Squaker's just too abrasive on Klipschorn......

Born2RockU

I finally got my FIRST pair of Klipschorns (AK-3's) ...time to celebrate right???

....well, I feel that the Squaker is too abrasive and loud.

Question to ALL YOU CROSSOVER experts.....I use B+K amp and Ref 50 Pre....

my question is.

...WHAT will I need to approach to soften and smooth out the abrasive squaker?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) You can change the 13uf Aerovox cap in the AK-3 to a higher quality one or a Jensen PIO.

2) You can try a another tap on the autoformer to lower the K-55M's output, or try a K-55V midrange instead.

3) Use a better SS amp or tubes.

4) Put cotton in your ears.

Did you audition Klipschorns before you picked up a set?? If so, what preamp and amplification was running them?? Each person's ear is subjective, and it would help to know what sources were running the Klipschorns that prompted your purchase....

Its all about system synergy. Klipschorns are pretty forgiving speakers, but like all speakers, they favor some amplification over others. My own ear really likes Klipschorns run by all tubes (pre and amp), but by solid state - not so much. And some solid state is more forgiving than others. I suspect that the harshness may be more of an issue with your selection of pre/pro and amp than with the crossover/squaker. I am just not a big fan of the B&K/Klipsch combination - always was too abrasive for me. Every time I mention this about B&K, there are a number of responses disagreeing with me. But again, its all subjective - what your own ears like...

You may have to go with tubes to get the sound you desire. Given that your preference may be with rock, you may want to look for a nice set of PP monoblocks....

Of course, I could be wrong.

Carl.

Thank You sincerly for assisting me in this endevour. I just purchased my Ref 50 and B+K amps...so that is out of the question...for now ! YOu suggested...

1) You can change the 13uf Aerovox cap in the AK-3 to a higher quality one or a Jensen PIO.

2) You can try a another tap on the autoformer to lower the K-55M's output, or try a K-55V midrange instead.

Does the K-55V incredibly moother and how would I change the 13UF cap ? Do you do this service?

That's the one thing that would be a nice addition to the heritage squawkers ...a knob to adjust the intensity... sort of like on the big Altecs. I don't find mine abrasive but it would be nice to be able to chage the mid sound at will.

Regardless of whether or not changing the amp is out of the question, you owe it to yourself to find out if the amp is delivering high distortion at the very low powers at which your KHorns are operating. People new to Klipsch simply don't initially grasp just how little power it takes to create some very loud sound with these speakers. Many ss amps produce substantial distortion at these low power levels. If you can borrow a good tube amp or Class-A ss, give it a try.

Also, be sure your power is filtered. There are plenty of good line filters available. RF brought in through the power line modulates the audio frequencies creating a mess of cross-products that are perfeclty timed with the audio (because it is modulation) and sound like it is part of it.

Also, are these speakers new? Maybe some break-in will help.

Take it slow. There's a lot to learn. Klipsch speakers let you know a lot of things about what's going in, that you probably didn't know about.

Leo

The addition of Klipschorns often reveal deficiencies in the sources we use as well as the materiel we listen to. Would be nice if you could listen to another members system with similar Heritage speakers. Too often harshness can be attributed to a less than desirable CD player, or CD's for that matter.

Don't get too frustrated, give yourself time to work through these difficulties, you and your ears will be richly rewarded in the end.

Wes

if you have to keep the amp and pre, then begin by seeing if you can dampen the room a bit, sound absorbing materials, etc. then you might try padding the mid and treble drivers as suggested, other then that you may have to bite the bullet and swap out the SS stuff...klipsch speakers are revealing, so much so that they show you the good bad and ugly of whatever components you hook up to them. if those little tweak don't do it then I suggest one has gotta go, the k-horns or the amplification.

regards, tony

btw forget using alks to fix this problem, they IMHO make the klipschorns even more revelaing and clear sounding, that just might kill ya.

It sounds (pun intended) as if your room is the likely culprit. I've never heard B&K described as harsh before - every testament I've heard from B&K/Klipsch owners (including my personal experience) points towards B&K having a very warm (relatively to other SS amps) sound.

I just hooked up my new Khorns with the AK-3 also. I am using Parasound HALO gear and don't find that to be a problem. However, everybody has different taste for how they like their sound. One option I highly recommend, is to get AL's ALK crossovers for your Khorns. Then, you can adjust the mids to your hearts content! I had the ALK's in my Belles, but they have been removed and will be going on the Khorns when I have time. The ALK, IMO, are superior, certainly to the AB network that was in my Belles.

Also, your room acoustics will have a great impact on the sound, as much as anything else. Right now mine are in a room with hardwood floors, too many windows and no carpet...it is to say very "live" sounding.

----------------

On 10/27/2004 4:58:37 PM meuge wrote:

It sounds (pun intended) as if your room is the likely culprit. I've never heard B&K described as harsh before - every testament I've heard from B&K/Klipsch owners (including my personal experience) points towards B&K having a very warm (relatively to other SS amps) sound.

----------------

Meuge: I just suggested to him in a PM to first investigate treating his room. As for B&K, even though many here like them with Klipsch, I personally found them too bright/piercing at high volumes, including the Ref 50 + modern B&K amp combo, and I know at least one other forum member who shares that opinion. I do not really want to get all of the B&K owners on the defensive, but lets just say it is possible that his SS pre/pro and amp may have something to do with it.

With the disclaimer that we all have different ears and tastes and again, there are many happy B&K/Klipsch owners in here.

Carl.

----------------

On 10/27/2004 5:22:16 PM cjgeraci wrote:

Meuge: I just suggested to him in a PM to first investigate treating his room. As for B&K, even though many here like them with Klipsch, I personally found them too bright/piercing at high volumes, including the Ref 50 + modern B&K amp combo, and I know at least one other forum member who shares that opinion. I do not really want to get all of the B&K owners on the defensive, but lets just say it is possible that his SS pre/pro and amp may have something to do with it.

With the disclaimer that we all have different ears and tastes and again, there are many happy B&K/Klipsch owners in here.

Carl.

----------------

I didn't mean to come across as defensive.

Perhaps there is something in the Ref50 that makes the system bright. I wouldn't know as I have never heard it. I am using an Aragon preamp with my B&K amp, and it's smooth as silk, compared to an Adcom I auditioned, as well as the receiver I had previously used to power my RF-3IIs.

----------------

On 10/27/2004 5:54:22 PM dbflash wrote:

I do not want to start a war but I would like to know what speaker wire and interconnects you are using?

I also noticed that rope caulking both my Heresy's and KLF20s smoothed out my system. Not a night and day difference, but a difference.

Don't give up.

Danny

----------------

Right on, Danny! I would go for the room as suggested by Tony above, and then the wires as the possible culprits.

In either case, the problem could be corrected by one or a combination of those two things, IMO.

I would not blame the gear until I had checked out the environment and signal path first. As a bonus, it is also the cheapest route, too.

DM2.gif