Members Weekly Music Recommendations-August 9

thebes

It's a new week and while we are not really growing this as well as I'd like its still a good place to share some good tunes with your fellow Forum Members. Don't worry though, I'm working on a couple of things that may perk interest up so please keep stopping by.

Rules are simple: Name of Individual/Group, Title,type of

music as best you can (rock, classic etc.) and weather its's a cd, lp etc.

My suggestion for this week is

Sara K "Play on Words" .

A cd that I would probably categorize as "smooth" jazz. Put out by the fine folks at Checky Records, one of the songs "History Repeats Itself" is used on Sterophile's TEst CD #3.

It's a concert DVD, but the sound, songs and musicianship on "Live at the Quick" by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones make for great audio. The only Jazz Banjo player I've ever heard is backed on this set by his "regular" band (bass great Victor Wooten lays it down heavy and his whacked out brother futureman handles drums/rhythm), plus 3 reed-players, and a trio of "world music" players that make for a very unique approach to very listenable jazz.

Great DTS output. Plus Dolby. Nice extras.

If there is anything wrong with the disk, it is that the list of songs is broken by a short interview segment between every 2 tracks (come to think of it, about every DVD concert I own is that way -- WHY??!!?), and it sure ruins the pure listening pleasure. Still, a minor gripe about a MAJOR performance! I listen with the TV off and skip thru the interviews.

The Flectones sounds like a pretty cool recommendation. Just for your info I went to their website and it's also avialble on cd. The play list doesn't mention anything about interviews so it's probably just pure music without the interuptions. Thanks

A couple great jazz lps/cds I recently discovered are Lee Morgan's "The Rumproller" and Curtis Fuller's Quintet's "Blues-ette." The latter is sort of a jazz/big band combo sound which is really cool. There are at least 3 killer songs on the album. Hard not to like. The Rumproller is classic Lee Morgan with the title song written by Andrew Hill. It's right up there with Herbie Hancock's "Watermelonman" and "Cantelope Island." Also hard not to like.

----------------

On 8/10/2004 9:41:24 PM hooting_monkey wrote:

Layla (Original Version), Derek & The Dominos, Classic Rock, CD Single

One of my favorite songs ever!

----------------

Eeeyeah hooting_monkey!

I was listening to Layla its first time around when I was 16 and its still one of my favorite songs. Good to know 16 year olds dont change much.

How do you like A Whiter Shade Of Pale by Procol Harum?

A Whiter Shade Of Pale

This week's recommendation: "Brazilian Bossa", A DTS Entertainment DVD-A that includes MLP, DTS and DD 2.0 tracks. It can be played on any DVD player, but is best on a DVD-A player.

This is a very high resolution (24/96) digital recording that is multi-channel music at its best. A wide variety of the best Brazilians have been recorded on this DVD. The producers give technical recording specs on the screen with each song. I hear no differences between 24/96 and 16/48. It looks like I do not have a golden ear. Oh well!

Bill

----------------

On 8/11/2004 8:11:28 AM Trey Cannon wrote:

I found a new movie that was somewhat of a "chick flick" but good in it own right.

13 going on 30.

and one seen has RF-7's in it......we didn't know.

----------------

Trey-that actually was a pretty good flick, almost reminiscent of Big. I saw it at the theater, but didn't notice the RF-7s.

David

a few that have been on my system quite a bit lately...

Damien Rice - "O" CD terrific sonics and great music

David Gray - "A New Day At Midnight" DVD-A awesome

Eric Bibb - "Good Stuff" SACD excellent blues

Clapton - Reptile just started listening to this again recently and it makes me keep coming back for more

I was perusing various DVD Audio discs at BB and found Homecoming by America. I liked this band when I was growing up and this disc had some really good tracks on it. I am always a bit concerned buying music on new formats that was originally recorded 30 years ago. I was very surprised and pleased that this disc was re-mastered with great care. This is a good quality recording considering the original age,in fact it sounds better then some of the more recent recordings out there. The opening track is Ventura Highway. Man did this bring back some memories. The acustic guitar sounds awesome and the use of the surrounds is done very nice.

Disc features:

Advance Resolution DVD Audio Surround

Advance Resolution DVD Audio Stereo

And for those without DVD Audio capabilities:

Dolby Digital

DTS 5.1

Great songs, and a very good sounding disc. Go buy it and enjoy!

Scooterdog

This week I highly advise that you guys get Mindy Smith-One Moment More CD. This CD has been listed as rock, pop, country, and folk depending on where you buy it from. The lyrics are outstanding and the vocals are amazing. This has to be one of the best new artist to come out in a long time.

I guess I've been going "back a little (lot)" lately. My cd listenings yesterday and today have been: Jean Michel Jarre's 'Equinoxe', Kitaro's 'Silk Road', Andreas Vollenweider's 'White Winds', and for a change of pace, one of my most favoured folk albums, Judy Collins' 'Fifth Album' ("Thirsty Boots" and all!!). Happy listening to all!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just Got Into the Whole DVD-Audio and SACD thing and I picked up a couple of my favorites in SACD: Train - Drops of Jupiter and Three Doors Down - Away From The Sun Both Great sounding Discs and rather cheap too. Also for all you rap ppl out there I picked up the E-40 Greatest Hits, another excellent CD.