Do JBL speakers compare....

christjared

"You would need to drop back some years and go old school -- then there is all kinds of stuff."

I would suggest several.

The Lancer 77 would be a comparably priced model in used $$$, and would be a good alternative to compare vs. the KG4.

In slightly larger models (and more $$$), see the L65 Jubal and the L100. Very nice.

When looking at vintage JBL, be sure the surrounds are in good condition. If not, allow money for refoaming. Often JBL of this vintage need refoaming. If obtained for a fair price, the refoam is worth the trouble - those old JBL classics sound GREAT1.gif

They are one of a few speaker brands that test my loyalty to Klipsch - particularly when we are talking JBL of old.

Occasionally I have dreams of JBL Sovereign/Olympus S8R systems dancing in my head. I usually wake up when I find out they are more $$ than used Klipschorns.

I agree with the others. The older JBL is a very comparable sound to many in the Klipsch line and your ear may say that there are certain advantages in various model side by side comparison to Klipsch.

There is a very large number of reliable repair folks for their drivers, surrounds, lens, etc. They are admirable performers and I lean toward their older professional stuff.

A note on the Lancer 77, make sure the surrounds are replaced on the woofers and passives by JBL technicians so they are in compliance with original specs. The LE20-1 tweeter is supposedly one of JBL's best.

The L110 is a highly praised model on www.audioreview.com. I have a pair that I just put back into the living room. I cannot compare the L110 to the KG4 fairly without sounding biased toward the L110. So, since this is the Klipsch site, I will keep my opinions to myself. But if I was pressed, I would say something like, 'The KG4, IMO, just simply lacks "life" compared to the L110. I owned the KG4 for about a year and sold them. They never made me notice the music and they lacked "punch."' That is how I would compare them.

JBL made some 4 way studio moniters that sounded great. Good bass,mids and highs. I think they were around 400.-500 pr in the 70's.I think it used a 10 or 12 inch woofer.

I had been dating Jeff's sister and got to hang around with Jeff some and listen to music and go for motorcycle rides. we had become friends and Jeff eventually went to dahlquists with the necessary power amps and pre amp.

AF,

I have a pair of 4311s that I bought new in '72. My son gave me a pair of '86 Heresy IIs a year ago, and I must say they are very close in sound with these differences:

1. The JBLs go lower. They are rated to 45Hz on the bottom end, compared to the Heresy II being a bit higher.

2. The Heresy IIs are more efficient. Substantially so.

3. The Heresies are symmetrical, where the JBLs are not. I don't really think you can tell the difference when sitting ten feet away, but that may just be me.

4. They are almost the same physical size, give or take a little bit. Hard decision to make.

I like them both. I use a small sub with the Heresies, so now the playing field is more level. There may be a tad bit more detail in the Heresies mids. Maybe I just want there to be. The JBLs cost $329 each in '72, and I have no idea what the Heresies cost then, or KG4s. The 4311s don't have foam surrounds, but a treated cloth surround. They have held up great. I have a pair of two way L56s that have foam surrounds, but they are holding up okay so far (don't sound like much. The two way with the crossover at 2k or 2.1k has no mids at all).

Marvel

One of the dealers that did the bid for my school gym sound system listed a pair of JBL AM6515/95 mated to a 1000wpc amp. He was very upset when I told him I found the industrial La Scala's, & tried to tell me that the JBL's would be much better than the Las. He even offered to bring a pair over & do an A/B comparison with them, convinced I would then buy the JBL's.

I should take him up on it.....I just need to make sure I have a camera pointed at his face when we switch over to the Klipsch.

----------------

On 10/7/2004 6:52:47 PM TBrennan wrote:

cyclon---Learn a little bit about the JBL you so easily dismiss.

----------------

Maybe I do need to call him then... I could always use a good lesson or two.

Edit: I guess I need to do a memory check as well... One of our other schools also had a theater built recently, & they put in JBL's. They really do sound good in there.

Cyclone---Well what matters is that you and the people at the school are pleased, which you obviously are. And LSs will play louder in the bass than that JBL with it's single DR 15 regardless of how much power is pushed to it.

One interesting spec that JBL Pro shows in some of their spec sheets is compression. For instance the 2226 is a high output 15 with very high power handling. But the specs show that after a certain amount of power is into the driver more power gives little or no increase in output. The driver's mechanical limits are reached before it's thermal limits. Of course this makes for a very reliable driver.

----------------

On 10/7/2004 9:19:56 PM TBrennan wrote:

Cyclone---Well what matters is that you and the people at the school are pleased, which you obviously are. And LSs will play louder in the bass than that JBL with it's single DR 15 regardless of how much power is pushed to it.

----------------

Actually, power was my first concern. I was not able to convince the installer that a 1kw amp on a portable cart run by students was not a good idea. The cart gets used for many other things as well, usually connected to a pair of EV 15" 350 watt monitors as well as other smaller speakers. They would never stand a chance in this use. I knew I needed a small amp, & of course, I thought of the Las. Also, the JBL's price was $200 more than a new pair of Las, plus the cost of that 1kw amp.