mc 30's on their long way to Holland

Timmikid

Hi guys, some of you may have noticed (because I said so) that I was the second highest bidder on eBay for a nice pair of mc 30's. Now it appears that the highest bidder is a fake and the seller offered them to me. My highest bid (a stunning $1859.99) will get them to Terry's at Audio Refurbishers insured! I'm very happy that it appears that I have won the items anyway, even though it's more money than I thought they would end up to be. One of my questions is: Is this second chance offering normal and safe? The seller seems trustworthy. Any comments?

I take it that Terry knows what he is doing, but anyone have any suggestions on which instructions I should give him. I would prefer NOS to those Sovteks and I guess I can use my 6L6's that are in the 272 I got from Craig for the time being until I find worthy replacement. Any input welcome and have a great weekend, Tim. 1.gif

----------------

On 12/4/2004 6:02:22 AM Timmikid wrote:

Hi guys, some of you may have noticed (because I said so) that I was the second highest bidder on eBay for a nice pair of mc 30's. Now it appears that the highest bidder is a fake and the seller offered them to me. My highest bid (a stunning $1859.99) will get them to Terry's at Audio Refurbishers insured! I'm very happy that it appears that I have won the items anyway, even though it's more money than I thought they would end up to be. One of my questions is: Is this second chance offering normal and safe? The seller seems trustworthy. Any comments?

I take it that Terry knows what he is doing, but anyone have any suggestions on which instructions I should give him. I would prefer NOS to those Sovteks and I guess I can use my 6L6's that are in the 272 I got from Craig for the time being until I find worthy replacement. Any input welcome and have a great weekend, Tim.
1.gif

----------------

Hi Timmikid, I'd be real suspicious about the seller. Who's to say it wasn't him or a friend of his who drove the price up. It happens all the time at auctions, not a nice thing to think about but true. If nothing else I'd report this to ebay even if you are going to stay with the deal. Not saying Terry did anything wrong, I don't know him. Best of luck, Randy

Hi Timmikid, I'd be real suspicious about the seller. Who's to say it wasn't him or a friend of his who drove the price up. It happens all the time at auctions, not a nice thing to think about but true. If nothing else I'd report this to ebay even if you are going to stay with the deal. Not saying Terry did anything wrong, I don't know him. Best of luck, Randy

----------------

Hi Randy,

I was thinking of this, also the fact that the highest bidder only has 4 feedback. The Terry I mentioned has nothing to do with this sale, he is MCintosh repairman with a great status in MC circles. The seller will send the mc's to him to go over, then Terry will ship them to me in Holland.

Again, I put this bid down as my highest bid and for that he offers me shipping plus insurance to Terry, I could have won the auction having to pay for shipping and insurance as well. I just hope that everything goes ahead as planned. Tim.

Second chance offers are relatively common. I've won an item that way. As for whether or not the seller is trustworthy, you should have analyzed that well before you bid.

Also, if the seller artificially drove the price up, you should be able to trace the feedback, and the Seller should have already left a Negative feedback for the fake buyer. I other words, make sure you see a negative feedback to the winner that didn't come through with the $$. I'm gonna take another peek at this completed auction, I was just there yesterday.

Okay, I'm back:

Yea. I'd be suspicious. The winner"pufol" has only 4 feedbacks, none of them negative. If I were the seller, I would have already left a negative feedback....Would'nt you.

----------------

On 12/4/2004 6:02:22 AM Timmikid wrote:

I'm very happy that it appears that I have won the items anyway, even though it's more money than I thought they would end up to

----------------

Yeah just try to come in under budget on an audio system.

I like budgets I especially like the wooshing sound they make as they fly by.

some sellers don't routinely post neg fdbk for deadbeat bidders, not wanting the expected retaliatory neg left for them. it's a classical double-edged sword. I would look at recent sales of the same models to see what they have been going for, but I imagine timmikid already did his homework and knew what he was willing to pay and why.

Getting a shill to run up the price of an auction isn't always a winner for the seller either. Sometimes the shill wins the auction, then the seller has to start over, or maybe offer a second chance deal to the first loser. :)

Tom:

It's my understanding, based on reading ebay's feedback rules, that illegitmate or false negative feedbacks can be removed. It's suppose to take some time, but that's what ebay's rules state. It's buried in there liturature, but it's there.

Personally, I wouldn't bat an eye, I'd leave negative feedback in an instant to any fraud.

Timm,

I think Paul's point is a good one. If the winning bid landed within the last few seconds I would expect it was not one arranged by the seller.

The only questions are - do you want these amps and are you prepared to pay the price?

It does not seem that you have any worries over them being as described, and having them sent to a third party for rejuvenation would certainly help explaining to ebay that they were less than expected.

Just take it as "this was meant to be" and go from there.

Thanks to all replies!

Gilbert:

Well. I thought it was pretty strange that the back-out bidder decided not to go for this item within 24 hrs. I received the 2nd chance offer within 36 hrs. after end of bidding.

Paul:

You are right, although the seller could be a gambler of course, but it seems unlikely.

Seti:

Yeah, budgets are there to be broken. I like budgets' bang when they break the holy sound barrier!2.gif

Guy:

Of course you are right as well, but hey what's $1850.- if you really want them, considering that shipping, checkup, insurance and import duties will probably add up to over $600.- (at least) as well.

Tom:

Yup, although homework is not my 'Forte'.

Gilbert:

Yes, fraud must be rewarded by at least negative feedback (IMHO also a black eye, but I should strive for peace they say.)

At one of my first ebay buys I was too shy to leave negative feedback, although I went for a NM lp and received a slightly scratched lp with a lot of crackle and pops (visibly and audibly). Since then I swore to be honest, also as a buyer to protect at least others from these @@##$%(&&^*&^. Fortunately everything since was fine.

Max:

This was meant to be. I like that phrase, like we're talking 'bout true love.

"It does not seem that you have any worries over them being as described".

Should I?

Ben:

In another thread you said that you would never sell your mc-30's, unless your kid was starving. I replied, a poor attempt to be funny, that IMO it was time to put your kid on a diet. Thinking that over I realised that this could be offensive. I would like to appologize for that remark. I wish you never have to sell your mc's and that your family may live long and prosper.

I will keep you informed, any related input or tubes tips always welcome,

Tim.

Tim-

I actually missed that. Haven't been on since then. No offense taken. I thought it was funny, now that you called my attention to it. Thanks, though.

I'm glad to hear you have the 30's in process. Dewick will give them the treatment they deserve, if his reputation is any indication (it usually is).

As far as the second chance bidder thing goes, it is allowed by ebay, and the transaction is still covered under their "rules", such as they are. Caveat emptor and all. I scored my Ampeg B-15 that way, and it's been great. Of course, the seller lived 10 minutes from my workplace, so the risk was less than what you're dealing with.

Marvel, I'd almost loan you the money to keep it from going to "hksuiwong". I wonder what's going to happen to all the beautiful vintage stuff going to the far East when they lose their interest.

Anyway, that pair will probably end up over $1500 by the looks of it, depending on traffic. Still a good value, regardless of market forces. What else can you get for that kind of money? A bunch that can compare, maybe, but beat it by much? I'd guess not...