need a cd-player

KungFuNat

so im in the market for a CD-player. i checked out a NAD player for $299 that i liked alot, but $300 is a bit more than i wanted to spend. ive been looking at used CD-players, but ive been told that used players are a bit of a gamble. anyways, is there anything that you guys would reccomend? or should i just go out and get a sony and be done with it?

my system is a rotel preamp -> hafler dh220 -> '76 heresys

you have a good system going. why would you buy a cheap cd player? buy the nad, or better, the heresies will show you just how bad the player really

sounds, i bought cheap in the begining, by others advice, and now my son has the player, differences between players become very obvious when they are coming out of heritage speakers.

How long are you planning to use the player? My old player was (gasp) over 20 years old when I changed it out. I bought a Pioneer 25 disk changer at a pawn shop for $50 out the door, just for a temp setup but it plays really well. It is still in current manufacture and sales so it isn't THAT old. For the most part though I am of the school that buys the best availabel within my price range and stays with it for a long time. One day I will upgrade the changer but for now it sounds pretty darn nice. Isn't that what this hobby is all about? Finding what sounds good to your ears, not what is in fassion with the elete at the moment?

I bought one of the new Toshibas (3960) thinking it would be a do-all unit for my system. It doesn't have a TOS link out so I could never listen to DVD movies in dolbly digital sound.

For months I couldn't figure out why my new 7.1 receiver wouldn't even recognize and play any 5.1 DVDs in dolby digital. Come to find out it was the cheesy little toshiba DVD players lack of an optical output.

I hooked up my old Kenwood which has an OPTICAL OUT and was astounded by the sound coming out of my speakers while watching a movie. The little blue light on the receiver even came on for the first time ever! WooHoo!

I have a slightly used Toshiba 3960 if anyone wants it? $50 shipped.

If you're going to use the player for watching DVDs and listening to music make damn sure it has an optical output.

----------------

On 9/12/2004 2:23:14 AM NatGun wrote:

so im in the market for a CD-player. i checked out a NAD player for $299 that i liked alot, but $300 is a bit more than i wanted to spend. ive been looking at used CD-players, but ive been told that used players are a bit of a gamble. anyways, is there anything that you guys would reccomend? or should i just go out and get a sony and be done with it?

my system is a rotel preamp -> hafler dh220 -> '76 heresys

----------------

The sony nc685v changer plays sacd'/cd's/dvd's/and cdrs. It sounds quite good and sell for about 250.00. My last sony changer which didn't sound nearly as good only lasted for about 5 yrs but by then I was ready for an upgrade anyway.

blacksmith,

i am only planning to use the cd-player for about a year. when i have the money i am going to build a dedicated jukebox PC and run the digital out to an outboard DAC.

i found an NAD 5-disc changer for $125. so unless anyone has any objections, im probably going to go with that.

NATGUN : Heres the deal , believe what you want and fall into someone elses dream if you like " BUT " the truth of the matter is , a $2500.00 cd player from 7 years ago is now selling for less then $250.00 .

Cd players have hit there peak , now the R&D is going into new technoligy " not " improving on whats already on the market . Blue laser technoligy amoung others is what manufactures are concentrating on , not improving on the red laser stuff.

Heres something just from " me " take it for what you want , i've got a top of the line rotel $2500.00 cd player from 5 years ago , i also have a 2004 model toshiba ( $198.00 walmart special ) that you can A/B test till the cows come home and i'll defy you to pick which is which .

Buy something with a decent warrenty and from a place that can fix it or replace it if problems arise , these players are disposible as far as i'm concerned . Fixing costs more then a new unit .

Buddy of mine has a 15k player that he let me test drive for a month while he was on vacation , want to hear what i thought about it ????????

Not a dam bit of difference between that player and my rotel , but contained slightly less jitter noise then the 200 dollar walmart toshiba , noise that you would lkly never hear on any speaker beside a klipsch or equal sensitve model .