ADCOM vs B&K amps

Born2RockU

How would the ASDCOM GFA-7700 multi-channel amp (5 channels @ 175watts per) be compare to the B&K AV125.5( 5 channels@ 125 each) ??? Is the B&K a cleaner amp ?

You should also be looking at the ATI 2505 on sale at OneCall.com for about $1400 plus shipping. The ATI requires a 20 amp circuit and will not plug into a 15 amp circuit. TheEAR uses this amp with Reference speakers and likes it.

Between the 125 watt B&K and the 175 watt Adcom, I would lean toward the Adcom.

Bill

Definately listen to both. I did, I preferred adcom, but liked them both. Sounds like most on this forum may prefer B&K. It may depend on what music you like. I like a live sound, and felt adcom and klipsch provide that. Others like a warmer sound and wouldn't like adcom at all. Both are great amps, just different.

i was going to mention that adcom amps in my limited audition sounded too bright, but i am very biased towards the b&k stuff, as far as warm yes this is true, but it is also true of many many amps, i did ask the question of the b&k tecks and they said that everything is well within speks, and if i were worried, dont! i used to run rotel and they are cool as cucumbers, but in my expereince that is very rare12.gif

Hi,

I own a ST-140 and M200 monoblocks in various systems. I still like my Cayin M-12 amp the best of the lot but the B&K amps are also wonderful. Anyway, I also have a Sherbourn amp too so I'll give you the results of my listening test for what it's worth. The B&K amp utilizes MOSFETS in its output stage and has a warmer sound then my Sherbourn which has Bipolar transistors. Most SS amps use Bipolar transistors and amps using MOSFETS are usually more costly. The Sherborn has tighter bass and more clarity in the treble region. The B&K had a sweeter mid with rolled off highs. My tube amp sounded more musical the either and was my favorite amp. I've listed to ADCOM at a dealer's studio and liked the amp (I forget the model). I thought it sounded nice but the speakers were not Klipsch so it's hard to say how it really stacked up with my other amps. You really need to listen to each amp. B&K stuff is built like a tank, has excellent warranty service and they are right in Buffalo NY. I don't know about ADCOM but service after the sale is very important. Good luck.

I heard the b&k 200x2 and thought it sounded ok (did not hear the adcom) but I love my rotel rmb 1080 200x2 you should also give rotel a listen they have a rmb1075 125x5 for $1000 or rmb1095 200x5 for $2000 they are the best bag for the buck IMO go to www.rotel.com for more info

PS I have heard parasound they sound good too

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

B&k seem to be around the longest with no problems with them. Meaning you see ancient used ones mint and in perfect working condition (they don't seem to break down), and they seem to have the most reviews of the sweetest sound and warmth(from users, and magazine reviewers). Which I think is a good thing with any speaker not just Klipsch. I am actually looking into amps and this is what I have come up with. So I am leaning towards b&k or cambridge audio also acurus. I like harman also so I may go the cheap route and get one of their pa amps which would probally break down on me.

I'll put in another vote for B&K. I am using the ST-2020 which was manufactured in 1995 and it's still in mind condition. The sound is rich, warm, and the soundstange and instrument separation are both excellent.

From what I hear Aragon and Acurus equipment is excellent as well.