Wright Sound 3.5 's on Audiogon

3dzapper

I Grabbed these.

I have been dying to try out 2A3 for quite some time and have been waiting for either some Wrights or Moondogs to hit Audiogon.

Now I am going to need a preamp for these babies. I would like to get a Wright to match them (WLA12A would be my first choice), but waiting for a used one to come up while I have the 3.5's sitting around may give me an anxiety attack.

Bob

Congrats on the purchase, those look like some very cool amps!!

I have been itching to get a pair of 2A3 set amps, I might have to get a pair and see what the hoopla is about.

Right now im running a pair of highly modified Dynaco Mark III amps with Triode or UL mode. So the Dynaco's would be more of a brute amp with tons of power I would imagine, in Triode mode they sound very clean and crisp and voices are natural and smooth.

Bob,

Congrats. I've got a pair of these and they are sweet, sweet, sweet.

Enjoy!

BTW, the Sovtek 2A3's are the winners in the bang for the buck category. They can only be improved upon by the RCA blackplates. Geo Wright recommends this and Sylvania 6sN7 chrome domes if one wants to roll tubes. I never beat this combination with anything else I tried.

From the advertisement and talking with him it seems he got them in trade from Mr. Wright after doing some website/advertisement work for him. From the pictures he has, it looks like very nice web/ad work to boot. So its all relative in cost I guess. Two fellahs trading each other their crafts to gain something.

The seller was also extremely friendly and responsive in all the emails I sent. Probably not even 2 minutes went by between email replies. Plus he owns a pair of LaScala's and Heresy's, so that never hurts ones character 9.gif

I've listened to several 2A3 amplifiers that are wonderful with Klipsch speakers. I just finished a custom 2A3 amp for a customer and we tested it against his Dyncao 70 and it blew the Dynaco away. For Klipsch speakers I love the sound of a well designed SE amp. My tech is currently building me a 5 channel SE amp for SACD/DVD-A listening. It's going to be one big mother! We may even sell it on our website but I haven't decided this yet.

----------------

On 9/5/2004 7:24:22 PM triode wrote:

How could an amp with only 3.5 watts per channel blow away one with more power?

I think it's impossible.

----------------

Think "blow away" was used as a metaphor expressing a stronger preference or likeness for the sound of the SE amp. Not to suggest it produced more volume or wattage.

That's how I interpreted the comment.

My friends don't believe me when I tell them I am only running 8 watts per channel. I had to show them the spec sheet that came with my gear lol. I don't know how loud most people listen to music but for me 8watts with my wright pre volume knob at about 12-2 o'clock it is just what I want.

I really want to listen to some vintage quad II's on my system. Has anyone tried the new quad forty ?

Depending on when the seller got the amps would reflect the price of these amps. Three years ago they went for $800, then $880 and now are in the $1430 range. They have gone up in price a lot in the past few years. It doesn't appear that there are any major changes to the amp in the past few years other than a large price increase. At the $975 price they represent good value, at $1430 I would think they have a lot more competition.

By the way, the mono 10 and 25 are listed on the website: http://www.wright-sound.com/products

Congratulations on your purchase.