Khorns are here.

Painful Reality

----------------

On 9/18/2004 1:36:13 PM paulparrot wrote:

...Why chrome moly? Because when Dean's steel rods are covered with rust, the chrome moly ones will still be nice and clean looking.

----------------

Chrome-moly needs to be coated or painted as it will also rust some. Ask any bike owner who has a chrome moly frame. Or just go stainless or carbon tubing if you are really into overtweaking.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why drop the vast amounts of money on stainless rods when you can buy zinc sacrificial anodes at $50 per twenty pound weight?2.gif

Jeff, they are going to end up looking and sounding beautiful. Half the fun is figuring out how to get to that point, and you have enough candlepower to figure it out!

Congratulations on the additions to your growing stereo family4.gif

Here are some observations wit the khorns located on my long wall position (spaced 23 feet apart).

To my opinion it's a clear case of "forget that" unless a center channel is used. I don't want to know the price of a rosewood Belle though. Without a center channel, the khorns are acting as two distinct sound sources. The centerfield is extremely weak and really diffuse.

I'll try the other short wall tomorrow. Actually they ain't that short at 17 feet.

I see a glimpse of what these speakers can offer (and I know they can offer a lot) but still it's only a glimpse.

While sitting and scratching my head at "what's next" I couldn't avoid thinking at how Greg did a beautiful job on these. Sorry to repeat myself here but they're beautiful...

Dr Painful, just on a lark, reverse one of your speaker leads. That may help phase them a little better. Even if they are "marked", the spacing may affect the phasing and thus soundstage in your room.

One of those been there done that kind of observations. When mine aren't phased correctly they present two point sources in the soundfield. Because they are spaced so far apart,21', there isn't a significant degradation of the bass when out of phase.

Rick

No wonder they don't sound great , thats a tough room using the long wall for the horns.

You'd need to get back almost 17 feet before hitting the good intersection point and then really have to crank them to get the bass as hard hitting as the highs.

Your going to have a little more trouble getting these to image compared to the lamhorns your use to. It's not like you have the chance to sit 10 feet back from them toe'd in at you like a pair of " nearfeild " monitors and really pick up on the detail.

Good luck and keep trying different approachs .

----------------

On 9/18/2004 8:32:14 PM Painful Reality wrote:

I'll try the other short wall tomorrow. Actually they ain't that short at 17 feet.

---------------

It's going to be interesting if the long wall isn't an option. But 17 feet is okay as long as you can sit right at the intersecting point of the Khorns. I tried mine in the shorter corner of my room just for fun (about 18 feet) and the sound was good, but I thought the bass was a little excessive compared to the long corner. But that was my room with double brick. I s'pose if that doesn't work, a false corner or two...?

...And Paul, you know how you constantly go on about decent power for the Klipschorns etc, etc... Well... You're right! 3.gif I finally hauled my Rotel pre power (200watts a side) downstairs and listened. Wow! What dynamics! The bass! The Klipschorn's sucked in the power and spat it out. My insides were shaking and the windows rattled and the neighbour came over from next door (he's a hi-fi freak); He said; "What the h**l have you got now?" He stayed for 2 hours! 3.gif

----------------

On 9/19/2004 6:12:48 PM DeanG wrote:

The problem isn't power, it's placement.

----------------

...and room interactions. Biggest problem I see in my room is the stupid staircase in the middle of the room. The idiot who installed it maybe 20 years ago choose the easiest solution which was not the best. Old houses have their charms but comes with their heritage of stupid mods, thanks to the horrible 70ies. The floor is somewhat wobbly with the joists being spaced on each 3 feet. The ceiling is high, 11' at it's peak and sloped to 9' ft so it should help.

As for the khorns, glimpses of happiness are there. I'll move the khorns to my 2nd short wall sometime this week (hopefully...).

Jeff, you have a couple partial answers on EBay right now. There is an EV Cardinal(cornerhorn) in North Carolina for $1, no reserve, with one bid on it. It is done in a fantastic looking light red mahogany. You could drop in a mirrored set of Klipsch K33, 55, and 77 drivers and speakers, an identical crossover, and voila, a center channel for a relative song.

There is a set of custom square speakers on EBay listed at $700 (under Klipsch) that would be a great donor for such a project.

The more amenable solution might be a single false corner with both speakers on the long wall. I have a similar problem with the basement den, but the wife would scalp me if I went with a false corner that stuck out four feet.14.gif

----------------

On 9/18/2004 9:27:06 AM radiob wrote:

And dont forget PWKs demonstation that 5 watts through k-horns compares to an orchestra, so 5 watts is what PWK used.

----------------

No, that is incorrect. PWK was talking "acoustic watts," not just the nominal rating of an amp. That's why he recommended a *minimum* of 20 Watt amps for his Klipschorns. And there is *no* evidence that PWK used a 5 watt amp.

----------------

On 9/19/2004 7:41:09 PM edwinr wrote:

...And Paul, you know how you constantly go on about decent power for the Klipschorns etc, etc... Well... You're right!
3.gif
I finally hauled my Rotel pre power (200watts a side) downstairs and listened. Wow! What dynamics! The bass! The Klipschorn's sucked in the power and spat it out. My insides were shaking and the windows rattled and the neighbour came over from next door (he's a hi-fi freak); He said; "What the h**l have you got now?" He stayed for 2 hours!
3.gif

----------------

Yes, an adequately fed Klipschorn is a whole nother animal.