I need a ~$1000 CD player

killerbee_vr6

I have a Sony SCD333ES, which is a complete turd. Not only does it not like playing CDs, it's bright as all hell. Did I mention that it's 10 feet from my speakers and the Choruses can still make it skip? I've been out of touch for a while, and I don't know what is good out there anymore. I'd like to spend 500-1000 for a regular two-channel player. Recommendations?

----------------

On 11/16/2004 8:46:07 PM DeanG wrote:

The 333ES isn't really "bright" -- I consider it rather neutral actually. It's probably skipping because the lens is dirty. So, what'cha running for an amp?
:)

----------------

It was noticeably brighter than the Parasound CDP-1000 I replaced it with. It's the speakers that skip the CD player. It directly corresponds with loud bass peaks. The amp is a Mac MC252.

I've been delighted with the AH! Njoe Tjoebs CD w/ upsampler.

Another very pleasing machine is the Heart 6000, which is also a Dutch Marantz conversion.

Decware has got a conversion CD that I'd love to hear, but haven't. It is price friendlier than AH! with upsampler.

I have another suggestion. As opposed to paying $1000 for a CD player, why not use the digital out of your CD player, relegate it to transport status and purchase this:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1105766030

for under $300. IMO this will be money much better spent, and you'll save $700 which you can use towards something else... or send them to me : )

I also just bought the AH Njoe Tjoeb 4K..w/upsampler , goofy feet etc. What a great player..and I haven't even broken it in!! It's kinda funny..it's not bright, like SS CD players, yet more detail is there..isn't this like an oxymoron?? Anyway, I have all tube equipment, what with the Scott 130 pre, and the Assemblage 300B SET..geez, I think I'm set!

Highly recommended unit, the AH!

See upscaleaudio.com..nice folks!

Steve

Wait till that Ah! settles in, you think it sounds good now, it all makes sense after a couple of hundred hours.

Great product backing on the Ah!, I had the upsampler fail on me last week, called Upscale Audio and spoke to Kevin Deal the owner. It turns out it was just out of warranty but he replaced it free of charge, that was very upstanding of them.

Tom

----------------

On 11/16/2004 9:55:59 PM jwcullison wrote:

hey big daddy'

Are u runnin tube preamp and a tube amp with your AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000?

----------------

--JW

Yep. Juicy Music Peach preamp and Wright 2A3 monoblocks. Also alternate a Transcendent Sound SE OTL with the Wright's.

Sounds "live"!

Dilemmas are a pain.

You can use most players strictly as modes of reading CDs or transports. The digital signal is "uploaded" into a separate computer (DAC) component which then processes the digital signal N2 analogue for your listening pleasure(s). If you use a player in this manner you bypass all of that players signal processing. It simply isn't used (or needed). Therefore if this is the intended configuration you don't need to obtain an expensive CD player, just one that samples well. There are players designed to be used only as transports and, indeed, your current player may provide adequate upsampling performance.

Then you will be looking to find a DAC that meets the wallet and the ears. The downside is that no DAC upsamples SACD signals. So if your future looks to having SACD then current DACs won't be adaptable.

If you want SACD then you will be looking for a CD unit that also reads SACD, etc... It will be a stand alone component.

Lastly, you might consider waiting. It seems that there's always something better around the corner. Personally, I believe that the CD world is ripe for something "new and amazing". Don't know for sure and maybe other Forum members do. Input anyone??

Good luck and happy days!! 10.gif