Who has Cornwalls in the smallest room?

kelsa

Many people posting on this site have Cornwalls. Knowing that they sound best in a fairly large room, I was wondering if anyone has them in small rooms. Mine are in a 15' by 15' room soon to be moved into a 22' by 11' room. Probably placed along the 11' wall. So how small are the rooms that some of you have them in?

I have what you see in my signature below in a 16' X 14' room, the speakers are on the long walls. (I live in an apartment right now) My dedicated HT room in the house we are getting will be 20' X 45' and the speakers will go on the short walls then. They sound great by the way.

----------------

On 9/14/2004 2:21:56 PM marksdad wrote:

putting the corns in a room along that wall will have bad sounstage, they will still be heritage, but the small area will not give the large speakers room to fully develope thier potential sound

----------------

If placed along the 22' wall they would only be 10' away from the listener. Isn't this too close?

I don't remember the exact measurement but from the center of the left tweeter to the center of the right tweeter was 87 inches.

They were too close together so I replaced them with my KLF20's last Saturday. The KLFs have a smaller foot print.

I am going to redo my den next spring which will be about 26'x26'. I will then make that my main room.

If you don't have the room they sound good, but they are not anything special. Soundstage isn't really there. If the KLF's don't work out I may roll my pair of Heresy's into the room and see what happens.

In this case size is everything.

Danny

I sure do get tired of hearing how big Heritage in small rooms won't do this and won't do that. Here are my K-horns on the 12 foot short wall -- and this system does everything everyone says it won't.

If you want big Heritage to image properly, you just have to get the horns at ear level.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=32793&

LOL, that's pretty good.

Tom, they are "toed out" from the perspective that they are not in the "real" corners -- but once swung around in the false corners and facing into the listening area -- they are in fact toed in, and tipped down. If they were in the corners on that short wall, the "sweet" spot would be 5 feet in front of the speakers -- and it's not really very "sweet". The false corners put the tweeters 8 feet apart, and I sit 12 feet back.

The hand clap test shows the room to be slightly on the live side, which customarily is what I have preferred over the years. However, I do need a little bit of room treatment, and I'm getting ready to work on that. At the very least, I'm going to put some acoutical tiles on the side walls to stop the first reflection, as well on the ceiling in front of the horns. Nothing extravagent here.

The room has a couple of things going for it: I have no wall directly behind me. The room is about 30 feet long, so I have about 18 feet of open space behind me. This long dimension means low bass notes can propogate unimpeded. This means I also don't have sound bouncing back into the soundfield. The walls and ceiling of the room aren't all comprised of intersecting 90 degree angles -- the room is not a "box" shape. I don't have any standing waves, and the bass isn't boomy, muddy, or "one notey". The bass sounds natural to me, with good transient attack and definition.

No room is perfect (except Arttos :), and I think that regardless of whatever problems the room has -- the sound is clean, open, tight, and engaging. In other words -- I think things sound pretty darn good.

Yeah, the front of the rack is just behind the gap between the false corners.