OT- Spaceship ONE

j-malotky

WOW. Not only the first civilian spaceship, but it beat the X-15 altitude record.

Burt Rutan, you are the man. I know this is an audio forum, but Burt has achived so much for the aviation community.

It is good to see some encouraging news of the human achivements these days.

Congratulations to the Spaceship ONE crew.

JM

I had to rush home this morning, shuttling the kids to school, got home in time to see the re-entry and landing. Yes, a fantastic achievement! As a kid, I was glued to the TV during the Apollo (esp. 11 & 13) flights. These events represent some of the best in human effort and perseverence America has to offer. Certainly a proud day here!

Fueled by tire rubber and nitrous oxide. Just like me...

----------------

On 10/4/2004 12:33:13 PM J.4knee wrote:

Fini,

when did you start using the "tire rubber" again?
9.gif

----------------

Oh, I never gave it up. Keeps me grounded with all that NiO2...

3.gif

----------------

On 10/4/2004 1:56:12 PM neo33 wrote:

The big question is, can it orbit the earth and make reentry without blowing up? And let see the costs once we get to that point.

----------------

Right,and the payload is also very limited.Great to deliver small satelites but not of much help when larger space station parts need to be sent to space or orbit.There only a big nasty,smoking rocket will do.

And besides the Energia and Proton rockets are solid workhorses.The Energia can send the most tank like payloads up.No plane can match it.

Never the less a great feat by Burt Rutan and his team,congrats to them 1.gif

----------------

On 10/4/2004 10:43:56 AM j-malotky wrote:

WOW. Not only the first civilian spaceship, but it beat the X-15 altitude record.

Burt Rutan, you are the man. I know this is an audio forum, but Burt has achived so much for the aviation community.

It is good to see some encouraging news of the human achivements these days.

Congratulations to the Spaceship ONE crew.

JM

----------------

I don't know what it's good for, but it sure looks like fun!

Considering the extreme costs of orbital insertion of material and the very low yield of research results, I think that it's time we started realistically thinking about the space elevator. People have't been laughing at the idea for a few years now, and as Azimov said, it should only be a few years from the time people stop laughing at it to the time it's built.

The most recent conference suggested a 100 billion dollar price tag. And even if real costs will triple this budget, it seems like an great investment into humanity's future, considering primarily the benefits of the radically-new technologies that will be developed as part of the project, as well as the secondary benefits of reducing the costs of orbital insertion by more than 1000X.

With an estimated (guessed) construction time of over 20 years at best, a half a trillion dollar budget should neither surprise nor alarm anyone.

Burt Rutan is definitely the man. Today is like another Kitty Hawk.

One observation: it is truly amazing to see what enterprising individuals can accomplish when not limited by the paradigms of the government or industry.

This has nearly immediate earning potential for paying riders. People are already paying $3000 to ride on the vomit comet to experience the brief sensation of weightlessness.... and they all throw up for their quest. Just think of being able to be ride into space at mach 3+ for the view, even if it's for a few minutes. What would the going rate be for a ride like that?3.gif

This was a great feat on the same day we lost one of the original space pioneers, Gordon Cooper. Maybe they met up up there. There weren't any unplanned barrel rolls this time and according to "The Right Stuff", ole Gordo was the best test pilot in the world. Or at least he said so.

Rick

----------------

On 10/4/2004 10:14:47 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Just think of being able to be ride into space at mach 3+ for the view, even if it's for a few minutes. What would the going rate be for a ride like that?
3.gif
----------------

As far as cost goes, Richard Branson was quoted in this CNN article... http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/09/29/spaceshipone.attempt.cnn/

Virgin Atlantic Airways founder Richard Branson announced on Monday that he would invest $25 million in a new space venture, to be called Virgin Galactic. The project will license Scaled Composite's SpaceShipOne technology for commercial suborbital flights starting at about $200,000. He expects it could fly 3,000 people within five years.

----------------

On 10/4/2004 9:25:36 PM meuge wrote:

Considering the extreme costs of orbital insertion of material and the very low yield of research results, I think that it's time we started realistically thinking about the space elevator. People have't been laughing at the idea for a few years now, and as Azimov said, it should only be a few years from the time people stop laughing at it to the time it's built.

The most recent conference suggested a 100 billion dollar price tag. And even if real costs will triple this budget, it seems like an great investment into humanity's future, considering primarily the benefits of the radically-new technologies that will be developed as part of the project, as well as the secondary benefits of reducing the costs of orbital insertion by more than 1000X.

With an estimated (guessed) construction time of over 20 years at best, a half a trillion dollar budget should neither surprise nor alarm anyone.

----------------

Were just need Carbon Nano Tubes capable of the stress... I worked on this a bit in my summer internship. There testing SiAlON based ceramics. So far there are no nano tubes that can withstand the stress and manufacturing also is a few years back. In 20 years they will build the nanotubes. So best estimate in 50 years we will probably do it since new technology is rarely used i.e. cost and relative reluctance to use new untested products.

I was speaking to a friend of mine at Caltech and he says they're readily producing C60 nanotubes... the only catch is that the max length they've been able to attain was around 10mm. On the other hand, you have to realize that it's an enormous length on the atomic scale, considering that they're single molecules. A couple more orders of magnitude longer should not be as far as 20 years... maybe 10. But if such a project were to be undertaken, and finances would pour into research I bet that time could come a lot sooner.

P.S. Financing, blind concervatism and lack of foresight are holding a lot science back (it's not really news, since those things have been an obstacle to science for generations). The cure for insulin-dependent diabetes (also known as Type I or juvenile) is virtually around the corner, but unfortunately for us, who have the technological capability and supporting reserach, no experiments with human tissues will take place (at least not anytime soon), since they require embryonic stem cells. It's really too bad. I have a friend who has Type I diabetes, and all I can do is pray that he doesn't go blind, lose limbs or have a stroke before this legislature is overturned.

Richard Branson, Isaac Asimov, and Hugh Heffner are working on a project called Virgin Orbital Insertion...

BTW, doesn't the name "Rutan" sound a bit "Superman-ish", i.e Jor-El? Wait, no, sorry, I am thinking of Ru-Pal...

----------------

On 10/5/2004 1:35:07 AM meuge wrote:

P.S. Financing, blind concervatism and lack of foresight are holding a lot science back (it's not really news, since those things have been an obstacle to science for generations). The cure for insulin-dependent diabetes (also known as Type I or juvenile) is virtually around the corner, but unfortunately for us, who have the technological capability and supporting reserach, no experiments with human tissues will take place (at least not anytime soon), since they require embryonic stem cells. It's really too bad. I have a friend who has Type I diabetes, and all I can do is pray that he doesn't go blind, lose limbs or have a stroke before this legislature is overturned.

----------------

One of the great lies of the left is that FETAL setm cells are required. The truth is that ADULT stem cells work as well or better. The core of the matter over FETAL anything is that we should not take the lives of those individuals who are giving up the stem cells. FETAL cells are mainly a prop for the abortion industry, an industry that is feeling the pressure of public opinion and morality pressing in.

Really, meuge, as one who is studying to be a doctor, you should know better.