorns, has to be heard, to be believed and aprreciated. Add the better quality tubes and parts, and like most other quality tube amps, there's no telling how many smiles will appear on your face. You will also not have a problem recovering ALL of your money on a resale if you decide they are not for you. You also get to report your experience, positive or negative, to all forum members.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 7/20/2004 10:46:53 PM jt1stcav wrote:

The only reason why some of these SET monoblocks go up for sale is that the owners finally see the light when they see my BEZ 300B SET stereo amp and they all of a sudden feel the need to trade up!
9.gif

I don't find too many used BEZ components on AudiogoN or eBay...hmmmm, wonder why?
2.gif

DSCF1539_71.jpg"
----------------

Jim,

That really is a nice looking piece of hardware.

Klipsch out.