Tube amp confusion (PLEASE NO FLAME WARS)

delano

Leo -- OT -- you've mentioned a few times what I recall as an outlet strip or RFI/EMI filter from Staples -- what is it, what exactly does it do, and what are the benefits? Anything along the lines of lowered noise floor, better TT and CD player running or anything like that?

Thanks!

Larry

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 11/28/2004 6:13:44 PM delano wrote:

Sorry,

mr friends speakers were also heresy's.

Delano

----------------

Dude - what's your question?!

Let's review:

1) you thought the SET sounded great

2) its the same price as the other 35w amp

3) you have the same type of speakers that you listened to

If you are specifically trying to NOT own exactly the same gear as your friend, then what is your question?

DM

Craig,

You know I am not technical enough to understand this stuff. It just seemed a weird combo because of the way they describe it in the review. On this forum we are refering to it as a 30 watt amp.

They are refering to it, essentially, as a 0.4 to 1.1 wpc amp - with another 24-30 watts of headroom depending on the load being driven. They are very strong on the idea that this headroom is really only for peaks and transients - although there is nothing in the test to suggest it cant run a constant 10 watts, for example.

Now you, Mark, Dean and Leo know a lot more about all this than me. Maybe it is just phraseology - but I got the distinct impression there was something different about this amp.

Leo,

The most interesting thing about this amp is the price. It is not that just under $4000 is a small amount for an amp such as this - but it is a tiny amount for anything from Avantgarde - hell their stands cost that much.

Cant help wondering if one of the larger volume manufacturers got hold of the design if it wouldnt fall to digital amp pricing...

It is - apparently - the best amplification ever made for a KHorn too.

But I am quoting this from someone else - I have never heard it for myself.

...and all this time I thought it was the first watt that mattered most!

I went from a 200w/ch McIntosh to an 8w/ch tube amp... my wife claims the McIntosh and more punch and slam. I agree, but the tube amp sounds better with a whole lot bigger and better presence and has more of a "real' sound than the SS "reproduced" sound. At this point in my life, 8w/ch is more than enough.

Fact is, if you play loud, you need the power... don't let anybody tell you otherwise...

Max,

It looks promising. Not many people out there making amps for horn-loaded speakers. The "Horn-Mono" is the last I remember, but never heard. Klipsch users may tend to wait for a bit of a price drop from $4K. Avant Garde users my not be quite as price sensitive.

LarryC,

I have the power filter model at home. Basically it has surge protection and rf filtering. The rf filtering is what cleans up the audio. RF gets into the audio in all components (sources and amps, and modulates it.

Leo

Tony,

No, I hadn't seen. Thanks. I wonder how much influence conversations on this web site, and the movement back to tubes in general, have had on designs of new ss amps. Clearly designers are getting the message that traditional ss is no longer competative for people who care how their audio systems sound.

Leo

"Clearly designers are getting the message that traditional ss is no longer competative for people who care how their audio systems sound."

I think this really only applies to speakers with high sensitivity.

Watch Nelsen Pass closely. He just got done designing an amplifer specifically for single driver designs. I believe he will tackle horns next.

----------------

On 12/1/2004 3:28:47 PM leok wrote:

I think it might be a big deal, in the same way pwm amps are. Traditional ss amps had some problems that prevented their promise of clean, low distortion power from being a reality for all but a few designs, if any. The fact that so many people listening to Klipsch speakers use tube amps is clear demonstration that ss has a few problems, especially at low power. If ss designs are developed that address the fundamental ss issues, then there may be real, cheaper, more convenient, alternatives, like pwm, to tube amps with competative sound. I think that is a big deal.

Leo
----------------

It sure isn't a big deal to me I personally just couldn't give up the "tubes a glowing" they just seem to add something to the mix that SS or chip amps just can't muster. It may just be the romance and have nothing to do with the sound who knows.

Craig

It may just be the romance and have nothing to do with the sound who knows.

Craig

The possibility of you having a romantic thought in that solder slinger brain of yours makes me nervous.

Taking the "honey" on a mosquito infested Canadian fishing trip once a year cannot be defined as romantic.

===========

There is something hard to describe about sitting on the couch listening to really cranking VRDs; it aint romantic...

its a stiffy!

Any fool can throw a handful of electrical components into a box, with a few knobs and a transformer and call it a hi-fi amplifier. When hooked up to a transducer - noise is generated.

I dread to think how many mass market manufacturers have unloaded such poorly deigned products on to the unsuspecting public.

At least with most tube amp manufacturers, we can be guaranteed that some thought has gone into sound quality - regardless of the specific quoted power output. Most manufacturers of low powered tube amplifiers have taken more care with the limited power they have, squeezing the last drop of sound quality from every watt.

I believe, however, that old chestnut that tubes are inherently better than solid state is irrelevant now. More to the point is that certain solid state manufacturers are prepared to make outright sound quality a genuine objective at a reasonable price, rather than deliver x number of watts because they are able to. Properly designed solid state CAN compete with tubes. So too, can solid state give you that first clean watt... and a few more besides.

For $1900 you can buy these, get some REAL output tubes and never look back. No amp you can buy new will be as well made or hold their value like these. And I know they will sound FANTASTIC!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50593&item=5734638136&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

----------------

Yup! Went for just a little less. I was 2nd highest bidder.14.gif

It will take a good bottle of champagne to get me over this depression.15.gif If anyone has a good idea to get these? Thanks. Tim. Allan, thanks for your advice, better luck next time. 1.gif

----------------

On 12/2/2004 8:05:52 AM Timmikid wrote:

For $1900 you can buy these, get some REAL output tubes and never look back. No amp you can buy new will be as well made or hold their value like these. And I know they will sound FANTASTIC!

----------------

Yup! Went for just a little less. I was 2nd highest bidder.14.gif

It will take a good bottle of champagne to get me over this depression.15.gif If anyone has a good idea to get these? Thanks. Tim. Allan, thanks for your advice, better luck next time. 1.gif

----------------

Tim-

If you aren't a stickler for condition, MC30s routinely go for less than that. I will never sell mine, unless my kid is starving. Put some pitting on the chrome and rub some lettering off. Scratch the transformers, too, and you've got world class sound for about a grand. Add a power supply rework and 350B outputs and you're set for well under your bid on those. I appreciate a beautiful example cosmetically, but cosmetic condition really drives value on these. As they say, "Chrome don't get you home, but it sure looks nice."

You are ofcourse very right, cosmetics are nice, but not the most important. I will have to be patient. In the meantime I would like to spend the time well looking for nice tubes for them, because I am convinced I will find a pair sooner or later. If anyone has some nice leftovers?

BTW, BC, I somehow am of the strong opinion that your son should go on a diet!

2.gif