good used CD-players?

KungFuNat

ok fellas, im almost done building my first heritage 2-channel system. now all i need is a CD player to finish it off.

im looking for a decent CD-player that can be found for under $200. im completely fine with used equipment. i dont really care if its only single-disc, but multi-disc would be welcome.

It's tough trying to find a "quality" cd player for under $200, even used. I have a 10 year old Yamaha 655 which sounds great, and has 5 disc capability. Other than being a little noisy changing from disc to disc, it's great and I have no desire to upgrade.

Why not look into the Pioneer DV 578AS and get SACD and DVD-Audio along with CD and DVD playback for $150 brand new?

Just a thought.

Having recently updated my CD I have found that there is a hearable difference between one bit and multibit processors. My advice is to take a gander at the used market for a 16+ bit procesor when searching. That will give you a fairly long lifed machine and will provide a much more fuller sound - IMHO

Might be a bit more than $200, but my hands down recommendation closest to that price goes to the original Rega Planet (sells for about $300-400 used).

If one can expand the budget a bit further, then look at the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 - can be found used for about $450. This deck has tube outputs, and as many here already know, Klipsch love tubes.

Two superb decks for the $$$$.

Toshiba 3950.

I have one-I'm listening to it right now! It really does sound good!! Not sure it is made anymore. Check in over at the Audio Asylum-> Digital section. There is a newer deck, I think either 3960, 4950 (?) that's also getting raves. Lots of mods for these things too if you are so inclined.

Although I haven't heard either personally, really good things said about the aforementioned original Rega Planet as well as the NAD spinners.

Good luck and post back with what you end up with and your thoughts. I'm sure there's several folks out there with similar objectives.

paul2.gif

I also purchased the Toshiba SD-3950 after reading rave reviews from audioasylum as well as on this Forum.

I really didn't need another cd player but Amazon.com had it for $69.99 with free shipping as well as $30.00 off if you sign up for their credit card.

To make the deal even sweeter Toshiba was offering as $20.00 rebate on the player at the time so this player cost me a "astounding" $19.99...how could I lose?!!

It is still available from Amazon...

Jeff

several different tactics:

1. Used CD players are a risk! Old ones if starting to skip a little will be sold on EBAY and will need a new laser. $ 150 or more to replace. I have a Denon CD player that has Burr Brown DACs. Got it from EBAY for $ 110 and took $ 160 for a new laser. So for $ 270 I got a $ 699 MSRP player.

Not too bad!

2. Add an outboard DAC any one will do.

Add EMI radiation and resonace control mods yourself for about $ 60 from www.virmode.com

3. Avoid cheap DVD players to play CDs. If power supplies and video DACs are poorly designed and built the jitter is very horrible. Once you can define edgy digital hash; it is very fatiguing and reduces listening session time spent and enjoyment.

There are a couple of new Philips units that have upsampling within your budget. I tried the 5 disc version (not quite as good specs as the single disc), and it sounded as good as my Denon MSB LinkDAC II, and it cost $150! I bought it through Amazon, I think with free shipping.

Greg

I would echo that about the Nakamiches: I inherited a Nak CDP2 recently, and early machine that sounds really good, built like a tank (seems to use Pioneer transport and other electronics) and has a very dynamic sound. Course it sits on a shelf because in my main system I'm using the Decware DEC 685 modified Sony SACD/DVD player, and I'm using my HHB professional burner as a cd player in my living room system.

I have a Pioneer DV-563A DVD-Audio/DVD/SACD progressive scan player that is 3 months old and practically new, I just bought a Denon DVD-3800 off Ebay and need to sell this Pioneer, it comes with box, remote and manual. Its a sweet sounding player surprisingly and compared to a Denon DVD-2900 $800 player the DVD audio quality is surprisingly close on my setup.

Here are the specs and a review of this player:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/dvdplayers/1203pioneer/

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/html/reviews/techreview.php?rev=21

Asking $130 shipped to your door step:)

2046370DV_563A_big.jpg