So my parents are getting sick of Bose...

Ou8thisSN

Well in the continual quest for an HT, I have moved the RF7s and the PB2+ from the downstairs family room to the upstairs theater, since we got the RC7. That room will only be used for movie screening, not really music. Anyway, so we had these old Bose cubes laying around that I hooked up downstairs, but now, having been used to the klipsch sound, my parents are clamoring for something better. While I certainly appreciate the sentiment, I (we) dont want the exact same speakers downstairs and upstairs, as in the RF7s. I also dont want the heritage line, because they are just too big and I dont want to buy used. So what choices do I have?

A while back there was talk and pictures of a Klipsch Premier line or something with a pair of speakers to replace the RF7s. When is or is there even an ETA on those speakers? If so, would they cost around the same as the RF7s? And if Klipsch wont have that out for years to come, what other speaker brands should I demo to get a Klipsch like sound? They are pressuring me to get something by December...

How about going w/ some RB-75s all around? You could mate them w/ an SVS tube. That would give you something, different, but not TOO different.

BTW, the Premier speakers shown @ CES did look really good, but I don't know when they'll be available.

John

well they dont care if its small profile or not. So we dont want bookshelf speakers, and they wont settle for anything less than the sound that the RF7s produce, but refuse to buy another pair of the exact same speakers for the downstairs that we use upstairs. So, if there is no ETA on the Premier series, then what other companies should I be considering for floorstanders that compare to the RF7s...

The RB-75's all round would make an incredible option. Look good, sound even better. Paradigm are okay. Their best speakers are the little 'Atom's' and the Studio 20's. I've owned and enjoyed both. The RB-75 though kills the Studio 20's for dynamics and sound just as good when reproducing Nora or Josh.

----------------

On 8/17/2004 6:01:19 PM Ou8thisSN wrote:

well they dont care if its small profile or not. So we dont want bookshelf speakers, and they wont settle for anything less than the sound that the RF7s produce, but refuse to buy another pair of the exact same speakers for the downstairs that we use upstairs. So, if there is no ETA on the Premier series, then what other companies should I be considering for floorstanders that compare to the RF7s...

----------------

So go for a RF-35 system with am RC-35 center. In 6.1 or 7.1 it'll give them every bit of what they expect, and won't be "exactly the same" speakers...

If they can't handle that, then you need to camly and patiently explain to them that 4 Khorns and 2 or 3 Belles really are worth the $25K investment they're facing to make the ultimate home theater 2.gif

okay well thanks for the advice but perhaps I should clarify a few things:

this is only for a 2.1 system not another 5.1 system. We already have an "ultimate" 5.1 system powerd by klipsch upstairs. Like I already mentioned, they wont allow any heritage speakers because they are too big, and we dont have perfect corners, so it would be pointless to get Klipschorns. RB75s are not in the same league as the RF7s, so please stop mentioning them or any other reference speaker as an alternative. I guess I'm really asking for other bright, high sensitivity speaker brands that we can audition that compete in the same league and price range as the RF7s.

----------------

On 8/18/2004 12:15:36 AM Ou8thisSN wrote:

this is only for a 2.1 system not another 5.1 system. We already have an "ultimate" 5.1 system powerd by klipsch upstairs. Like I already mentioned, they wont allow any heritage speakers because they are too big, and we dont have perfect corners, so it would be pointless to get Klipschorns. RB75s are not in the same league as the RF7s, so please stop mentioning them or any other reference speaker as an alternative. I guess I'm really asking for other bright, high sensitivity speaker brands that we can audition that compete in the same league and price range as the RF7s.

----------------

So get them a pair of Belles.

----------------

On 8/18/2004 12:52:44 AM Hardhitter wrote:

Throw the Bose away!! Just get another set of RF7's, why beat your head against the wall trying to get something to sound like them!!

----------------

Exactly! If you are looking for the sound of the RF-7s, well, the only solution I have is to stop being anal-retentive about having the "same thing as upstairs" and get another friggan pair of RF-7s. Get them in a different color, so they won't "technically" be the "exact" same thing.

Otherwise, get a pair of Martin-Logan Ascent speakers. If they liked the sound of the RF-7s, they should like the sound of these (I would've gotten these if I had not already had the Klipsch).

----------------

On 8/18/2004 12:15:36 AM Ou8thisSN wrote:

----------------

nothing is going to compare to the RF-7's when it comes to sensitivity and brightness..... unless you are willing to spend 2 to 3 times the money.....

and they still will not have the impact and dynamics of the RF-7's.....