2nd oldest knownCornwall

khorn58

I tried to win the second oldest cornwall to this group, but was our bid DAM DAM.

I have been looking for years for a mate to mine.

really wanted a match to my early 60 Cornwall. I think i have been asking aropund for abour 3 years hear.

I did get the bidding up to over 960 which was way more than I really wanted to pay.

who ever won if you ever want to sell let me Know.

Yep, that was my brother in law Gilbert. Khorn58 it was really a not a good match to yours, it had the Jensen 15PLL vs. the EV 15WK woofer and the cabinet was not the earlier more ornate style like yours. The smaller midhorn and little woofer hole are totally different as well.

I pondered it as a center but decided to stick with a horn loaded center for my main Khorn's so I didn't bid. I was going to go $1K on it if I did.

What is the S/N of your '60 Cornwall? So Gilbert now has the oldest known pair of Cornwalls (beats my pair by 6 months) and the 2nd oldest Cornwall. With 9 Cornwalls now I would certainly consider him a collector of fine sonic antiquities.

you guys are killing me. I just need one vertical- been chasing this dream for about a year now. And you are counting numbers of pairs and vintages of Cornwalls.

I checked my Name Date yesterday (see general thread) and my patron, Michael the Archangel is also known and the (get this) Protector of Cornwall. I am destined to own more of these sonic beauties. So give me a break if one comes up, will ya?

I've lost two pairs to sales directly on this forum, to say nothing of the Ebay fiascos.

Michael

Khorn:

My appologies, but I have been in love with the Cornwall's since I aquired my first pair, approximately 3 or so years ago, and have become increasingly addicted to their beauty, charm and superior musical qualities ever since. Cornwalls are a true classic speaker IMO, I am forever hopelessly addicted to them.

But you have my promise, if I should decide to ever part with her or any of my vintage 60's pairs, you will be the first person I offer them to. I give you my word, you will be first.

Regards,

Gilbert

gilbert,

It is good someone from here won now we can get your input on how it sounds.

I do belive it has the same drivers as my 60 except for the Ev 15. the crossover looks real close also. mine has the same port and small hole and small mid driver ect.

My serial # is 118 built april 15 1960.

I do have a oak finsh PWK signed 61 for trade for a early rear port cornwall

I have a 59 Short horn that is almost the same aas my 60 cornwall except it has the corner shaped cabnet

The short horn has the same drivers and front grill as my 60. I was thinking Of just building a clone and using the

The shorthorn front grill and panel and drivers for a perfect match.

Khorn:

Where are you located? Close to Tulsa I hope. Email me some pic's of what you might be willing to trade, and maybe,... maybe...we can work out a trade.

Also, to give you an idea about how much I love Cornwalls, I love them so much that I made a Vermont road trip just to pick up my 61's.

Gilbert, have you changed the crossovers in any of yours yet? Check my sig. I am listening to them now with Deans crossovers. Dire Straits is playing "Brother in Arms". Plugging along at 92dbs VRD's barely working, BB smooth and quiet, strings can be heard clearly, bass strong, vocals unbelieveable, no miss...no falter...no distortion... could it be SS?

Oh well, I just got carried away. Thanks to all the supporters who made/sold the equipment to get me to this point. And on the way a quad of GOLD LION KT88's from Guy L. That should about put this system over the top.

Maybe some expensive interconnects next? Currently using Signal Cables best.

Craig - did you ever try some?

Mdennen - did you receive the return BB cover?

Congrats Gilbert. I was an early bidder on the first, cancelled auction, but when it came up again I decided not to bid because I figured either you or khorn58 would give it a very good home with its close cousins (and I think I would have only served to run up the bidding). Probably a good thing I didn't go for it, I just found out I have to shell out over a grand to the dentist for my son's teeth. I'll have to hold off on more audio stuff for a while!15.gif

Gilbert,

I am more closer to Vt.

Boston ma area is were I live.

The PWK signed 61 cornwall is not in mint shap but still org. And signed by the man. He Is the one that tested it and Signed and dated it.

I'll try to post some pics.

I wonder how many rear port Cornwall were made.

seems like there were at lest two types

Tillmbil:

I have changed the crossovers in 3 of the pairs, with ALK's. Although I wouldn't mind giving DeanG's a try.

Khorn: You live way the phuck out there like CB. Geez, I don't know how you guys can take that cold weather, especially CB, since he was raised in Laredo, Tx where a cold winter can drop the temps well below 80deg and even into the 60's on rare occassions.

On another note....The one thing I would really like to get a hold of is a tube amp. I think in 2005 I'll make a move and get one. I was going for a MC275, but thought otherwise after reading several discuraging post from some of the forum members. Now I'm thinking a pair of MC30's, or a Scott, or a Marantz, or god knows what. I need to listen to some your guys set ups.

My musical interest are very very broad, but overall I'm almost always in the mood for some good Ol Rock n Roll.

Fini, I will definitely take that as the ultimate compliment, thank you. From what I know about Gary, he's my kind of people, and I will do my best to stop by and meet him next years when the company sends me out on another round of nation wide site inspections. I usually do about 15 to 20 a year, after that the wife complains that I'm gone too much.

Your on the list too, for my next New York excursion. God, I just hope they send me when the weather is good.

Thanks again for the compliment, now go get some kleenex, and wipe your eye's.2.gif

Gilbert,

Always an open invitation. I know you want to visit the zebras anyway!9.gif

BTW - If you're going to NY to see Fini, you'll need a flight that has a stopover in California!

Bill,

You're killin' me! When you brining those khorns home? Does the wife even know yet? Its only been a year.11.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/1/2004 6:04:54 PM tillmbil wrote:

Gilbert, have you changed the crossovers in any of yours yet? Check my sig. I am listening to them now with Deans crossovers. Dire Straits is playing "Brother in Arms". Plugging along at 92dbs VRD's barely working, BB smooth and quiet, strings can be heard clearly, bass strong, vocals unbelieveable, no miss...no falter...no distortion... could it be SS?

Sounds great, no?

Oh well, I just got carried away. Thanks to all the supporters who made/sold the equipment to get me to this point. And on the way a quad of GOLD LION KT88's from Guy L. That should about put this system over the top.

I love the Gold Lions, enjoy, I also use a 1957 metal base phillips rectifier, it seems to have a more accurate base, and a bit smoother mid-range than the mullard. Congrats, I think you will love them.

Maybe some expensive interconnects next? Currently using Signal Cables best.

I bought a pair Empress interconnects, along with apair of APL, I am trying to decide which I like better. Both are reasonable, considering the prices of the high end manufacturers. I went into a audio store(high end)told the I paid thousands, and I wanted better. They pulled out Valhalla, I felt these sounded better. But what do I know, I didn't pay 3k for mine, so he thought his sounded better.

Craig - did you ever try some?

Mdennen - did you receive the return BB cover?

----------------